What's new

Favors Back Next Season?

Morey, West, Riley.

Houston, LA, Miami.
Cool story... Massai did it back in the day when Toronto was not a market that was desirable... it has less to do with the market and more to do with the quality and creativity of the front office. Sign and trades have been less relevant since cap has continually exploded... but they started coming back recently and will be a very viable option going forward.

The best GMs don't work within traditional constraints... they figure **** out.

Cool story... Massai did it back in the day when Toronto was not a market that was desirable... it has less to do with the market and more to do with the quality and creativity of the front office. Sign and trades have been less relevant since cap has continually exploded... but they started coming back recently and will be a very viable option going forward.

The best GMs don't work within traditional constraints... they figure **** out.

Right. All these guys just go to Miami, the LA teams, Houston, and so forth because their GM’s are good.

And what did Masai do that was so amazing? He’s never lured some great free agent. He’s made trades.

Edit: I got unlazy for 30 seconds and read your whole post. Fair but that’s not our FO’s MO.

Right. All these guys just go to Miami, the LA teams, Houston, and so forth because their GM’s are good.

And what did Masai do that was so amazing? He’s never lured some great free agent. He’s made trades.

Edit: I got unlazy for 30 seconds and read your whole post. Fair but that’s not our FO’s MO.

I agree, but it should be our MO. We should figure out how to get **** done. The GMs listed also are among the most active in the trade market. A sign and trade is not some exotic trade mechanism... 2013-2015 they were fairly common.

I agree, but it should be our MO. We should figure out how to get **** done. The GMs listed also are among the most active in the trade market. A sign and trade is not some exotic trade mechanism... 2013-2015 they were fairly common.

Tough in this case when maybe 2-3 teams would have interest in Conley.

Not impossible though.

Tough in this case when maybe 2-3 teams would have interest in Conley.

Not impossible though.

We don't have to move Mike... do a sign and trade with Detroit for Wood... allows us to meet his market price without cap space. Give Detroit draft consideration for playing along.

We don't have to move Mike... do a sign and trade with Detroit for Wood... allows us to meet his market price without cap space. Give Detroit draft consideration for playing along.

Cmon bro. Be better than this. You are.

Why in the hell would Detroit do this?

Cmon bro. Be better than this. You are.

Why in the hell would Detroit do this?
1- Because they may not want to give Wood a long term deal
2- Because they have excess space this year so the filler salary ain't a big deal.
3- They get draft consideration (a 1st likely) instead of watching a guy walk.
4- Wood may not want to stay there... so he might walk and they get nothing. He's unrestricted and they don't even have his bird rights.

I'm done with the convo… if you don't believe it can happen then fine, but it isn't ridiculous.

Lulz. Detroit needs young talent sooooo badly and is gonna ditch the best young talent they have? Maybe franchises have done stupider ****, I don’t know. I just don’t see it happening at all.

Lulz. Detroit needs young talent sooooo badly and is gonna ditch the best young talent they have? Maybe franchises have done stupider ****, I don’t know. I just don’t see it happening at all.
Bruh it ain’t up to them... he’s unrestricted. He says I want to sign somewhere else then they can lose him for nothing or facilitate a deal.

Bruh it ain’t up to them... he’s unrestricted. He says I want to sign somewhere else then they can lose him for nothing or facilitate a deal.

I guess. If I’m them though, I make a Godfather offer. Something like 3/55 with a PO after two years.

Favors was tough as nails and made our 2nd unit hard to beat! I'd love to have him back in a Jazz uniform as he not only knew our system well, he executed it, too!

The difference is, is that some of these GMs wall into the offseason without cap space and make an offer to a guy with cap space they don’t have, then when they agree they start moving the pieces to make it happen. Hell, it happened with Hayward. The problem is that I don’t believe we’re of the mindset that we make an offer for something we don’t have. I suppose you could argue that we did that with Favors, but that didn’t really require us to trade him because we could have waived him. We’re like the guy who won’t buy a new car unless he can pay cash. That’s perfectly fine. But when there’s an interest rate less than inflation, go ahead. Or go into a negotiating and say “this is what I want” and be ready to put it on a credit card if your check bounces.