What's new

Favors 3yr/27M

Last I remember Don defended Murray well and Murray defended Don well but they were both unstoppable.
Oh, actually, you are wrong on this. At no point, until game 7, Don was the primary defender of Murray. You should recall that Royce had that assignment and he did a good job in the first few games, then got absolutely burned on D. Ingles tried early on, was even worse. In game 7, Donovan and Conley spend more time defending him (and Rudy's help came much higher in the pick n roll) and did a much better job in containing him. On the other hand, Denver's primary defender on DM was Grant, followed by Harris and PJ Dozier at the end. Craig, Millsap and Porter JR got burned by DM when switched onto him. Of course Murray defended DM in some occasions but that wasn't Denver scheme (he didn't do a good job like you claim). We lost that series because we had no one to contain Murray and help Rudy defend that high Jokic/Murray pick n roll. Jokic was a hard cover but he wasn't the one scoring 50 on us.

It seems last year's offseason was all about building an offense capable of beating a switchy defense. Now, it's about size against LA (Derrick has done a tremendous job against AD in the past). I'm really concerned about our ability to defend the perimeter though. I'm not buying Oni's stock until I see him defend at a high level (sounds more like a healthy Burks is our FA acquisition type of claim by the FO). Hopefully I'm wrong.

Having Favors on the team increases Joe ingles' effectiveness by at least 25%. It also makes Joe able to thrive on the bench because he doesn't have to iso like he did with Centers who couldn't run the pick and roll. Favors will also help Conley because he can pick and pop. Favors has a huge chemistry impact that goes beyond his position.

Oh, actually, you are wrong on this. At no point, until game 7, Don was the primary defender of Murray. You should recall that Royce had that assignment and he did a good job in the first few games, then got absolutely burned on D. Ingles tried early on, was even worse. In game 7, Donovan and Conley spend more time defending him (and Rudy's help came much higher in the pick n roll) and did a much better job in containing him. On the other hand, Denver's primary defender on DM was Grant, followed by Harris and PJ Dozier at the end. Craig, Millsap and Porter JR got burned by DM when switched onto him. Of course Murray defended DM in some occasions but that wasn't Denver scheme (he didn't do a good job like you claim). We lost that series because we had no one to contain Murray and help Rudy defend that high Jokic/Murray pick n roll. Jokic was a hard cover but he wasn't the one scoring 50 on us.
Hidden inside many of these different defenses was our diminutive Condiddley, who we all knew had zero chance of impacting our biggest problems in that series.
Having Favors on the team increases Joe ingles' effectiveness by at least 25%. It also makes Joe able to thrive on the bench because he doesn't have to iso like he did with Centers who couldn't run the pick and roll. Favors will also help Conley because he can pick and pop. Favors has a huge chemistry impact that goes beyond his position.
I think Favors makes a lot of sense. Our first-round pick, however,....

It's not usually ideal, but in some circumstances against big teams Rudy and Favs can play together for stretches. I imagine Rudy and Udo can do the same. I think this gives us a legit 48 minutes of lane defense. Last year when Rudy went out we typically got clobbered. I thought Tony was a nice guy, but he was too slow on d and got stuffed on the offensive end so many times. Favs comes back in and knows the system. JC comes back in and knows the system. MC hopefully comes back comfortable with the system. I'd like to see one more piece of offense off the bench, but I'm pretty psyched about this year now.

Hidden inside many of these different defenses was our diminutive Condiddley, who we all knew had zero chance of impacting our biggest problems in that series.

I think Favors makes a lot of sense. Our first-round pick, however,....

With his size, hands, quickness and vertical Udoka might be pretty good in the pick and roll, no?

Have to say, I'm worried about Favors's health. Missed a lot of time last year, and didn't really pop athletically much when he was in. Hope he can lose a bit of weight again and that the Jazz's training staff figure out a way to keep him going. Hurts not having several months before the season starts.
On the bright side it does seem he will just be a backup to Rudy

Savor the Favors.

It feels good to sign/re-sign guys like Favors and Clarkston and not trade assets for guys (not that we have any picks left).

Locke said on his pod today that Favors would be starting...and him and Mike would leave the floor early and run the bench unit with Ingles. I hope we don't start Fav/Rudy again and he just misspoke...

Locke said on his pod today that Favors would be starting...and him and Mike would leave the floor early and run the bench unit with Ingles. I hope we don't start Fav/Rudy again and he just misspoke...

It might work better this time with Conley and Bogdanovic on the floor with Mitchell. The problem in the past was compounded by Rubio being a non-shooter.

It might work better this time with Conley and Bogdanovic on the floor with Mitchell. The problem in the past was compounded by Rubio being a non-shooter.
True. The stats may not bear it out, but I just remember so many slow starts with the Fav/Rudy starting lineup. I am curious to watch the Conley/Clarkson/Ingles/Niang/Favors bench squad though. If they're hitting 3s at just an average rate they could probably blow out just about every other bench unit.

So is this a coaching decision or is the FO trying to run the team again?

It doesn't really matter if he starts or not. What are we expecting out of Favors, for him to not play PF at all? Maybe, but that means we just spent our full MLE and $30M for 12-16 minutes a night.

Favors+Gobert has been ugly, but always successful in the regular season. It's the playoffs where it will cease to exist.

Late to the party but my take is that Jazz FO is preparing IF Jazz won't be able to strike a deal with Rudy.
IF that happens at least there's Favors and Dok to man the fort.
Then with Rudy S&T could net replacement plus usable pieces.

A couple days out from the move I'm thinking a couple things.

Optimist - Jazz want to build a team that can compete with The Lakers size in a 7 game series. LAL goes Davis/McGee or Davis/Montrez Jazz will have an answer.

Pessimist - The contract negotiations with Gobert are not going well. Either they're far apart or Gobert doesn't want a new deal and wants to become a UFA. Or, The Jazz are looking to trade Gobert. Re-signing Favors and picking up a center in the first round may raise the eyebrows of some GMs in the league and will motivate them to pick up the phone to see if there is a deal to be had for Gobert.

A couple days out from the move I'm thinking a couple things.

Optimist - Jazz want to build a team that can compete with The Lakers size in a 7 game series. LAL goes Davis/McGee or Davis/Montrez Jazz will have an answer.

Pessimist - The contract negotiations with Gobert are not going well. Either they're far apart or Gobert doesn't want a new deal and wants to become a UFA. Or, The Jazz are looking to trade Gobert. Re-signing Favors and picking up a center in the first round may raise the eyebrows of some GMs in the league and will motivate them to pick up the phone to see if there is a deal to be had for Gobert.

I agree with your pessimistic assessment. French people have a different mentality than most Americans and even other Europeans. The French are generalized as arrogant but it stems from their seriousness and propensity for honesty at all costs. They don't suffer fools. I've spent almost a year in France and witnessed it. Frenchies don't play games, even with other Frenchies. They rise above B.S.

Here's my theory:
I think Donovan blaming Rudy for spreading coronavirus hurt Rudy deeply. It also embarrassed Rudy. It's impossible to ascertain whether Rudy even had it first. I think Donovan purposely used that moment to escalate his ongoing beef with Rudy. The fact that his teammates, the front office, most fans, and the local press didn't really speak up to defend him made it even worse. He realized that he would never be treated as an equal to Donovan. Rudy won't speak out in the press, he won't try to win over his detractors. He will simply move on.

Last edited:
I agree with your pessimistic assessment. French people have a different mentality than most Americans and even other Europeans. The French are generalized as an arrogant. But it stems from their seriousness and propensity for honesty at all costs. They just don't suffer fools well at all. I've spent about a year total in France over the last 25 years and have continually witnessed it. Frenchies don't play games, even with other Frenchies. They rise above B.S.

Here's my theory:
I think Donovan blaming Rudy for spreading coronavirus hurt Rudy deeply. It also embarrassed Rudy. It was impossible to ascertain whether Rudy even had it first. I think Donovan purposely used that moment to escalate his ongoing beef with Rudy. The fact that his teammates, the front office, most fans, and the local press didn't really speak up to defend him made it even worse. He realized that he would never be treated as an equal to Donovan. Rudy won't speak out in the press, he won't try to win over his detractors. He will simply move on.

Yes, I think it's completely correct that this is a very likely mindset for Rudy right now. SLC Dunk said they think there is an 80% percent chance that Rudy re-ups before the season. No doubt they're pulling that number out of their ***.

I guess we'll see - Rudy isn't even in the US right now, is he? The first week of training camp we'll definitely get a sense.

Regardless I think the Utah FO has tipped their hand already - they're preparing for the possibility of life without Rudy.

If you play Favors more than 20 minutes a game he's going to be injured most of the season . 16-18 is probably the sweet spot. If we trade or lose Rudy there will be a serious problem at center unless Udoka is better than everyone thinks.