What's new

Draft Homers List 2023

Not sure I have one. I don’t think Cam Whitmore applies. Probably would’ve been Wallace a bit earlier. Right now it’s Podz as I am just kinda suddenly choosing to believe in his crazy shooting/floater + NBA spacing (that might free up the paint enough) + good size for a guard. He feels like one of those players you look back and go “huh, I guess nobody should be surprised he’s a blowtorch but here we are.”

Just another note on Podz: both Steph and Dame came from nothing schools. Not to mention Steve Nash.
Sure, but Curry also absolutely lit up top level competition and Podz didn't.

I did a stats dive into Podz/Curry a week ago to try and find parallels and it's not really close, especially when you look at Steph in big games and when you compare their shot volume.

And the other side of this is there have been guys like Herro, Bane, Quickley (?), JJ Reddick, etc.
JJ and Korver are the gold standards of movement shooters who applied movement shooting to the NBA. JJ had to massively adjust to the NBA as well and took him some time to really translate it.

Bane did a decent amount of college movement shooting but I wouldn't say that his game I'm the NBA, but I wouldn't take my word for that, could be mistaken.

I did a stats dive into Podz/Curry a week ago to try and find parallels and it's not really close, especially when you look at Steph in big games and when you compare their shot volume.
Did you do the dive adjusted for age or year of school? Curry being a 4-year player would be a consideration, of course.

EDIT: Curry was a 3-year player. I always thought he was a 4-year player.

Last edited:

podz really didn't play a significant sample against top competition. i'd say his grade vs top competition is incomplete.

vs 24-10 Boise he went for 18 and 10. vs Gonzaga, he went for 17, 7 and 5, and then 14, 3 and 1. he played against one power conference team all year - Cal - and went for 20, 7 and 6. vs SMC he went for 19, 9 and 3 and then 7 and 3.

really just almost zero sample vs top level competition. some good, some not so good. but he also had a few bad games against bad teams because guys have off nights. it happens. just not enough sample to say, since went 2-2 (good games vs bad games) against the best teams on his schedule he didn't do well against good teams - it was two bad games.

I like Jordan Hawkins. If he goes to the right team and uses him right, he'll be quite the player. There are a lot of good role players candidates at 16.

Did you do the dive adjusted for age or year of school? Curry being a 4-year player would be a consideration, of course.
I compared both their Sophomore years. The amount of volume Steph had just made his skill undeniable.

Like I said last week, for Pod to really reach his high end potential as a starter he has to be an absolute monster as a shooter and there is room for doubt there with his FT%, only having a year sample, and the fact he didn't really perform all that well vs better competition (though not bad by any means).

podz really didn't play a significant sample against top competition. i'd say his grade vs top competition is incomplete.

vs 24-10 Boise he went for 18 and 10. vs Gonzaga, he went for 17, 7 and 5, and then 14, 3 and 1. he played against one power conference team all year - Cal - and went for 20, 7 and 6. vs SMC he went for 19, 9 and 3 and then 7 and 3.

really just almost zero sample vs top level competition. some good, some not so good. but he also had a few bad games against bad teams because guys have off nights. it happens. just not enough sample to say, since went 2-2 (good games vs bad games) against the best teams on his schedule he didn't do well against good teams - it was two bad games.
Sure, so you are left with a single year sample size without much data against better players and a FT% that doesn't suggest an elite shooter (though I think he can possibly get there, but it's not a safe bet)

I love Podz skill level. He's one of my favorite players from an aesthetic lense, but there's a lot of questions on him.

He's a movement shooter, but there's a reason there arent many movement shooters in the NBA. Even if you are absolutely elite at it, it's hard to make it consistent and you have to run your offense in a way that generates those looks. What's he going to do when the entire offense isnt centered around freeing him up? Will he just be a spot up shooter? Who can he guard w/ his thinner frame and underwhelming length? Can he do anything when he's run off the line?
It doesn’t have to be. It’s called calling plays.

If we didn't have to trade up for Taylor Hendricks, I'd go with him.

It's looking like we might have to trade up for Hendricks or Whitmore. I saw The Ringer Mock Draft today by Kevin O'Connor and he has Whitmore going at #4 and Taylor Hendricks at #7. I bet we'd potentially have to trade up to get either of them.

If we are avoiding trading up, I'd probably take Cason Wallace. I think his overall game is pretty good.

We got derailed a bit. If I missed who you wanted and havent listed yet, post it clearly. Too many people just saying they liked a dude.

This isnt who you like or who you think the Jazz can draft, it's just who your favorite prospect is. Doesnt necessarily have to be the best player.

If we didn't have to trade up for Taylor Hendricks, I'd go with him.

It's looking like we might have to trade up for Hendricks or Whitmore. I saw The Ringer Mock Draft today by Kevin O'Connor and he has Whitmore going at #4 and Taylor Hendricks at #7. I bet we'd potentially have to trade up to get either of them.

If we are avoiding trading up, I'd probably take Cason Wallace. I think his overall game is pretty good.
Exact same over here

Pick your favorite prospect.

Only pick one please.

Anthony Black: Elizah Huge, Udidthizz, Underdog

Ausar Thompson: Default, Jingled

Bilal Coulibaly: HeatCheck

Bobi "The Swede Freak" Klintman: Saint Cy of JFC

Brandon Miller: SeattleJazzFan

Brice Sensabaugh: Whatthe, Eminence

Cam Whitmore: FishonJazz, David Hume, Coach Ellis, Shad

Cason Wallace: kcgar, Soberashotrod

Gradey Dick: Chargers Jazz Angels

Jordan Hawkins: Thee Idiotic Minivan K, Eddie Zero

Keyonte George: Sip

Kobe Bufkin: Ferguson_Melochill

Sidy Cissoko: GG Jazz Cabbage

Taylor Hendricks: Handgloten Heros, Bodhi
How the hell is @Ferguson_Mellochill allowed to take Bufkin when he’s crammed GG up our Bhole all season… this is preposterous