What's new

Donovan out vs Memphis

So some think the plane trouble freaked him out and he could not fly to Memphis?
What about the next time?
What if he can never fly anymore?
This could be very serious and career threatening
I think we should try not to freak out and overreact, but yes this is certainly the most likely outcome... we done.

I honestly think this is a legit possibility. I found an old video of him during draft workouts where he talks about having a fear of flying. He talks about it at the 43 second mark:

He saying he pays extra to sit at the windows so he can watch the outside to be sure everything going fine made think what'd be the odds on him getting a decent view of it (fire and engine failure stuff) and that got him even more scaried

Scheduled loss...
Have any of you been paying attention to how well this teams playing this year? Clarkson can easily step in for Mitchell, and we have a bench full of HUNGRY shooters ready to step up.

I think either Hughes, Thomas, Sova will step up and we shoot Memphis off the floor.

I traveled a lot for my job and had a few scary situations but I kept flying for 5 years straight. DM will be fine, flying is part of his job so I am not worried about him not ever getting on a plane. No one at this point knows the real reason so it is just speculation. I hope the Jazz can focus and pull together as a team and pull out the win.

I was on a flight leaving Detroit and the landing gear wouldn’t retract. We circled the city at low altitude for over an hour before we were light enough to attempt a landing. As we approached the runway we could see dozens of support vehicles (fire trucks, ambulances and police cars) lined up on either side. We hit the the runway, started to skid and sputter as the wheels were locked but soon we came to a stop immersed a plume of tire smoke and the roar of cheers from everyone on board. It was terrifying and I think about that every time I takeoff in a jet.

I was on a flight leaving Detroit and the landing gear wouldn’t retract. We circled the city at low altitude for over an hour before we were light enough to attempt a landing. As we approached the runway we could see dozens of support vehicles (fire trucks, ambulances and police cars) lined up on either side. We hit the the runway, started to skid and sputter as the wheels were locked but soon we came to a stop immersed a plume of tire smoke and the roar of cheers from everyone on board. It was terrifying and I think about that every time I takeoff in a jet.
I would have pooped my pants.

As long as we have Rudy I will assume we win.
Also, games like tonight are when Conley needs to step up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He saying he pays extra to sit at the windows so he can watch the outside to be sure everything going fine made think what'd be the odds on him getting a decent view of it (fire and engine failure stuff) and that got him even more scaried
I have seen that once on a plane. It is not something you want to encounter, believe me. We were on a flight from Berlin Germany to Manchester England for a work project in a 2-engine plane, decent sized, some Airbus model. As we approached the airport the plane hit a bird or something, they never told us exactly what happened. We felt a shudder and heard a muffled bang. Everyone started looking out the window, so I leaned over to see what they were looking at and saw smoke and fire coming from the back of the engine. The plane rocked but kept moving relatively smoothly. We were in the process of landing anyway so they grounded us sooner than expected. Modern jets are capable of flight and landing on one engine, for the most part, so yes it is scary but they can still get to the ground safely. It was still freaky as ****. I can imagine if you already have a problem with air travel experiencing that would be more than unnerving.

As long as we have Rudy I will assume we win.
Also, games like tonight are when Conley needs to step up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Conley and Ingles have been pretty effective together so I am confident we will still win this. Let's see Joe get 10 3-pters tonight. That would be awesome!

It does sound like he’s missing the game due to not wanting to get back on an airplane right after that fiasco. I have 2 thoughts on this that are in complete contradiction with each other:

1- Who can blame him? Flying is downright scary to a lot of people and if the dude needs a few days away from air travel, let him have it.

and...

2- It’s a bummer that he didn’t face that next airplane ride with his teammates. I’m sure nobody involved was all too eager to jump right back into an airplane, but they did it anyway.

Either way, if he’s taking a day to decompress, laying on the couch while he watches some movies, I really hope he avoids watching ‘We are Marshall’.

As far as this being a scheduled loss, I don’t think so.
Remember when Don missed 2 games with a concussion earlier in the season vs Dallas? We absolutely blew Dallas off the court and both games were over by halftime.
This team has depth and dudes who know they’ve gotta step it up when one of the big dogs are out. Conley is having one the best seasons of his career, yet when he sits, we win. When Ingles missed a stretch of games earlier in the season due to his prior commitments of teaching math to night schoolers trying to get their GED, we still win. Donovan misses 2 games, we win both.
This team is gonna win 55+ games in a 72 game season. You simply can’t do that if missing 1 player means it’s an automatic loss. Quin would never do this, but instead of starting Joe and then adjusting the bench minutes accordingly, I’d LOVE to see Ingles stay on the 2nd unit and have Quin throw in Oni, Hughes, or Thomas as a starter for 1 game. It would be nice to see any one of those guys getting the benefit of playing alongside the 1’s.

Certainly, Memphis is no slouch, but they’re 2 games under .500 at home. No scheduled loss here. Jazz gonna roll...

It does sound like he’s missing the game due to not wanting to get back on an airplane right after that fiasco. I have 2 thoughts on this that are in complete contradiction with each other:

1- Who can blame him? Flying is downright scary to a lot of people and if the dude needs a few days away from air travel, let him have it.

and...

2- It’s a bummer that he didn’t face that next airplane ride with his teammates. I’m sure nobody involved was all too eager to jump right back into an airplane, but they did it anyway.

Either way, if he’s taking a day to decompress, laying on the couch while he watches some movies, I really hope he avoids watching ‘We are Marshall’.
I'm good with whatever it was. Sometimes getting back on the horse is the way to go... sometimes just chill out if you are overly anxious about it. You don't want it to be mental block going forward but I'm sure he will get over it.

Also, I was thrown off a horse when I was 5 and never got back on... **** horses... motorized vehicles are so much better.

If JC or Bojan have a good game I think we win. Assuming Joe and Mike do their thing... just need a little boost from one of the other hydra heads.

I am not worried in the least. Having Joe start is just a boost for us. We will see him step up, Bojan will have a better game, Clarkson will shake off his recent funk, Conley will be the floor general, and Gobert will do nasty Gobert things. We got this. Memphis should be even more worried because without Donovan the rest of the team has something to prove and if we have shown one thing this season, it is that when this team plays motivated, they slay. Periodt.