What's new

ESPN Insider: Blazers eye Matthews (why?)

hayward.jpg

Oh and two can play your game:

aldrich.jpg

And your point is? Hayward was the best player on a team that went to the Championship game. He also outperformed Wesley Johnson. I'm pretty sure there is a reason why the Jazz passed on Aldrich and took Hayward. A couple of other teams tried to trade up and get Hayward too. Hayward's ceiling > Aldrich's.

I sincerely hope if the Blazers do make Mathews an offer, its an outrageous one like Millsaps, then the Jazz don't match it so they have a MLE or maybe more type player rotting away on their bench. Maybe Portland should get in the business of actually trying to make offseason moves to address needs and better their team rather than trying to get back at another.

Wish the Jazz could do that too, but instead we got Mike Dunleavy jr jr.

My 2nd favorite team, now thats a good FO. Trying to beat out your division rivals....

Instead like Utah handing OKC Maynor and now Aldrich...

Trying to beat out ANYONE would be a nice change. This is a business; you don't always have to be so nice.

Im going to LOL at Matthews if he signs with Portland. Where is he going to find playing time? With Utah he is a guaranteed starter, he can work his way up to an even better next contract. With Portland he is going to be behind Roy.

And your point is? Hayward was the best player on a team that went to the Championship game. He also outperformed Wesley Johnson. I'm pretty sure there is a reason why the Jazz passed on Aldrich and took Hayward. A couple of other teams tried to trade up and get Hayward too. Hayward's ceiling > Aldrich's.

I sincerely hope if the Blazers do make Mathews an offer, its an outrageous one like Millsaps, then the Jazz don't match it so they have a MLE or maybe more type player rotting away on their bench. Maybe Portland should get in the business of actually trying to make offseason moves to address needs and better their team rather than trying to get back at another.

IMO, it's pretty debatable whether Hayward was the best player available.

As for him "outperforming" Wes Johnson, I think there's a few more factors that go into things.

Maybe after work I'll have more time to explain, but declaring him a better player than Johnson using the one game performance as your measurement is pretty pathetic. Of course, that's my opinion...

IMO, it's pretty debatable whether Hayward was the best player available.

As for him "outperforming" Wes Johnson, I think there's a few more factors that go into things.

Maybe after work I'll have more time to explain, but declaring him a better player than Johnson using the one game performance as your measurement is pretty pathetic. Of course, that's my opinion...

While the Single game preformance thing is true it doesn't change the fact that Johnson choked and Hayward won.

While the Single game preformance thing is true it doesn't change the fact that Johnson choked and Hayward won.

And the fact that Hayward won and Johnson "choked" means nothing in terms of future NBA success. We all know this.

So why even bring it up?

Holy sh#t! A Wes Matthews thread has somehow found a way to turn into a Gordon Haywood thread. I'm seriously suprised.

Getting back to Matthews, I realize the NBA is a business, but I seriously think Portland is doing this in part because the Jazz are involved. If Matthews spent his rookie season in New Jersey, I have a hard time believing he would basically be their top priority once FA opened. How important can a back-up for Brandon Roy be when they have several other wing players already on the roster that fill that role.

I don't think Portland would mind if they made Matthews an offer and Utah didn't match, but I have a feeling they are going to make him an offer for the sole purpose of Utah matching and hamstringing themselves even further when it comes to availabe FA cash.

My only hope is that when Utah is out from under the AK and Okur contracts they find a way to return the favor to those a-holes!

Yahoo! Sports reports the Blazers have targeted restricted free agent Wesley Matthews. Matthews was an undrafted rookie who spent a good part of the season in the starting lineup for the Jazz.

Matthews made $457,588 this past season.

Are they going to do the same thing that they did with Millsap? Wow! They really like screwing things up for us every offseason.