What's new

Exercising.

With a one-year old and a second coming in December, I really don't have that much time for friends and drinking tbh and most of mine are so consumed on weekends with their kid's soccer games that I should have an easier go at not drinking for an extended period of time. But then there's Labor Day weekend. And football get togethers. And going out to dinner Ugh. I am starting next Sunday and am gonna take it a day at a time, then a week at a time, like that. If I can get one good month in me, I think I can get a couple more.

This happens to me every time I get going good on a workout routine.

I will be doing great and going to the gym for 2 hours each day, 5 or 6 days a week.
Then my forearm or shoulder starts hurting to the point that I can't even do anything. I have to stop for months to get rid of the pain.

More than 3 days a week is too much. Injuries happen because of fatigue and straining your body.

More than 3 days a week is too much. Injuries happen because of fatigue and straining your body.
Good to know. I was probably over doing it.
I would lift for close to an hour (going quickly from one set of one exercise to another set of another exercise with very little rest between), then 20 minutes of elliptical, and then swim laps. 5 or 6 days per week.

Too much?

Not true if you mean you shouldn't lift more than three days a week. You could do 4-5 so long at least one of those days is legs and you're truly mixing up body parts.

Not true if you mean you shouldn't lift more than three days a week. You could do 4-5 so long at least one of those days is legs and you're truly mixing up body parts.
I always did chest and triceps one day, then back and biceps the next day, then legs and shoulders the next day. Then one day off and start over. (I always did a little bit of abs everyday)

I always did chest and triceps one day, then back and biceps the next day, then legs and shoulders the next day. Then one day off and start over. (I always did a little bit of abs everyday)

I used to do chest and tris Mondays, back and bis Wednesdays and shoulders Fridays with legs any other of the days off, though I did do it two of the other days at times. On top of that, I would do cardio in some form or another or play basketball a few times a week.

Something that took this hard-headed guy about 15 years to really figure out is just because I USED to be badass doesn't mean I still am.
Every time I've gotten back into working out I overdid it out of ego and burned myself out too quickly.

This time I'm learning to walk again and hopefully it's more sustainable in turn.

This, 1000 times this. I've started doing stuff a million times. It seems like the last 5 years I start all over again a couple times a year. Do good for a month or so, overdo it, have to to take a break.

I've been a lot more intentional this time and have gone a lot slower. I want to look and feel great, but I want it to last. Instead of looking better 6 weeks later than regressing, let's look a tiny bit better 6 weeks from now and look amazing 2 years from now and onward.