What's new

Energy Independence a Reality?

Solar prices are dropping like a rock and utility rates keep climbing. Within 10 years they will both hit equilibrium. Then it will be dumb not to have it.

Solar prices are dropping like a rock and utility rates keep climbing. Within 10 years they will both hit equilibrium. Then it will be dumb not to have it.

Based on what?

I'll be the first to slap one of those gawdy $20,000 setups on my own roof & go net metering but the stuff isn't anywhere near competitive at current rates. Still takes over 17 years for a payback, with huge govt. and local grants, not counting in cost of capital, and optimum assumptions on price and integrity.

This is great news but at the end of the day, oil and gas are still finite resources and we did need to think about future. As in 100-300 years from now.

I have faith in innovation coming along as oil prices increase or even outpacing it. Technology is booming at an incredible rate these days. I don't know how you'd quantify it but I'd say the last 5-10 years has no match in relative terms across all history.

More cars, less gas. More houses and electronics, less kWh consumption. These trends will continue.

No. Us energy independence is a pipe dream. What's stopping these companies from selling their crap overseas? As soon as we're close to energy independence we'll surely just look to sell more of it keeping us addicted to foreign imports (and the wonderfully high prices and the cha ching they'll provide.

BUT, it will provide many high paying jobs. The product may leave the US but the high wages will stay here and right now we could really use this.

Based on what?

I'll be the first to slap one of those gawdy $20,000 setups on my own roof & go net metering but the stuff isn't anywhere near competitive at current rates. Still takes over 17 years for a payback, with huge govt. and local grants, not counting in cost of capital, and optimum assumptions on price and integrity.

I work in the industry, the new way to do solar is called a PPA. Its basically a solar utility setup where the homeowner doesn't pay out of pocket for the system but then pays a solar utility bill based on KWH. That rate is lower than their current setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QeMOVpljUY

https://www.epa.gov/greenpower/buygp/solarpower.htm

I work in the industry, the new way to do solar is called a PPA. Its basically a solar utility setup where the homeowner doesn't pay out of pocket for the system but then pays a solar utility bill based on KWH. That rate is lower than their current setup.

Those advertisements seem silly when the SSP could build a much more efficient plant in more optimal locations than typical residences. If co-ops could do one good thing then this would be it.

So you guys throw solar panels on my roof for free, and then I pay a monthly utility bill as usual? If my average monthly bill over the course of a year is $300, how much would it be with solar panels?

Those advertisements seem silly when the SSP could build a much more efficient plant in more optimal locations than typical residences. If co-ops could do one good thing then this would be it.

But why take up useful land when useless roof space is so readily available?

So you guys throw solar panels on my roof for free, and then I pay a monthly utility bill as usual? If my average monthly bill over the course of a year is $300, how much would it be with solar panels?

I will show you an example. The typical Massachusetts customer pays somewhere between 16-18 cents per KWH with NSTAR. With Solar/Sunrun they can pay anywhere from .03 cents to about 12 cents per KWH. It all depends on how efficient their roof is. But minimally they should see a 20-30% savings their very first month. That solar rate is also locked in so their saving keeps increasing as the local utilities rates will keep rising. Average utilities rise about 3-6% a year

Additionally states don't charge taxes on clean energy so most should see an additional 10 bucks or so each month too.

I will show you an example. The typical Massachusetts customer pays somewhere between 16-18 cents per KWH with NSTAR. With Solar/Sunrun they can pay anywhere from .03 cents to about 12 cents per KWH. It all depends on how efficient their roof is. But minimally they should see a 20-30% savings their very first month. That solar rate is also locked in so their saving keeps increasing as the local utilities rates will keep rising. Average utilities rise about 3-6% a year

Additionally states don't charge taxes on clean energy so most should see an additional 10 bucks or so each month too.

Yes, $300/month. Why?

Meh. To me, the payoff isn't substantial enough to offset what happens when I try to sell the house (I personally think most people think they're ugly and that it would be tougher to sell for that reason and also because potential buyers wouldn't know the implications of inheriting such) or try to get rid of them after 25 years. To my knowledge, that is a very grey area right now. But I've heard I will be the one responsible for getting rid of them and thus, paying to dump them, wherever that may be.

BUT, it will provide many high paying jobs. The product may leave the US but the high wages will stay here and right now we could really use this.

First of all, define "many."

Secondly, what type of environmental impact will this have? From what I've seen in N. Dakota, the environmental impact has been significant. So even if you get away without paying for their actions, your children and grandchildren might not be as lucky. And isn't that what repubs are uber concerned with, their children and grandchildren?

Thirdly, soooooooooooo you make more money but if the cost of living continues to go up, especially for gas, what exactly are you gaining? I mean, lets not forget, the cost of gas has an effect on nearly ever facet of the economy. So merely shrugging our exportation of fuel as, "Meh" is quite obtuse to me. Then again, I am talking about the loser of the last 2 Presidential elections. According to them, they feel like their message wasn't rejected. In fact, they seem to feel like it's the way the message was presented. LOL. Yep, that's exactly the problem... LOL.

Lastly, I find it hilarious how we keep going back to the "Drill baby drill" mantra. As if alternatives will just sprout out of nowhere once non-renewable sources have been exhausted. Why not invest heavily now in alternatives? Why is China outspending us significantly on this? Then, once we're energy independent on alternatives, we can sell our oil at an even higher price to other countries? I think that sounds like a better plan. Then again, I must keep in mind we are talking about the GOP here. Short term gains over long term stability. The party of, "Drill baby drill, shock and aw, Evolution doesn't exist, no evidence of global warming, everyone is Christian, tax cuts for the wealthy, and GET OFF MY LAWN AND GET BACK TO MEXICO!" mantra. the same idiots who think that 47 percent of our country is worthless. LOL. Keep it up ya hacks!

It's time to stop playing political games and get back to what is best for America. I think many could benefit from seeing our European and South American countries are adjusting to the 21st century. Brazil has several different forms of fuel and Spain invests heavily in solar energy. Once again, America is back in the stone age when it comes to this issue.

Last edited:
Meh. To me, the payoff isn't substantial enough to offset what happens when I try to sell the house (I personally think most people think they're ugly and that it would be tougher to sell for that reason and also because potential buyers wouldn't know the implications of inheriting such) or try to get rid of them after 25 years. To my knowledge, that is a very grey area right now. But I've heard I will be the one responsible for getting rid of them and thus, paying to dump them, wherever that may be.

-The payoff? You don't invest any money.

-Sunrun takes them off your home after 20 years with no charge to you.

-With the PPA program homes have been selling 3 times as fast with solar and still adding about 17,000 worth of equity to the home.

-Not sure what state you are in but solar is desirable in places with high utility rates, Mass, NY, Hawaii, NJ, Cali, etc.

-Solar gives you the "green home" edge in the market.

-The payoff? You don't invest any money. I invested $360,000 in my home. I'm not going to **** with its' value by throwing some ugly **** on my roof.

-Sunrun takes them off your home after 20 years with no charge to you.Good to know.

-With the PPA program homes have been selling 3 times as fast with solar and still adding about 17,000 worth of equity to the home. Selling faster (probably because of green nerds) doesn't mean selling at or above what the home would normally sell at.

-Not sure what state you are in but solar is desirable in places with high utility rates, Mass, NY, Hawaii, NJ, Cali, etc.

-Solar gives you the "green home" edge in the market.

I'll wait 'til they develop solar "panels" that are the actual shingles that are on your house and don't **** it up aesthetically. I see that time coming in the next 10-20 or so years.

Producing solar power way up north out of the sunbelt for less than the cheapest, oldest, dirtiest low cost coal fired plants cost of production? I declare ********.

Here in Utah we pay $0.09/kWh because we have some common sense. Rates have gone nowhere in 40 years. Move to a state that burdens your power bill into the ground, creating a wake of poverty under the guise of progress, then yeah, it makes all the sense in the world to get away from that.

I'll wait 'til they develop solar "panels" that are the actual shingles that are on your house and don't **** it up aesthetically. I see that time coming in the next 10-20 or so years.

WTF so why did you PM me?

Also I think solar shingles are awesome. The issue they double to triple the price for them right now so you would have virtually no ROI so they make absolutely no sense. Also I think solar is cool and as long is its designed accurately it looks great. Also most home solar can go on the back or sides of home so you can never see it form the street.

residential.jpg

Looks better than all the power lines draped across a neighborhood, not to mention the smog that fills your city.

Producing solar power way up north out of the sunbelt for less than the cheapest, oldest, dirtiest low cost coal fired plants cost of production? I declare ********.

Here in Utah we pay $0.09/kWh because we have some common sense. Rates have gone nowhere in 40 years. Move to a state that burdens your power bill into the ground, creating a wake of poverty under the guise of progress, then yeah, it makes all the sense in the world to get away from that.

Solar is cheaper in those areas I promise. Why do you think companies like Sunrun, Vivint, Solar City etc are kicking so much *** right now? Our company is growing by about 200% per year because its like selling candy to a fat kid.

Do you know why you have such cheap power? Because Utah has about a million coal power plants. You guys provide power for most of California too.

Yea you have cheap energy but you also have the some of the WORST air quality in the world. So you can take your precious 0.9 KWH but don't cry when the EPA is telling Utah its unsafe to raise children or for pregnant women which just recently happened.

A little research goes a long way before you start spewing your "knowledge".

The aesthetics is just what you are used to, culturally. If 80% of the houses in a neighborhood go solar, suddenly tiles stop looking so good.