What's new

Favors 3yr/27M

True. The stats may not bear it out, but I just remember so many slow starts with the Fav/Rudy starting lineup. I am curious to watch the Conley/Clarkson/Ingles/Niang/Favors bench squad though. If they're hitting 3s at just an average rate they could probably blow out just about every other bench unit.

The Jazz need a low-usage, athletic, defensive 4. Right now, the options are Royce O'Neale (who really should guard 2s and 3s), Favors (who makes the Jazz really big), or one of the young guys Morgan or Brantley (who aren't ready yet). If the Jazz had a guy like OG Anunoby, then yeah, play that guy, but we don't.

Locke said on his pod today that Favors would be starting...and him and Mike would leave the floor early and run the bench unit with Ingles. I hope we don't start Fav/Rudy again and he just misspoke...
Let's see, starting favs and Rudy wasn't good. Starting Conley over Ingles was flat out bad. So starting favs Rudy and Conley should be, awesome! Right? Awesome! ****ING AWESOME ************!!!

giphy.gif

Hey, you never know. For all we know that’s the championship combination haha
Yeah you never know, I mean a cup of lemon juice isn't fun to drink, and a cup of rubbing alcohol is terrible, but mix them together and they could be gourmet ice cream! You never know!

I'm just realizing that Favors is a better fit to play off of Mike Conley than Rudy is. Bringing Favors back should help Mike play more of the same role he did in Memphis.

Let's see, starting favs and Rudy wasn't good. Starting Conley over Ingles was flat out bad. So starting favs Rudy and Conley should be, awesome! Right? Awesome! ****ING AWESOME ************!!!

giphy.gif
I guess the way to solving a problem is by doubling down on the factors that create them, THEN multiplying it by itself. Multiplying negative integers yields a positive product, right?

Seems legit.

It doesn't really matter if he starts or not. What are we expecting out of Favors, for him to not play PF at all? Maybe, but that means we just spent our full MLE and $30M for 12-16 minutes a night.

Favors+Gobert has been ugly, but always successful in the regular season. It's the playoffs where it will cease to exist.
Except against the Lakers, where it will be the best chance we have.

I love Faves and am glad to have him back.

But why in the hell did we draft Udoka at #27 again?
Here's my thinking. What if they resigned Favors to start him @ Power Forward? He and Gobert @ Center seemed to be a pretty dominant defensive Front Court. Yes, they bogged down offensively, but I think that was more a product of the Jazz lacking perimeter shooting (Ricky Rubio) than it was those two not being able to co-exist. The Jazz now have tons of perimeter shooting (Conley, Mitchell, Bogdanovic, Clarkson, O'Neale, and Ingles) to negate the lack of perimeter shooting from Favors. The Jazz then drafted Azubuike to replace Tony Bradley's minutes and resigned Favors to improve the their overall defense (and move Bogdanovic to SF+Ingles to the bench), which struggled last year w/out Gobert on the floor. I like this depth chart:

PG: Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson, Elijah Hughes
SG: Donovan Mitchell, Royce O'Neale, Miye Oni
SF: Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles, Juwan Morgan
PF: Derrick Favors, Georges Niang, Juwan Morgan
C: Rudy Gobert, Udoka Azubuike, Derrick Favors

This is the feel good story that brought me out of Jazz retirement. I just can't believe the Pels didn't do something to keep him in the fold. I just remember how the announcers were gushing about his play when the season resumed in the bubble. This and the fact that the Lakers dashed McGee for Gasol gives me hope for next season.:cool:

Difference last time Favs was here is Bojan and Conley ...

I’d expect a starting lineup of Gobert- Favs-Bojan-Mitchell-Conley

They want Favs and Gobert to set the tone defensively... sub Favs and Conley early for Ingles and Clarkson ... , Favs comes back at end of first Q for Gobert
Agreed
But what about Royce instead of Joe?
IMO it makes more sense...more balanced lineup.
Jingles could enter later with Favs...they used to play terifically well together iirc.

Here's my thinking. What if they resigned Favors to start him @ Power Forward? He and Gobert @ Center seemed to be a pretty dominant defensive Front Court. Yes, they bogged down offensively, but I think that was more a product of the Jazz lacking perimeter shooting (Ricky Rubio) than it was those two not being able to co-exist. The Jazz now have tons of perimeter shooting (Conley, Mitchell, Bogdanovic, Clarkson, O'Neale, and Ingles) to negate the lack of perimeter shooting from Favors. The Jazz then drafted Azubuike to replace Tony Bradley's minutes and resigned Favors to improve the their overall defense (and move Bogdanovic to SF+Ingles to the bench), which struggled last year w/out Gobert on the floor. I like this depth chart:

PG: Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson, Elijah Hughes
SG: Donovan Mitchell, Royce O'Neale, Miye Oni
SF: Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles, Juwan Morgan
PF: Derrick Favors, Georges Niang, Juwan Morgan
C: Rudy Gobert, Udoka Azubuike, Derrick Favors
I don't see Favors going much over 22 minutes a night most nights. 17 of those are when Rudy isn't playing.
But, maybe that is what they drafted a center for. . .

I don't see Favors going much over 22 minutes a night most nights. 17 of those are when Rudy isn't playing.
But, maybe that is what they drafted a center for. . .
I think we gave Favors the full MLE to be a backup for Gobert and injury cover just in case. We paid more than many other teams would for that role. However, Favors knows the system and his role. I don't think Favors will be playing that much PF especially come playoff time. He didn't in the past so I don't know why many would expect that to change now.

I think we gave Favors the full MLE to be a backup for Gobert and injury cover just in case. We paid more than many other teams would for that role. However, Favors knows the system and his role. I don't think Favors will be playing that much PF especially come playoff time. He didn't in the past so I don't know why many would expect that to change now.
Depends on the matchup. He will absolutely play more minutes against the Lakers in a matchup, probably against a team like Dallas as well. I'd probably run him and Gobert against Golden State as I just don't think they could stop him at all with who they have.

In a favorable matchup there is no reason that Favors couldn't suck up ALL of Niang's minutes + his own. He just can't do it every night.

Agreed
But what about Royce instead of Joe?
IMO it makes more sense...more balanced lineup.
Jingles could enter later with Favs...they used to play terifically well together iirc.
In fact, I hope that Favs gets essentially all of his backup center minutes with Ingles on the floor.

Reading some quotes from Favors, he seems really happy to be back in Utah playing for Quin and with his teammates again. Says Joe, Rudy and Conley texted him as soon as the news broke and Donovan and Royce facetimed him.