What's new

Draft reform vote coming up

What do you mean?

The teams own the league. Adam Silver, and David Stern before him, work for the team owners as a group, as does everyone else in the league office. To say there was a conspiracy by Stern/Silver/etc. is to bacially say the league owners are conducting it.

Thanks for doing the math GVC. I hope everyone does realize the downside of this, which is you can slide very far down. If the Jazz finish 5th worst next year, under the new system could easily slide to the 10th or 11th pick. It means scouting resources are stretched thin, and you just can't plan or even get excited much about anything until lottery day.

Thanks for doing the math GVC. I hope everyone does realize the downside of this, which is you can slide very far down. If the Jazz finish 5th worst next year, under the new system could easily slide to the 10th or 11th pick. It means scouting resources are stretched thin, and you just can't plan or even get excited much about anything until lottery day.

And it still won't get rid of tanking. It will just hurt teams that are legitimately bad the same as it does the ones that are intentional bad.

And it still won't get rid of tanking. It will just hurt teams that are legitimately bad the same as it does the ones that are intentional bad.

What is your argument it won't get rid of tanking? If I am in danger of sliding 7 spots why would I risk alienating a fan base? Most draft years are not like 2014, there is usually only one player with superstar potential (if that).

If I am in danger of sliding 7 spots why would I risk alienating a fan base? Most draft years are not like 2014, there is usually only one player with superstar potential (if that).

This

What is your argument it won't get rid of tanking? If I am in danger of sliding 7 spots why would I risk alienating a fan base? Most draft years are not like 2014, there is usually only one player with superstar potential (if that).

Who care if a team has 5-10 more losses in a season if they aren't in the playoffs hunt the majority of the season? If the fanbase is smart they would rather increase their teams chances of staying in the range of a high pick. Good teams don't tank it's only the bad teams and they are bad already and more than likely the fans are alienated naturally. Most fanbases aren't behind bad team whether they're that way on purpose or by poor management.

Who care if a team has 5-10 more losses in a season if they aren't in the playoffs hunt the majority of the season? If the fanbase is smart they would rather increase their teams chances of staying in the range of a high pick. Good teams don't tank it's only the bad teams and they are bad already and more than likely the fans are alienated naturally. Most fanbases aren't behind bad team whether they're that way on purpose or by poor management.
From a management standpoint it might be better to try to aquire good players, and coaches, and try to develop them into winners a little sooner..... knowing that even if you win some more games that you will still have a decent chance in the lottery. Especially if the draft isn't top heavy.

From a management standpoint it might be better to try to aquire good players, and coaches, and try to develop them into winners a little sooner..... knowing that even if you win some more games that you will still have a decent chance in the lottery. Especially if the draft isn't top heavy.

OK using Philly as an example because they clearly tanked. I don't see how this change stops them from collecting future assets for their quality players.

OK using Philly as an example because they clearly tanked. I don't see how this change stops them from collecting future assets for their quality players.
First off, if being the worst team in the league doesn't increase your odds for the #1 pick, then maybe philly doesn't draft nerlens noel AND embiid and instead draft players that can play and begin developing them.

Maybe they also don't trade hawes and Turner for nothing too.

Instead they keep those guys, and draft healthy players, and still lose alot but not intentionally because they know they still have a decent chance at the #1 pick even if they are not the worst team in the league

Also, there is no perfect solution so at least this is an attempt to make things better

Prediction: we're all going to love this system until the Jazz finish with the 5th worst record and slide down to 10th.

I think the success of the Wizard this past season also helped in bringing about this change.

The Wizard have shown that it IS possible to build through the draft AS WELL AS good quality signing of FA's.

If the fanbase is smart they would rather increase their teams chances of staying in the range of a high pick.

If every fan was as into his team as most posters on here are, you are probably right. The problem is that the casual fans make up a lot of the attendance. If they don`t show up to the games, it could mean a world of hurt for the financials of the team in the short run, with absolutely no guarantee of making in back even with a nice pick up in the draft. We`re talking about sports here, which most people watch to be entertained. Most people don`t like losing and start watching something else if a team is really bad over a period of time.

Good question. Probably means picks will be top-7 protected in trades going forward instead of top-3.

I liked your comment, then reconsidered, since whether the pick gets traded depends on the position after the lottery.

Who care if a team has 5-10 more losses in a season if they aren't in the playoffs hunt the majority of the season?
I do, as I enjoy watching high quality basketball. The more teams there are that are built to lose, the more low quality games there are. The new scheme reduces the incentive to lose, which should improve the quality of the product on the court.