What's new

Exum Injured

The most positive thing I'm getting from Exum's injury is the sudden influx of national writers reporting on the Jazz. Makes me real happy to read all this stuff, although I for sure wish that it didn't happen due to injury.

That being said, can anyone post what Pelton said about Jazz making the playoffs despite Exum's injury? I don't have insider

Locke says no official timetable will be given. But then says surgery + 6 months rehab. So February at the earliest. I'd think mid march is more likely. So one month before playoffs.

6 months sounds like it's only the ACL, no other parts of his knee.

Here's a story by a user on reddit about his own experience recovering from torn ACL:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3g3qrp/the_time_i_came_back_from_an_acl_tear/

The time I came back from an ACL tear.
Regarding the recent injury of Dante Exum, it hit a nerve in me. Not long ago, I had to comeback from a devastating knee injury myself that could've ended my basketball career. I know a lot of people have gone through a lot worse setbacks than I have, but as a long time lurker on this sub, it felt appropriate to give back and share a story of my own, especially since the nba stories are really slow these days(hope you guys don't mind). I'm a 6'3 asian point guard,went to high school in Canada, was a highly regarded prospect in grade 10, and many expected me to go on to play in college and beyond. Things all started to go down hill from there. In the home opener of my grade 11 year, I went for a lay up but landed awkwardly and felt a sharp pain. After a MRI scan, it was revealed I tore my meniscus, ACL and MCL, with additional bone artifacts. I was told there was a chance I might never play again if my rehab don't go well. It was seriously the hardest moment of my life, the definition of going from 100 to 0. Colleges that were communicating with me suddenly stopped and it felt like all the hard work I put in to the game has gone to waste. That year I helped manage the team, carrying basketballs and taking stats and eventually did the reconstruction surgery 3 months later. The surgeon had explain to me previously what would happen. The scene is a lot like the ending for Kobe's documentary "The Muse", where the doctor talk to you 1 on 1 holding onto a model of knee ligaments. Ofcourse you don't really care about what he's saying, all you wanted at that point would be to get the surgery,and get back onto the court. He explained that he would take a part of my hamstrings and, let it replicate the ACL.

I hear that many people go years without getting their surgery, and some just chose not to get it at all, but I wanted mine done quickly, so after doing about 2 months of pre-rehab(to minimize actual rehab time), I finally got the surgery, and it was like no other surgery I've ever gotten. After the surgery, still high on anesthetic, I was able to walk with a limp and thought it was no big deal. The next day it hit me that I couldn't move the knee at all and even the simple task of going to the washroom and sitting down required assistance. Basically imagine walking around everywhere with one of your legs completely straight, and if it bends just a little bit, you will feel the biggest pain. The light at the end of the tunnel flashes twice, once, when you start biking, because your knee basically haven't moved in forever, so the first time biking would feel like flying, but that feeling does wear off(biking alone on a stationary bike for 45 min is not very intriguing). The second light comes when you start being able to walk again. I compare this to an infant taking his first steps, excited, happy, everyone watching clapping being proud of you except unlike when you were a child this time you would remember the experience for life, a truly chilling feeling, I bursted into tears of joy as it was a sign that everything would be ok. The workout routine of the rehab itself was tough, you're basically fighting the limits of your knee on every exercise as you're afraid to re injure your knee. A normal rehab workout would be biking for 30 minutes, then knee strengthening, agility(for the later parts of rehab), and then icing, a lot of icing. https://imgur.com/kvSIPwC <---- that type of icing lol

I managed to rehab myself back onto the court within 6 months, just in time to the start of my grade 12 year.

As the main scorer for the majority of my time in high school years, I clearly knew my new knee had limits, and would change the way I approached the game, thus I played the majority of my senior year as a spot up shooter. My scoring went down significantly.There would be games where basketball just did not seem fun anymore, and after going 0-10 from 3s in a game, I broke down, feeling sorry for myself and I wanted to quit. However my coach made me believe in our system. I remember texting coach, and he would tell me to stick with it and good things will happen for those who work hard and are patient. After a long christmas break, things finally looked like they started clicking. I had a 29 point game against one of the best teams in the province, and even got a congrats from Nash himself. Proof below, I'm number 11 haha.

https://blogs.smus.bc.ca/review/2014/01/28/nash-visit-highlights-week-of-b-ball/#.VcRUWJNViko

Then in the island finals, we faced our rival team who's lead by a future 6'11 NBA prospect. On their home court, with the game tied at 72 72 something happened that I would remember for the rest of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QI7i8alAk8

https://blogs.smus.bc.ca/review/2014/02/24/senior-boys-basketball-aa-island-champs/#.VcRVEZNVikq

When life hits you with a setback, you could either give up right there and fail, or you can quit feeling sorry for yourself and turn that **** into a comeback.

PS. we lost to the same team in the provincial finals, no fairy tale ending. :(

I thought it was a nice story with some insight into what's ahead of Dante, as well as some optimism. At the end of the day, no matter how depressing the situation is right now and how tough the path to recovery will be for him, the days of ACL surgeries being the end of careers are long over and with the appropriate help and support system, we can expect Dante to return better than ever(eventually).

This kind of thinking is the reason I don't believe in fate. It pisses me off to think that no matter what bad thing happens it was what was going to happen no matter what. If this is the case then what's the point of anything?

Maybe this will help!

Sayings like, “His time had come” and, “It was the will of God” are often heard whenever death or tragedy strikes. In West Africa, slogans such as “Man proposes, God disposes” are commonly painted on public transport vehicles and are posted as signs in shops. For many they are merely figures of speech. Oftentimes, though, they reflect a deep-seated belief in fatalism.

Just what is fatalism? The World Book Encyclopedia defines it as “the belief that events are determined by forces that human beings cannot control.” What are these “forces”? Thousands of years ago, the Babylonians believed that an individual’s fate was strongly influenced by the configuration of the stars at his birth.

The Greeks believed that fate was in the hands of three powerful goddesses who spun, measured, and cut the thread of life. However, it was Christendom’s theologians who came up with the idea that God himself determines a person’s fate!

Since a fatalist believes that the future is as inevitable and fixed as the past, he may easily hatch a perilous character trait. Which trait? The Encyclopedia of Theology answers: “The individual .*.*. feels helpless, an insignificant, expendable factor in social processes which seem to be inescapable. This induces a passivity which gratefully clutches at the superstitious explanation that everything depends on an enigmatic but sovereign fate.”

In the book of Ecclesiastes, Solomon further wrote: “I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor.” Why? He explained: “Because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.”—Ecclesiastes 9:11.

Rather than suggesting that everything in life is determined by fate, Solomon was pointing out that humans cannot accurately predict the outcome of any endeavor “because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.” Often, something happens to a person simply because he is in the right place at the right time, or we might say, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Maybe this will help!

Sayings like, “His time had come” and, “It was the will of God” are often heard whenever death or tragedy strikes. In West Africa, slogans such as “Man proposes, God disposes” are commonly painted on public transport vehicles and are posted as signs in shops. For many they are merely figures of speech. Oftentimes, though, they reflect a deep-seated belief in fatalism.

Just what is fatalism? The World Book Encyclopedia defines it as “the belief that events are determined by forces that human beings cannot control.” What are these “forces”? Thousands of years ago, the Babylonians believed that an individual’s fate was strongly influenced by the configuration of the stars at his birth.

The Greeks believed that fate was in the hands of three powerful goddesses who spun, measured, and cut the thread of life. However, it was Christendom’s theologians who came up with the idea that God himself determines a person’s fate!

Since a fatalist believes that the future is as inevitable and fixed as the past, he may easily hatch a perilous character trait. Which trait? The Encyclopedia of Theology answers: “The individual .*.*. feels helpless, an insignificant, expendable factor in social processes which seem to be inescapable. This induces a passivity which gratefully clutches at the superstitious explanation that everything depends on an enigmatic but sovereign fate.”

In the book of Ecclesiastes, Solomon further wrote: “I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor.” Why? He explained: “Because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.”—Ecclesiastes 9:11.

Rather than suggesting that everything in life is determined by fate, Solomon was pointing out that humans cannot accurately predict the outcome of any endeavor “because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.” Often, something happens to a person simply because he is in the right place at the right time, or we might say, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Nope, doesn't help at all because after about two sentences of this crap I quit reading. Thanks for trying even though I have no idea what you were trying to accomplish.

Exum tearing his ACL is the worst news we could have gotten this offseason. There is no positive way to spin this. It totally sucks.

It's not that he was going to be some world-beating All-Star this season - perhaps he would've been the same as last season on offense and only a little stronger defensively. But he brings a totally different dynamic to the court than Burke or Cotton and it is going to be sorely missed. 6'5/6'6 point guards aren't a dime a dozen in the league.

The key to remaining competitive for a playoff spot without Exum is keeping everyone healthy (duh) but particularly Burks and Hood. I think those two have major game and neither one was able to display it consistently all last year. Burks was out, and Hood didn't come on til he got fully healthy the last month or two of the season. Both can be killers, and can take a lot of pressure of Hayward so that would be gigantic for us because Hayward can play a distributor/creator role for stints.

Exum tearing his ACL is the worst news we could have gotten this offseason.

I disagree.

I would rather exum tear his ACL than:
Gobert
Burks
Hayward
Favors
Hood

It certainly sucks, but at least he is really young, so he should heal, and there is a chance he was/is never going to be very good anyway.

Those others that I listed we know that at the least they are all good rotation players.

Exum tearing his ACL is the worst news we could have gotten this offseason. There is no positive way to spin this. It totally sucks.

It's not that he was going to be some world-beating All-Star this season - perhaps he would've been the same as last season on offense and only a little stronger defensively. But he brings a totally different dynamic to the court than Burke or Cotton and it is going to be sorely missed. 6'5/6'6 point guards aren't a dime a dozen in the league.

The key to remaining competitive for a playoff spot without Exum is keeping everyone healthy (duh) but particularly Burks and Hood. I think those two have major game and neither one was able to display it consistently all last year. Burks was out, and Hood didn't come on til he got fully healthy the last month or two of the season. Both can be killers, and can take a lot of pressure of Hayward so that would be gigantic for us because Hayward can play a distributor/creator role for stints.

IAWTP, well not the first paragraph. But the rest, yeah I agree.

Yeah. I'm not religious at all. I find that not wanting stuff/facing the reality that I am going to lose everything I value including my existence and there is nothing I can do to stop it, gives me some peace. I don't worry about **** that I otherwise would.

Like it.

Yeah but you can probably buy a self help book off the shelf and it'll probably give you the same advice... I'm sure somebody has already written a book already called "The Art of Letting Go" or some **** like that.

It's really nothing special, and when you see people who don't even have enough food to eat devoting their lives and donating $$$$ to temples so that those monks can get rich and gold gild their temple, to me it makes me sick.

All the same **** could be said of Christianity, but that's beside the point. I'm not Buddhist I just think the Buddha shared a cool pov with the world. The temple thing seems weird to me. It seems to me to be the opposite of what Buddha was saying. I could be wrong and frankly I don't care. I don't think the Buddha is infallible. I take what I like and ignore the rest. The one thing I can say of Buddhism compared to the world religions is that I appreciate and agree with much more of it.

A comment from a Phoenix Suns fan on the Utah Jazz facebook page, lol I do in it a heartbeat:

John Merrifield · Seattle, Washington
If I owned the Suns I would give your guys Eric Bledsoe for Trey Burke and an unprotected 2016 1st round pick.

Nope, doesn't help at all because after about two sentences of this crap I quit reading. Thanks for trying even though I have no idea what you were trying to accomplish.

Was just confirming your belief that "fate" does not control everyone's life! It's a false religious idea that started with the Babylonians or possibly the Egyptians, was strongly promulgated by the Greeks and is extremely popular in most churches of Christendom! However, it is not a Scriptural or Biblical teaching.

A comment from a Phoenix Suns fan on the Utah Jazz facebook page, lol I do in it a heartbeat:

John Merrifield · Seattle, Washington
If I owned the Suns I would give your guys Eric Bledsoe for Trey Burke and an unprotected 2016 1st round pick.

I think he's trolling you...

funnily enough in the medium to long term this could actually make or break him. He'll really have to push to firstly recover and then get his spot back instead of it being handed to him as the least worst option.