What's new

Donovan Mitchell - CRT and Off Court Racial Issues were Draining

I didn't single out Mitchell for suffering from racism in Utah. I'm sure it is widespread here, and everywhere. He is the one with the platform, though, that influences many others. His message of the racist people and fans of Utah is biased but too many people will want to believe it to be so.
Almost every NBA player visits Utah at least once a year. Mitchell's not saying anything that isn't already known around the NBA.

I can't count how many times I've heard Mike Conley or Rudy Gobert talk about how draining it was to live in Utah and deal with that on a nightly basis. Not to mention how much Derrick Favors, Alec Burks, and Jae Crowder disliked it. And I'll bet Thurl Bailey can't wait to get out of there. Last I heard, Clarkson is begging for a trade.

Donovan's words are biased though and only partially true. There is racism everywhere but becuase people want to put others down, too many of those who hear his message will believe that we are more racist than is actually true.

Sent from my SM-T970 using JazzFanz mobile app
Like I said think for yourself who cares what one person says no matter who they are. If you cannot do the math thats on you. Location has nothing to do with racism but everything to do with it at the same time

I can't count how many times I've heard Mike Conley or Rudy Gobert talk about how draining it was to live in Utah and deal with that on a nightly basis. Not to mention how much Derrick Favors, Alec Burks, and Jae Crowder disliked it. And I'll bet Thurl Bailey can't wait to get out of there. Last I heard, Clarkson is begging for a trade.
You have to be purposefully obtuse to not see the clear and obvious reasons why a black person might not want to speak out about those things with the reception Donovan has gotten for speaking out about those things.

Donovan did tell you his issues. You said he should shut up and dribble.

I don't know you in real life. Maybe you do as you say when Black friends talk to you about their experiences. But in this particular thread, you seem far more concerned about complaining about the stereotype than just having a Black person's back when they speak up.
It's incredibly telling the responses from this forum the problems are still very real and very prevalent.

It may be hard to believe but different people can have different experiences in nearly the same scenario. Michael Jordan had a much different experience when he won his 6th ring, than, say, Rusty LaRue.

Why do you think all black people are the same? Different people respond in different ways. What exhausts one might energize another.

It may be hard to believe but different people can have different experiences in nearly the same scenario. Michael Jordan had a much different experience when he won his 6th ring, than, say, Rusty LaRue.
Sure. But you'd think that someone would feel similarly if it were such a common issue.

Sure. But you'd think that someone would feel similarly if it were such a common issue.
Maybe they do and just aren't vocal about it. We have had plenty of prominent NBA players make such derogatory comments before, so it isn't new. "You go play in Utah" comes to mind. Not to mention the infamous show-down between douchebag fans and Westbrick.

I'll bow out here. I'm happy to let Donovan be happy somewhere else while we enjoy having a team that likes each other and gives maximum effort... For however long that honeymoon lasts.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

Donovan wasn't painting himself as the victim - he was speaking for other people. And you don't want to hear it because the unavoidable consequence of bringing up these issues is that it makes Utah look bad. As if that consequence isn't worth raising awareness.
Yes he was. In Donovan’s mind he’s always the victim.

I guess I don't understand how Utah's reputation with regard to racism is ever supposed to improve when so many people's gut reaction is to immediately undermine and downplay whenever a Black person speaks of their experiences.

The whole "There's racists everywhere, Utah is being unfairly targeted" group seems to miss a crucial point: The reputation didn't just come from thin air. There's a reason our Black population is essentially non-existent. Racist events may happen everywhere, but from my observation, the general reaction to them when they happen here is less about having Black people's backs and more crying about how unfair it is how much negative attention we're getting. When other Black people see that, it probably doesn't make them want to live here, and certainly doesn't make it feel very welcoming for those who do live here.
Cleveland’s Athletic reporter to Eric Walden when speaking on these matters: “Donovan can expect similar responses here if he gets as involved in politics as he did in Utah in Ohio” Let me preface this by saying that’s not a word for word quote but a summation.

Each issue he brought up factually happened, so I'm not sure how this is true.
Lol…a cop pulled him over and gave him attitude….but must be because he’s black….in the Twittersphere(moron Ville) that resonates. He wasn’t a victim there at all lmao. He experienced every day life.

Last edited:
Maybe they do and just aren't vocal about it. We have had plenty of prominent NBA players make such derogatory comments before, so it isn't new. "You go play in Utah" comes to mind. Not to mention the infamous show-down between douchebag fans and Westbrick.
We’ve had plenty of NBA players say the opposite too. Including those far removed from the NBA. Take Raja Bell for example. He’s said he loved living in Utah…this at a time when he HATED the organization and playing for it. He’s said he stills returns to Utah often, but has said you also don’t see a lot of black faces there. Not seeing black faces doesn’t make all the white ones racist. Raja is real. Donovan’s a “I wanna play victim all the time” kinda guy.

15 pages worth of discussion and people apparently can't agree on a simple reality: two things can be true simultaneously. Yeah, Utah's a right-wing, deeply conservative state with racism ingrained even at religious level. And yes, Donovan is a prima donna who found out that PR stunts can only get you so far.