What's new

Draft reform vote coming up

Jazz4ever

It looks like Silver is going ahead with the vote. Lowe has been tweeting about. I don't guarantee 100% accuracy on the percentages got them from realgm

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
Follow
Proposal details: four worst teams would have equal 12 percent chance to win No. 1 pick. Worst team could fall no lower than No 7.
12:48 PM - 3 Oct 2014

Four teams w/ best record would have, in order, 0.5%, 1%, 1.5%, 2.5% chance at No. 1 pick and better chance than today of moving into top-6
12:50 PM - 3 Oct 2014

Hard to overstate degree of leaguewide displeasure with Sixers right now. Perhaps not entirely fair -- they're following rules -- but big.
12:53 PM - 3 Oct 2014

Lowe tweeted the odds breakdown for #1 was:
1 - 12.0%
2 - 12.0%
3 - 12.0%
4 - 12.0%
5 - 11.5%
6 - 10.0%
7 - 8.5%
8 - 7.0%
9 - 5.5%
10 - 4.0%
11 - 2.5%
12 - 1.5%
13 - 1.0%
14 - 0.5%

I for one, love it!

It looks like Silver is going ahead with the vote. Lowe has been tweeting about. I don't guarantee 100% accuracy on the percentages got them from realgm

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
Follow
Proposal details: four worst teams would have equal 12 percent chance to win No. 1 pick. Worst team could fall no lower than No 7.

Four teams w/ best record would have, in order, 0.5%, 1%, 1.5%, 2.5% chance at No. 1 pick and better chance than today of moving into top-6

Hard to overstate degree of leaguewide displeasure with Sixers right now. Perhaps not entirely fair -- they're following rules -- but big.

1 - 12.0%
2 - 12.0%
3 - 12.0%
4 - 12.0%
5 - 11.5%
6 - 10.0%
7 - 8.5%
8 - 7.0%
9 - 5.5%
10 - 4.0%
11 - 2.5%
12 - 1.5%
13 - 1.0%
14 - 0.5%

Enough for the Cavs to get the 1st pick for the next draft.

Aside from giving the best teams a chance at the #1 I like it.

I really like this.

Hopefully they start implementing this straight away so we can see some fantastic basketball this season. Minny with Wiggins and Bucks with Jabari would be worth watching.

It's the same 14 non-playoff teams in the lottery.

Oh ok. I miss understood. I thought it meant that the best teams in the league had those chances at the #1. I'm all aboard with this proposal now.

I like it as well. But will they fix the rigging too? That's a bigger problem for me.

I offer to write a petition at change.org or ipetitions.com etc to make the draft lottery event public and 100% transparent. Is there anyone here volunteering to prepare such a petition? I would do it if I could put together a well written, eloquent text.

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
Follow

1 - 12.0%
2 - 12.0%
3 - 12.0%
4 - 12.0%
5 - 11.5%
6 - 10.0%
7 - 8.5%
8 - 7.0%
9 - 5.5%
10 - 4.0%
11 - 2.5%
12 - 1.5%
13 - 1.0%
14 - 0.5%

Aside from giving the best teams a chance at the #1 I like it.

It's the same 14 non-playoff teams in the lottery.

Oh ok. I miss understood. I thought it meant that the best teams in the league had those chances at the #1. I'm all aboard with this proposal now.

I miss understood it at first too.

I think it's a good idea. Let's do it.

This is illogical IMO. You want to do something about tanking then get rid of max contracts. As of now the best way for bad teams to get better is to lose.

I like it as well. But will they fix the rigging too? That's a bigger problem for me.

I offer to write a petition at change.org or ipetitions.com etc to make the draft lottery event public and 100% transparent. Is there anyone here volunteering to prepare such a petition? I would do it if I could put together a well written, eloquent text.
The draft is not held privately, and it is not rigged. That is a myth that won't die (probably because it was not a myth in the Ewing draft). The actual drafts are all on youtube. It would be difficult to imagine a way to rig them, and they are boring as hell to watch.

I like it... I just think it should come in effect once all current pending draft-pick trades have expired.

The draft is not held privately, and it is not rigged. That is a myth that won't die (probably because it was not a myth in the Ewing draft). The actual drafts are all on youtube. It would be difficult to imagine a way to rig them, and they are boring as hell to watch.
https://watch.nba.com/nba/video/channels/draft/2014/05/20/052014-draft-lottery-behind-the-scenes.nba

OK, I'm kinda convinced, not 100%(any smart person with an engineer mind/education could find ways to rig it) but it's good enough. Still, why is it not live though? I don't agree on the boring part. Add a few fun elements to it that the lottery announcement show has and it's almost exactly what I want to see on the TV. And wouldn't it help the myth to die at least?

Plus, it's still really really hard to believe that it's entirely clean, especially after the Cavs' recent run. 0.0074256% chance of getting the first picks three years in a row and it just happens.

I like the idea of the worst 5-6 teams all having a shot. I do not like the best of the bad teams (the ones that barely missed the playoffs getting a real shot at the top pick. Just my opinion.

This is illogical IMO. You want to do something about tanking then get rid of max contracts. As of now the best way for bad teams to get better is to lose.

I kinda agree with this. Problem is, that for a Jazz fan it's better for us the new way. The Jazz aren't ever just going to go into full tank mode. Last year they were seriously still trying to win games even when it made no sense.

I don't think Jazz management is going to change, and we are probably always going to better than the 5 worst teams, so this makes more sense for us and is better for us

I kinda agree with this. Problem is, that for a Jazz fan it's better for us the new way. The Jazz aren't ever just going to go into full tank mode. Last year they were seriously still trying to win games even when it made no sense.

I don't think Jazz management is going to change, and we are probably always going to better than the 5 worst teams, so this makes more sense for us and is better for us

I've been saying this as well.

Also with Quin at the helm, I think we'll see a greater improvement in our young guys, as well as general level of play across the board. And I wouldn't be surprised if we win a few more games than last year.

It's better for everyone this way. Gives you a shot of actually getting off the treadmill and stops making being intentionally horrible better than trying to build a contender organically.