What's new

enjoy your 5-6 more years of "decent" jazz team fighting for the 8th playoff spot.

They can get elite talent if one of our players blow up into elite talent.

Agreed.... that is what a lot of us were hopin for.

But I think most of us can tell that no one on our roster is a tim duncan, lebron, kobe, kevin durant level player.

Hell I doubt anyone on our roster is even a paul pierce, paul george, kevin love, aldrige, cp3, james harden level of player.

Which is why our draft pick is so important

I want Patterson or Monroe. One of the two will probably be there at 9. If not, take Whiteside and hope he's decent.

So you showed that teams made mistakes in the draft.

But do you realize that when portland took sam bowie #1, they had the opportunity to pick MICHAEL JORDAN (6 championships) and made the wrong pick?

I'm not sure if you know this but having the #1 pick means you draft anyone you want in the draft.

I hope if the jazz get the #1 pick that dennis lindsey is good enough at his job to pick the michael jordan instead of the sam bowie.

So far in his one draft for the jazz hr picked burke, gobert, and neto.... which was a homerun for that draft imo, so I trust his drafting skills

^^^^^^ no idea why that post was quoted...... it was suppossed to quote the one showing all the #1 draft picks that mantis posted

Elite talent tends to win championships(only recent exception was the Pistons). The Jazz can't get that elite talent on the market. There are just too many other offers out there that are more intriguing to free agents of that caliber. The only way the Jazz can get elite talent is through the draft. If the goal is to continue to be mediocre with no chance at a title then they are on the path to that. Without hitting it big in the coming draft they will not be a title contender in the foreseeable future.

No one has proven that the Jazz can't get "elite" talent on the open market when they have a ton of money to throw at an elite free agent. There will always be players who crave large markets, that is the nature of EVERY business. Yes, the Jazz play in a small market. So what? what does that have to do with wanting to win championships and who can offer the largest paycheck and who can build the best team.

Draft matters. But it doesn't matter as much as people on here seem to think.

Dwayne wade was drafted by miami. 3 championships.
Dirk was drafted by dallas. Championship.
Kobe was drafted by lakers.
5 championships.
Paul pierce and rondo were drafted by boston.
1 or 2 championships. (Cant remember)
Parker and duncan drafted by spurs.
4 championships.

The bull **** is strong with this one. Kobe was of course drafted by Charlotte, Rondo was drafted by Phoenix, and Dirk was drafted by Milwaukee. Nice try, though. Also:

I'm not sure if you know this but having the #1 pick means you draft anyone you want in the draft.

Having the #1 may mean a lot of things, but it does not grant one 20/20 vision.

The bull **** is strong with this one. Kobe was of course drafted by Charlotte, Rondo was drafted by Phoenix, and Dirk was drafted by Milwaukee. Nice try, though. Also:

Having the #1 may mean a lot of things, but it does not grant one 20/20 vision.

Holy crap, man. So I guess the Jazz didn't draft Burke?

How many games did kobe play on a team not named the lakers?

What does that have to do with anything? The Hornets drafted him, the Lakers then traded for him. He was acquired in a trade, not in the draft. It wasn't a brilliant draft selection by the Lakers, it was a dumb trade by the Hornets. Same goes for any other player in this situation, including Trey. Had we not had two first round picks, and had the Wolves not wanted to trade, how the hell were we going to draft him?

The point is that he was aquired in the draft before anyone ever saw a single minute of nba action from him.... therefore draft picks are often the key component to championships. Not just duncan, but wade, kobe, rondo, dirk, pierce, jordan, magic, bird, ect ect

The point is that he was aquired in the draft before anyone ever saw a single minute of nba action from him....

So because he saw no NBA action, he was not traded to the Lakers? He was drafted by them?

You're trying to argue that somehow, the reason the Lakers won 5 championships in the past 15 years, is because they drafted well. When in reality, they got Kobe not because of their brilliant use of the draft, but because of their brilliant use of tampering. They whispered things into the ear of another team's draft pick, who then refused to report and demanded a trade(Kobe was NOT dealt on the draft night...I'm old enough to actually remember that). So, if you're proposing the Jazz emulate that, pray tell how.

So because he saw no NBA action, he was not traded to the Lakers? He was drafted by them?

You're trying to argue that somehow, the reason the Lakers won 5 championships in the past 15 years, is because they drafted well. When in reality, they got Kobe not because of their brilliant use of the draft, but because of their brilliant use of tampering. They whispered things into the ear of another team's draft pick, who then refused to report and demanded a trade(Kobe was NOT dealt on the draft night...I'm old enough to actually remember that). So, if you're proposing the Jazz emulate that, pray tell how.

Cool thing is that to get a kobe type player in the draft the jazz don't even need to emulate the lakers..... they just need to do what most every jazz fan wants them to do

Dwayne wade was drafted by miami. 3 championships.
Dirk was acquired in the draft by dallas. Championship.
Kobe was acquired in the draft by lakers.
5 championships.
Paul pierce and rondo were acquired in the draft by boston.
1 or 2 championships. (Cant remember)
Parker and duncan drafted by spurs.
4 championships.

Then ya have orlando (drafted dwight) and cleveland (drafted lebron) who each made it to the finals.

Buy ya no one wins championships by drafting players.
It would have been easy for all those teams without those players they drafted

Fixed for jim less..... Kobe, dirk, and rondo were acquired in the draft instead of drafted.

It is a crime against jazz fans that jefferson and williams play as much as they do. Last night jefferson played 25 mins and had 4 points. Marvin played 28 mins and had 2 points. Even if they had played really well instead of like crap they should never get more than 20 mins. Its supposed to be about developing the young guys not resurrecting careers.

By the way kanter who has been beasting lately only got 19 mins. Had 11 points 6 rebounds and 2 blocks.

I'm one frustrated fan.

Cool thing is that to get a kobe type player in the draft the jazz don't even need to emulate the lakers..... they just need to do what most every jazz fan wants them to do

Actually, to get a Kobe, a Rondo, a Parker, or a Dirk, it evidently doesn't even take a top 5 pick. Most of the players on your list could've been had with a 7th pick. Which is what we're going to get even if he put all our efforts into winning right now.

Your theory has more leaks than Snowden. Like the idea that drafting Wade or Rondo lead to championships, and not pulling off massive trades.

Actually, to get a Kobe, a Rondo, a Parker, or a Dirk, it evidently doesn't even take a top 5 pick. Most of the players on your list could've been had with a 7th pick. Which is what we're going to get even if he put all our efforts into winning right now.

Your theory has more leaks than Snowden. Like the idea that drafting Wade or Rondo lead to championships, and not pulling off massive trades.

All of those players were available with the #1 pick.

When you have the #1 pick that means you can draft any player who declared for the draft that year.

So if there is a guy that the jazz really want then they don't have to hope he falls to them or give up assests to aquire them.

Also if thet think the guy that want will be available later in the draft then they can trade down and pick up more assets.

#1 pick position is a better position to be in than any other in the draft.
(Feels strange to have to explain this to someone tbh)

All of those players were available with the #1 pick.

When you have the #1 pick that means you can draft any player who declared for the draft that year.

This is like the logic that when I'm single, I can sleep with any woman, including Scarlett Johansson.

If all those players were available with the number one pick, why were they simply not drafted number one?

This is like the logic that when I'm single, I can sleep with any woman, including Scarlett Johansson.

If all those players were available with the number one pick, why were they simply not drafted number one?

You absolutely boggle my mind sometimes, for real.

You absolutely boggle my mind sometimes, for real.

Logic will do that. Would you also like to attempt to prove the correlation(I won't even ask for causation, so it's much easier for you) between having the number one pick and winning championships down the road?