What's new

Donovan Mitchell...First Team All-Defense

1% as a rookie.

Has a rookie ever made all-defensive 1st team? These things are largely voted on due to reputation and a rookie in Utah just won't have that.

The only person who I can think of off the top of my head who had a chance was Tim Duncan. I looked it up, he made 2nd team All-Defense.

We're hyping Mitchell up to the point where he'll never be able to fulfill our expectations.

Perhaps, but there is also a chance that, when Mitchell ends up falling short of those loft expectations, some fans will pretend that he reached them. lol

Until last month the word was "Haywood is too passive - he's no vocal enough - he's no leader - he's no alpha" Now that we have a rookie who's vocal, hungry and want to chase the right accolades looks like some want him to fail just to have bragging rights on the monthly "I told you so" diatribe.

We are constantly crying that no one outside of SLC hype our players and here we are "unhyping" the best prospect we have had in years.

Until last month the word was "Haywood is too passive - he's no vocal enough - he's no leader - he's no alpha" Now that we have a rookie who's vocal, hungry and want to chase the right accolades looks like some want him to fail just to have bragging rights on the monthly "I told you so" diatribe.

We are constantly crying that no one outside of SLC hype our players and here we are "unhyping" the best prospect we have had in years.

I don't think anyone here wants him to fail. The question is whether he is going to be a great defender right away or a good or great defender only down the line. No rookie wing or guard ever was a great defender right away, since defending well on the perimeter demands not only willingness and athletic prowess but also a certain amount of experience. So, it is basically a given that Mitchell - who seems to have willingness and athletic prowess but lacks experience - will not be good right away. Let's not forget, also, that Mitchell lacks a little size. It doesn't seem likely to me, but it still remains to be seem if that is going to hurt him defensively on the post and, if so, to what extent.

I don't think anyone here wants him to fail. The question is whether he is going to be a great defender right away or a good or great defender only down the line. No rookie wing or guard ever was a great defender right away, since defending well on the perimeter demands not only willingness and athletic prowess but also a certain amount of experience. So, it is basically a given that Mitchell - who seems to have willingness and athletic prowess but lacks experience - will not be good right away. Let's not forget, also, that Mitchell lacks a little size. It doesn't seem likely to me, but it still remains to be seem if that is going to hurt him defensively on the post and, if so, to what extent.

To me there's little chance he is first team all defense, and it has nothing to do with experience to me. I think he will be very good defensively. For me it's that he won't start, play enough mins, and he plays for the jazz so not enough exposure.

It's great for him to have said this, need to have goals so in the off season it drives you to work and continue to get better. As a rookie he will not get the benefit of the whistle as has always been the case for most any rookie and than obviously the normal adjustments to the game from college to NBA.

I think there have bee plenty of rookies that have been good on D and made a name for themselves to be known as defensive player it's just they're generally not guards drafted in the lottery, they're usually 2nd round picks or undrafted players (see Wesley Matthews). Although because of what is mentioned you do have to keep perspective as in being good on D for a rookie.

I think it's important that he's starting off with this mind set and hopefully doesn't get worn down or discouraged as the season goes on because as a rookie it's really a grind. Realistically in his rookie season what I hope to see is for him to have that fight, that want to, not to back down or be afraid or intimidated by any player, have a short memory and know that sometimes some players might get the best of him but if that happens it doesn't mean it will happen the next time.

Basically if he can have a similar mind set and grow that chip on his shoulder as Rudy that is a good base to grow on.

To me there's little chance he is first team all defense, and it has nothing to do with experience to me. I think he will be very good defensively. For me it's that he won't start, play enough mins, and he plays for the jazz so not enough exposure.

I think he'll get a lot of steals per minute but will also get burned a lot and lost on screens often during his first season, all due to being inexperienced.

He'll make mistakes but he's still going to be a good defender. Exum was very good he rookie year with plenty of starts under his belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the OP:

"Speaking on Saturday at a demo for “NBA Live 18,” Mitchell said that his goal for his rookie season is to make First Team All-Defense."

So apparently he is hyping himself.

Lots of NBA players should open with such goals.

Rodney said similar an he became a decent defender after bein labeled a defensive liability. Dennis believed in him an drafted a stud workhorse, a piebald.

I really like hyping DM, but in a slapstick nonsensical way. Dude is a rookie. He will be a contributor this year as a rotation player and may end up being one of our top 6 or 7 guys this year. That is saying a ton for a rookie. 1st team all defense is just flat out not happening. Even if he deserved it he would have to out play it so bad that he'd be one of the most dominant defensive dudes like ever. Awards are almost always a year or two behind where they should be awarded unless it is completely obvious... He'd basically have to be the best defensive player in the league to garner that respect.

My fear is Mitchell gets frustrated if he's not a starter and only gets 20 mins/per. Jazz have 4 players at the 1/2 who need playing time. Other rookies picked in the lottery are stepping into situations where they're going to be starting or getting 30+.

Whatever his defensive achievements are this season, he will play both sides of the ball. I'm excited to see him go at it with the best of them. Even if he gets schooled.

For me it's that he won't start, play enough mins, and he plays for the jazz so not enough exposure.

^^^ These are the reasons Mitchell has very little chance of making All Defensive 1st team.

Still think it's a great goal for him to have, though.

My fear is Mitchell gets frustrated if he's not a starter and only gets 20 mins/per. Jazz have 4 players at the 1/2 who need playing time. Other rookies picked in the lottery are stepping into situations where they're going to be starting or getting 30+.

I don't think I've ever seen a rookie complain whose getting at least 20mpg.

Rodney said similar an he became a decent defender after bein labeled a defensive liability. Dennis believed in him an drafted a stud workhorse, a piebald.

Hood is a decent defender? news to me.

Equally interesting question is if he makes the 1st or 2nd all-rookie team. It was a guard heavy draft. Ball, Fultz, Smith and Simmons (still considered a rookie) have to be the favorites.