What's new

Falling out of love with Al Jefferson

When The Jazz picked up AJ I watched a great deal of video and I can tell you for sure that the explosiveness is not there yet. Granted he's no Karl Malone but I think as the season goes on and he gains more confidence you'll see him attack the rim a lot more.

Im guessing the same thing...I think in the back of his mind, he is still playing with an injury. He needs to get past that for that alone can hurt him.

UnstoppabAL!

I'm still in love with Big Al, especially his unstoppable Weezy. Do you critics realize how rare it is for a post player to have an indefensible shot? I think of Kareem with his sky hook, Shaq with his bull rush, Hakeem with his fadeaway and Nowitzki with his top-of-the-key jumper among just a handful. Exhibit A: Al against Camby, arguably one of the best one-on-one post defenders in the league. Al got off -- and made -- the Weezy whenever he wanted, to the point that Portland had to consistently double-team him. Exhibit B: Al against NO -- they had to double-team him on almost every possession. By mid-season, the Jefferson trade will be regarded with the same awe and anguish as the Gasol trade by GMs around the league, although the Jazzfanz naysayers will still be naysaying.

Camby, arguably one of the best one-on-one post defenders in the league.

I stopped reading at this point. Camby is not close to one of the best one-on-one post defenders in the league. He's terrible at it. He's a good help defender but on post defense the guy is weak and just bad.

One of the biggest improvements I saw in AJ is he was actually ready to catch a pass when someone was driving with the ball. I think he had three nice lay ups on plays like that against NO. In previous games he is usually looking at the rim and ends up dropping the pass. It can only get better from here.

One of the biggest improvements I saw in AJ is he was actually ready to catch a pass when someone was driving with the ball. I think he had three nice lay ups on plays like that against NO. In previous games he is usually looking at the rim and ends up dropping the pass. It can only get better from here.

I noticed the same the same plays Smokey. I thought to myself, "Damn, son, looks like you're getting the hang of things, you big son of a bitch. You like that ****, huh son!?!!" Anyway, the Jazz offense is a difficult one to master. I have no doubt he will master it.

Al showed lots of progress tonight. But you still see both sides:

1st Half: Jazz O struggling, ball goes into Al, he took shots he shouldn't have. Still made shots, but almost exclusively as one on one player.
2nd Half: The bulk of his scoring came on assists from Deron or garbage cleanups. But the big difference is he was moving consistently to the basket. Deron found him a lot and he was ready for the passes. In the first half, he wasn't moving to the basket at all. Second Half Al is going to be a force for us.

Al did what everyone wanted of him. Had a great game, and more importantly a win, against the Lakers.

Averaging 20/10 over the last 4.

That reverse slam with authority was something everyone was waiting on.

He's fine, it just took him a few games to get used to this new team/system.

He's a top 5 center, only ones I would take over him are Howard and a healthy Bynum, that's it.

Averaging 20/10 over the last 4.

That reverse slam with authority was something everyone was waiting on.

What, this little thing?

ap-1cc69c3763594bdaa55cb252cda37776.jpg

This is why you get rid of Boozer and bring in Big Al. No more disapearing acts from Boozer v the Lakers. Big AL is the truth.....

good post. I am seeing this as well. Previous teams he was the other players almost always shot on those plays so he was looking for rebounds. Now he is starting to look for the passes and getting himself in position to receive the passes. Then if they shoot he is looking for the rebound. Catching the pass if it comes is more important that getting the offensive board if they miss. I think this is a major step in figuring out this offense for him.