What's new

Expectations=more wins

oldtimer

I believe greater expectations will equal more wins. Last year the league's analysis of the last two minute of each game showed the jazz received more erroneous calls than any other team. It was not even close. the jazz got jobbed by the refs last year at a historical level. From my perspective, the jazz received terrible calls throughout the entire game not just the last couple of minutes. I suspect the refs simply thought the jazz were supposed to lose so they made bad call after bad call against the jazz.

However, the Jazz are finally receiving some very good press and expectations are sky high. I hope that translates into more respect from the refs and less questionable calls. It would be nice to be on the favorable end of whistle for once, especially after last year.

Probably won't matter until the playoffs though, since we'll be stomping everybody by 20+ points a game.

I believe greater expectations will equal more wins. Last year the league's analysis of the last two minute of each game showed the jazz received more erroneous calls than any other team. It was not even close. the jazz got jobbed by the refs last year at a historical level. From my perspective, the jazz received terrible calls throughout the entire game not just the last couple of minutes. I suspect the refs simply thought the jazz were supposed to lose so they made bad call after bad call against the jazz.

However, the Jazz are finally receiving some very good press and expectations are sky high. I hope that translates into more respect from the refs and less questionable calls. It would be nice to be on the favorable end of whistle for once, especially after last year.
I agree. I think hype and reputation/expectation probably affects referees at least a little bit.

I love this post, it cracks me up.

I worry about the expectations because it set's us up for another choke job like last year. The last thing these guys need to know is how good they are. I remember when Quin publicly reminded his team that they haven't accomplished **** around this time last year. Hopefully the sting from last year will keep them focused up and hungry to win. I wasn't always happy with the effort level last season. Too much entitlement, and that had to come from expectations.

Well I'm glad I made you laugh Kqwin. I agree that this team hasn't done anything yet and should not act entitled. The point of the post was that maybe if the refs expect the jazz to win maybe they will give them a fair shake with the calls. I might be unrealistically optimistic.

I love this post, it cracks me up.

I worry about the expectations because it set's us up for another choke job like last year. The last thing these guys need to know is how good they are. I remember when Quin publicly reminded his team that they haven't accomplished **** around this time last year. Hopefully the sting from last year will keep them focused up and hungry to win. I wasn't always happy with the effort level last season. Too much entitlement, and that had to come from expectations.

Injuries killed us last year, though. After Exum went down, I think most fans at least, really lowered their expectations, let alone losing Gobert and Favors for significant time. Yeah, we choked down the stretch, but even the best of the best have their moments when they choke in big games, and I don't think the choking had anything to do with complacency. This team WILL choke again at some point, but we should still be in a much better situation this year to keep the choking to a minimum, or to do damage control and recover instead of losing the game. Not only that, but a choke job this year might just mean getting the 4th seed instead of the 3rd.

For now, I'm gonna keep chuggin' the kool aid like a man who's been stuck in the Sahara for a week.:D

Last edited:
I like it. I think there is little chance we are the last place team on that list of missed calls again this season. I think expectations will effect that but also the fact that the refs will be trained more on what they were doing wrong and wont want to embarrass themselves of showing they are consistently calling one teams games wrong. I expect Jazz to be close to the middle on that 2 min report at the end of the season.

I like it. I think there is little chance we are the last place team on that list of missed calls again this season. I think expectations will effect that but also the fact that the refs will be trained more on what they were doing wrong and wont want to embarrass themselves of showing they are consistently calling one teams games wrong. I expect Jazz to be close to the middle on that 2 min report at the end of the season.

If I were Quinn I would be passing a copy of that report to every single damn referee during shootaround with the games the referee was involved with highlighted. And the guys that were really bad I would give them a second copy the next game they reffed. Some of the "reputation" thing has to do with coaching, and battlespace preparation. Phil Jackson was a whiny *****, but he got calls for his players.

Injuries killed us last year, though. After Exum went down, I think most fans at least, really lowered their expectations, let alone losing Gobert and Favors for significant time. Yeah, we choked down the stretch, but even the best of the best have their moments when they choke in big games, and I don't think the choking had anything to do with complacency. This team WILL choke again at some point, but we should still be in a much better situation this year to keep the choking to a minimum, or to do damage control and recover instead of losing the game. Not only that, but a choke job this year might just mean getting the 4th seed instead of the 3rd.

For now, I'm gonna keep chuggin' the kool aid like a man who's been stuck in the Sahara for a week.:D

I have a very high opinion of our talent. I think they underperformed even through the injuries. Heck, just take a look at the point differential. We were the 5th best team in conference but we ended up 9th because we choked so often. Regardless, I want this team to come out hungry and with something to prove. There were too many nights last year where they had no energy and spent too much time complaining to the refs. Hopefully last year's disappointment will fire them up. All the pieces are hear to have a great team, it's just a matter of going out and doing it now.

I'm with Cappy! Steam roll them!!! I want scores of 115 - 23

Not disputing, but I'd like to see the stats and see how many points for/against bad calls cost Utah and how many games MAY have been affected. Quin broke down the close games and noted it was really the inability of Utah to get defensive stops and get defensive rebounds that led to losses.

I think refs may give close calls to stars, but I don't think it really made much difference in Utah's win/loss record. Utah couldn't get stops and couldn't make baskets. They got outplayed, outmuscled and outhustled in the last 5 mins of games last year. Diaw, JJ and Hill will make sure that doesn't happen this season.

Not disputing, but I'd like to see the stats and see how many points for/against bad calls cost Utah and how many games MAY have been affected. Quin broke down the close games and noted it was really the inability of Utah to get defensive stops and get defensive rebounds that led to losses.

I think refs may give close calls to stars, but I don't think it really made much difference in Utah's win/loss record. Utah couldn't get stops and couldn't make baskets. They got outplayed, outmuscled and outhustled in the last 5 mins of games last year. Diaw, JJ and Hill will make sure that doesn't happen this season.

They would have received a greater number of stops if their opponents weren't bailed out with so many free throws and extra possessions. That officiating list is damning... Better not be repeated

They would have received a greater number of stops if their opponents weren't bailed out with so many free throws and extra possessions. That officiating list is damning... Better not be repeated

First let me say that I think old timer is nothing more than a myopic homer. I don't say this as a slight as most fans are but it does cloud his vision regarding our team.

In regards to the two posts quoted, I think our final record last year was a combination of both influences though Stifle's had more of an impact...and don't forget to add in injuries.