What's new

Draft Homers List 2023

I watched a full game of his yesterday. Not a good rebounder no playmaking and a lot of those things listed you hope he improves or hope he magically starts doing. Being big and agile doesn’t make you special at the nba level
Every player we are thinking of drafting has weaknesses that we HOPE they improve on. Hendricks is no different from any other player we might draft in that regard. 7 rebounds per game is fine by the way. Its funny that you say "a lot of those things listed you hope he improves or hope he magically starts doing" you listed 2 things lol, not a lot of things. And his rebounding is ok anyway.

His strengths are very strong though and are nba ready and easy to insert into the jazz team.
Hendricks played in every game, averaged 34.7 minutes per game had lots of blocks (averaged 1.7 per game which is more than gobert averaged), and made lots of threes (shot 40% from 3), averaged 15 point and 7 rebounds, is 6 foot 9 and moves well and has a good attitude and is 19 years old.

He isn't perfect but there is A LOT to like there. Like framer said "Imagine the Jazz had a really tall guy that could both dunk the ball ferociously and shoot the three. Wouldn't you like to see that?" I mean I enjoyed watching Lauri Markennan play last season but maybe you didn't I guess. Btw Lauri Markkanen wasn't a great rebounder last season (8.6 per game which isn't much more than Hendricks despite Lauri being much taller. Lauri averages 7.1 per game for his career) and wasn't a great playmaker (1.9 assists per game. Hendricks averaged 1.4)

Basically you say you dont want hendricks because he is poor rebounder and playmaker but he makes lots of threes and dunks. Lauri Markkenan is a similar rebounder and playmaker but also makes lots of threes and dunks. I guess you dont want Markkenan either?
Markkenan and Hendricks both have about the exact same field goal and three point percentage by the way (lauri a little better from the field and hendricks a little better from 3) Oh and dunks and threes are the two best shots you can take and make. Both Hendricks and Markennan are really good at both type of shots. That is a good thing. But hey, you watched one game so im sure you have him all figured out ;)

I watched a full game of his yesterday. Not a good rebounder no playmaking and a lot of those things listed you hope he improves or hope he magically starts doing. Being big and agile doesn’t make you special at the nba level
Yeah but Markkanen wasn’t all that coming out of college.. he only really had length and 3 point shooting.

I still see the potential and I’m hoping Hardy could weave his magic with Hendricks.

Every player we are thinking of drafting has weaknesses that we HOPE they improve on. Hendricks is no different from any other player we might draft in that regard. 7 rebounds per game is fine by the way. Its funny that you say "a lot of those things listed you hope he improves or hope he magically starts doing" you listed 2 things lol, not a lot of things. And his rebounding is ok anyway.

His strengths are very strong though and are nba ready and easy to insert into the jazz team.
Hendricks played in every game, averaged 34.7 minutes per game had lots of blocks (averaged 1.7 per game which is more than gobert averaged), and made lots of threes (shot 40% from 3), averaged 15 point and 7 rebounds, is 6 foot 9 and moves well and has a good attitude and is 19 years old.

He isn't perfect but there is A LOT to like there. Like framer said "Imagine the Jazz had a really tall guy that could both dunk the ball ferociously and shoot the three. Wouldn't you like to see that?" I mean I enjoyed watching Lauri Markennan play last season but maybe you didn't I guess. Btw Lauri Markkanen wasn't a great rebounder last season (8.6 per game which isn't much more than Hendricks despite Lauri being much taller. Lauri averages 7.1 per game for his career) and wasn't a great playmaker (1.9 assists per game. Hendricks averaged 1.4)

Basically you say you dont want hendricks because he is poor rebounder and playmaker but he makes lots of threes and dunks. Lauri Markkenan is a similar rebounder and playmaker but also makes lots of threes and dunks. I guess you dont want Markkenan either?
Markkenan and Hendricks both have about the exact same field goal and three point percentage by the way (lauri a little better from the field and hendricks a little better from 3) Oh and dunks and threes are the two best shots you can take and make. Both Hendricks and Markennan are really good at both type of shots. That is a good thing. But hey, you watched one game so im sure you have him all figured out ;)
Damn nice post Fish!!

Everyone gets him, just to different degrees. Not like anyone has him at the end of the first
It’s when guys like @Thee Idiotic Minivan K are saying they don’t get how he’s special… when he does the two things we’ll that when combined in one player peoples will refer to said player as a unicorn.

It’s just funny to me people look past the obvious… even if the other stuff never develops he can be a home run at 9… good hell if there is some other stuff there then watch out.

If Taylor works he can be a member of the Aaron Gordon Mikal Bridges all stars. Not all stars per se but have impact on both sides of the ball and without the ball in hand so your all stats and stats can maximize their potential,

If he has some juice on ball or is an elite roller with that stuff then he can be an actual all star. It’s pretty simple.

I don’t get the people that don’t get Hendricks.

You can't beat defenders off the dribble, shoot off the dribble or pass off the dribble if you can't dribble. Hendricks is fine, but he looks like he'll be a complementary player rather than a primary offensive weapon. The Jazz's roster is pretty empty and they need to be looking for primary offensive players with star-level ceilings at this stage, even if they're going to swing and miss. That's why I have Hendricks just outside of my top 10.

It's rare that a player develops ball skills from scratch once they're in the NBA.

Yeah but Markkanen wasn’t all that coming out of college.. he only really had length and 3 point shooting.

I still see the potential and I’m hoping Hardy could weave his magic with Hendricks.
Not true at all. He was all rookie flashing all kinds of potential, and had an even better year his second season as the #2 option. Then for some god forsaken reason coach Jim Boylen comes in and turned him into a spot up shooter. He should’ve been an allstar 2-3 years ago had he been allowed to progress. Markkanen always had that ability.

It’s when guys like @Thee Idiotic Minivan K are saying they don’t get how he’s special… when he does the two things we’ll that when combined in one player peoples will refer to said player as a unicorn.

It’s just funny to me people look past the obvious… even if the other stuff never develops he can be a home run at 9… good hell if there is some other stuff there then watch out.
My whole thing is people are saying he could be picked 6th. That’s just stupid. At 9 I’m looking for the most star potential I don’t see it with him. I’d be fine with him at 16. But I want to draft someone I can potentially see as a star. I’ve come off my Grady love because of this. I was of the impression we shouldn’t trade up, now I’m all for it.

My whole thing is people are saying he could be picked 6th. That’s just stupid. At 9 I’m looking for the most star potential I don’t see it with him. I’d be fine with him at 16. But I want to draft someone I can potentially see as a star. I’ve come off my Grady love because of this. I was of the impression we shouldn’t trade up, now I’m all for it.
Ehhh I think that is a very common draft mistake and might be part of the reason there are more hits in the 10-14 range vs 6-9 range… people think they need a star when they just need til he beat player available. At 6 I might have better bets I’d make for the Jazz but another team might prefer the elite fit… it’s totally justifiable imo at 6.

He's not special...

Not true at all. He was all rookie flashing all kinds of potential, and had an even better year his second season as the #2 option. Then for some god forsaken reason coach Jim Boylen comes in and turned him into a spot up shooter. He should’ve been an allstar 2-3 years ago had he been allowed to progress. Markkanen always had that ability.
This is a funny response because he is comparing Hendricks college to Markkanen college. You are mentioning after is rookie year and 2nd year. Why would you compare something that hasn’t happened yet.