What's new

Dunn deal is done

A year late.
Yeah we needed his defense a year ago. I could actually see him have Gary Payton Jr type of late career breakout as a lockdown bench defender. If he could somehow get back to that 32-35 3pt% that we saw from him his 2nd and 3rd year in the league he could find a rotation spot somewhere.

He seems to have had a couple of half decent seasons at some point. Maybe just some cover so Sexton can rest his hamstring for a bit.

You only saw this as being 1 year too late, maybe they saw it differently
Yeah, they're late. Perfect buy low guy. Actually not even buying low. Picking it up curbside. I've been pining for him for a while. It would have made more sense to have him on the team now because we had him a year ago, too.

I think they just brought guys to evaluate so that they can also buy time to look around.

Bolmaro asked out and they didnt know what Westbrook was gonna do so all of this was not by design.

The trade and those moves also made us thin at guard (down to Sexton, JC, THT, Ochai and Juzang).

@infection finally got his day as the GM!

Not a fan of this... but also I don't care much at all. I would prefer our roster have holes and take a flier on a younger guy. RJ Hampton got released and maybe we could claim him instead... seems like a great tank commander. Think a team will claim him and not sure where we are in that order currently but likely behind SA who I'm sure is in on that.

Should have waited for Hampton
I can't remember the waiver claim process off the top of my head. I would bet SA is still under the floor and claims him. Saves Orlando money and is essentially free for the Spurs. Miami does this type of stuff when ducking the tax...

I am guessing we would have know RJ is getting waived and also may have known which team is claiming him... but maybe not. I certainly would take a flier on him over these guys.

What fresh hell is this?

Why are we hoarding bad, ball-dominant combo guards?
Jazz can't release Westbrook if they don't sign somebody, as they would be down to 12 players which is not allowed (a team can be down to 13 players, but at max two weeks; Jazz still has 11 days to get to 14). Prolly the reason (10 day contracts count for the minimun of 13 (14) players). This gives Jazz time to look for somebody, and if Dunn seems to be ok, he might very well be signed for the end of the season.
EDIT: Ah, Jackson has also been signed. It means Jazz are up to 14 players again, so they can restart the two week countdown at will again.

I can't remember the waiver claim process off the top of my head. I would bet SA is still under the floor and claims him. Saves Orlando money and is essentially free for the Spurs. Miami does this type of stuff when ducking the tax...

I am guessing we would have know RJ is getting waived and also may have known which team is claiming him... but maybe not. I certainly would take a flier on him over these guys.

I'm sure RJ already has a destination figured out, SAS or otherwise. It's unlikely that RJ was being waived without other teams knowing already. However, I would have traded a fake/****** second rounder to give him a look at the trade deadline.

I do think it's good that the Jazz are using roster spots as resources now. Hope we can find a gem in this last stretch.