What's new

Favors on the Block

Things may have changed. I think it used to be that highest bidder got him and the waiving team pays the balance. Could be wrong but I thought you now pay the balance. If you don’t, then you’d do a buyout, but I don’t know if a buyout also means they hit the waiver wire. Things have been too complicated.

The acquirer would need space or an exception to assume his salary... so if waived he will be a FA... no one will pick up that much salary. More likely it would be a buyout though so that Pelicans get some salary relief... I don't see it unless he save them like 3-4M and he should not do that. Take the money and be a FA next year.

Is that how it works? I thought teams bid and whoever was the highest got him.
I think that's the amnesty provision. Traditional waivers require a team to pick up the remaining money on the waived contract, and that's not getting picked up for Favors.

Things may have changed. I think it used to be that highest bidder got him and the waiving team pays the balance. Could be wrong but I thought you now pay the balance. If you don’t, then you’d do a buyout, but I don’t know if a buyout also means they hit the waiver wire. Things have been too complicated.

From what I recall, it has not changed
1) A team announces an intention to waive a player.
2) Teams with cap space may claim the player "off the waiver wire". If more than one does, there is a tie-breaker process.
3) Should no team claim the player, they are waived. The waiving team is responsible for any salary not payed by any future team.
4) The waived player may sign with any team using cap space or any of the usual exceptions for free agents.

From what I recall, it has not changed
1) A team announces an intention to waive a player.
2) Teams with cap space may claim the player "off the waiver wire". If more than one does, there is a tie-breaker process.
3) Should no team claim the player, they are waived. The waiving team is responsible for any salary not payed by any future team.
4) The waived player may sign with any team using cap space or any of the usual exceptions for free agents.
And the tie-breaker is whoever has the worse record at the time.