What's new

Does Lauri Get Traded?

Does Lauri Get Dealt Before The Season Starts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Locke said something on his pod yesterday that I don't think has been discussed. He said he didn't know if it was opinion or knowledge of the situation, but that the longer these Lauri trade discussions are going on, the more expensive his extension will be. I think it was specifically meaning whether we sign him for $15M or $24M of our capspace this year.

Locke also said that if he was Lauri he would not sign until August 8th so that he can't be traded, and he think he kind of is expecting Lauri to wait a couple of days, although I'm pretty sure that is just opinion.

If we take Shams word as truth, I will say that GSW are much more delulu than Jazz fans. It’s not close. There’s like a Bridges type package difference in expectations from the fanbases lol.
I'm sure this has nothing to do with one team having 5x the fan base

Our strategy this off season and how it effects next off season is tricky. I believe Lauri is our only big contract that expires next off season, and so assuming we sign him to an extension we won't have a huge amount of cap to play around with. The protections on our pick are also lowered from top 10 to top 8, which means it is more difficult to make sure we don't convey the pick. We also have pick swaps for 2026, that at this point are most likely useless. Also, the 2026 draft is potentially front loaded, but I'm not sure how deep it is.

All of that kind of adds up to us wanting to be bad again in 2026, but is Lauri really willing to sign up for 2 years of tanking?

Our strategy this off season and how it effects next off season is tricky. I believe Lauri is our only big contract that expires next off season, and so assuming we sign him to an extension we won't have a huge amount of cap to play around with. The protections on our pick are also lowered from top 10 to top 8, which means it is more difficult to make sure we don't convey the pick. We also have pick swaps for 2026, that at this point are most likely useless. Also, the 2026 draft is potentially front loaded, but I'm not sure how deep it is.

All of that kind of adds up to us wanting to be bad again in 2026, but is Lauri really willing to sign up for 2 years of tanking?
All that tanking can reward you with DedEx, Kevin Knox II, Stanley Johnson or Anthony Bennett as the "reward." Be careful what you wish for.

I think if we get the guy in 2025 and we keep Lauri that we will be opportunistic in making win now moves but who knows. Not sure we would finesse the 2026 pick at that point. If we trade Lauri now its a sign we going into the dumps for at least 2 years. That is kind of the reason Lauri is different than cashing in on Sexton/Kessler for me.

If Golden State request to be compensated to deal POdz/Kuminga through acquiring our rookie contract talent, which plays would you be OK sending back to get the full package?

Id deal some combo of Collier, Sensabaugh, Walker and Hendricks. I would want to keep Flip, Key, and Cody.

If Golden State request to be compensated to deal POdz/Kuminga through acquiring our rookie contract talent, which plays would you be OK sending back to get the full package?

Id deal some combo of Collier, Sensabaugh, Walker and Hendricks. I would want to keep Flip, Key, and Cody.

It's extremely hard to say... I like Collier from current rookies more rn than Flip, but Flip has the size and shooting potential that modern NBA needs. I think it'd be easiest to let go of offensive guards that I'll see no all NBA ceiling,so Brice for sure. Walker has great defense but I'm not very sure he'll ever build any kind of reliable jumper, but on the other hand, if his defense bounces back to rookie season level and above, and if he improves his offense a bit, they might regret.

So, in short, Sensabaugh for sure,let him go if asked for it. Hendricks will be very good imo when his shooting keeps improving, keeper. Cody, raw talent is obvious, keeper. I could let go Sensa, then Keynote, Collier and Walker after that.

It's extremely hard to say... I like Collier from current rookies more rn than Flip, but Flip has the size and shooting potential that modern NBA needs. I think it'd be easiest to let go of offensive guards that I'll see no all NBA ceiling,so Brice for sure. Walker has great defense but I'm not very sure he'll ever build any kind of reliable jumper, but on the other hand, if his defense bounces back to rookie season level and above, and if he improves his offense a bit, they might regret.

So, in short, Sensabaugh for sure,let him go if asked for it. Hendricks will be very good imo when his shooting keeps improving, keeper. Cody, raw talent is obvious, keeper. I could let go Sensa, then Keynote, Collier and Walker after that.
Letting go of Keyonte would be crazy crazy.

The way I see it, if you are getting Podz that makes Collier very expendable. You are likely moving forward with Keyonte/Podz as your starting backcourt and I like that combo.

If you are getting Kuminga are you really going to move forward with Walker? They can't play in the floor together most likely. It would be important to keep Kuminga's value high and playing with a limited rolling big would be tough.

Letting go of Keyonte would be crazy crazy.

The way I see it, if you are getting Podz that makes Collier very expendable. You are likely moving forward with Keyonte/Podz as your starting backcourt and I like that combo.

If you are getting Kuminga are you really going to move forward with Walker? They can't play in the floor together most likely. It would be important to keep Kuminga's value high and playing with a limited rolling big would be tough.

Yeah, a lot indeed will come down to which players Jazz would receive in the possible trade. I said I'm ok with anyone else than Cody or Hendricks go. I doubt Keynote is on table for GSW neither.

And yeah, I wouldn't want to let go of Keynote, but I kinda feel Cody will have higher ceiling, and Hendricks I love for his size and motor plus promising shooting mechanics for high ceiling 3 and D wing - that's why I chose to take them two off the table first. These things are so so hard to decide with really young players that are not bulletproof all star prospects.

I would also say all of this is very theoretical. If warriors start asking our young players going out in the possible trade, I think Danny just calls it quits. He smells blood with warriors.

I think if we get the guy in 2025 and we keep Lauri that we will be opportunistic in making win now moves but who knows. Not sure we would finesse the 2026 pick at that point. If we trade Lauri now its a sign we going into the dumps for at least 2 years. That is kind of the reason Lauri is different than cashing in on Sexton/Kessler for me.
Even with Lauri I think it's going to be hard to bottom out in 2025 and then flip a switch and be good in 2026. Not that we're a free agent destination anyway, but we won't have any space to sign anyone. We would be reliant on the trade market where Ainge often strikes out in adding talent because he won't overpay.

I think if we go the tank with Lauri route, we're probably giving up a pretty good pick to OKC in 2026 plus not have any other picks.

Even with Lauri I think it's going to be hard to bottom out in 2025 and then flip a switch and be good in 2026. Not that we're a free agent destination anyway, but we won't have any space to sign anyone. We would be reliant on the trade market where Ainge often strikes out in adding talent because he won't overpay.

I think if we go the tank with Lauri route, we're probably giving up a pretty good pick to OKC in 2026 plus not have any other picks.
I just wonder if a flawed win now guy is available at the right price. Like if you wanted Brandon Ingram right now it wouldn’t cost much. The market seems to have gone completely frigid on guys like that. More likely we don’t get the guy and then pivot away from Lauri in the offseason I suppose. I haven’t done a tone check lately but feel like 12% is right now.

Lauri is a no doubt full max guy right now....what is the percentage chance he falls towards the Ingram-ish territory where that full max gets iffy? I feel as though the standard for a max contract guy has risen considerably with the new CBA. It's something I've overlooked and will need to adjust to. In the old CBA, guys like Ingram, George, Buter ect would have most teams begging them to sign a full max despite their flaws/old age.

5%? 10%?

Lauri is a no doubt full max guy right now....what is the percentage chance he falls towards the Ingram-ish territory where that full max gets iffy? I feel as though the standard for a max contract guy has risen considerably with the new CBA. It's something I've overlooked and will need to adjust to. In the old CBA, guys like Ingram, George, Buter ect would have most teams begging them to sign a full max despite their flaws/old age.

5%? 10%?
There’s a lot to it. Guys that play well with others and are in their 20s will still get paid. See OG Anunoby.

I said few days ago already but Podz deal is not gonna include all the picks.

If you guys put some thought into it you will realize that if they trade Podz they need to retain assets to get a solid replacement for a starting guard who can also lead their 2nd unit. Melton, Hield or GP2 aint it.

Now Anthony Slater said the same thing. He doesnt think they will trade him at all because he is so beloved in the organization, but if they did they would need to leave themselves assets for another significant trade.

View: https://x.com/957thegame/status/1813643762561863780

Back