What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Favors to OKC in works (Update: Traded)

campaignist

I'm surprised that some people are surprised, a Favors salary dump has been the talk for a while now. A salary dump means you give up an asset to get rid of a bad contract - this is pretty standard. We weren't getting anything of value back for him. It really sucks it had to be done, but that's why DL is out.

Someone posted this on Twitter, there are at least half a dozen guys I'd be happy to have at the minimum or slightly more. I'd be on the phone with the agents for Lopez, Theis, and Noel specifically (click on the image to expand):

"

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
I cannot believe we had to give up a first round pick to dump his salary. I really thought we'd be able to do it using 2nd rounders. What a horrible contract DL signed him to last season.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I'm surprised that some people are surprised, a Favors salary dump has been the talk for a while now. A salary dump means you give up an asset to get rid of a bad contract - this is pretty standard. We weren't getting anything of value back for him. It really sucks it had to be done, but that's why DL is out.

Someone posted this on Twitter, there are at least half a dozen guys I'd be happy to have at the minimum or slightly more. I'd be on the phone with the agents for Lopez, Theis, and Noel specifically (click on the image to expand):

"
yeah... none of those guys you mention are getting the minimum. There are some minimum dudes on the list.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I cannot believe we had to give up a first round pick to dump his salary. I really thought we'd be able to do it using 2nd rounders. What a horrible contract DL signed him to last season.
So it was 3/4 of a first. We got a second in the deal. Look at it like the plumlee deal... they had to drop 20 spots to get off that money. We may have given up the 20th or 25th pick for a pick in the 40s... its a little more of a premium than Detroit... but not much.

I do want to see the protections... if its lotto protected then turns into two seconds... perfect. JZ nails it. If it is lotto protected then rolls forward to future years it sucks because it hurts your ability to trade other picks and makes it tough to plan around.

It was the market price... honestly we may have done better than Detroit because Charlotte wanted Plumlee the player... OKC is just taking on salary for picks. Its no fun but its tolerable.

NUMBERICA

Signing Favors to the contract he got last year is an all-time FO blunder. Absolutely unbelievable. Looks like DL paid for it with his job and he should have.

NUMBERICA

Why did we have to make this decision right now? Couldn't we have waited? What happens if Rudy gets a month long injury? Or comes back exhausted from the Olympics?

We save money but we might hurt our "title chances" by not being deep enough.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
What happens if Favors is on the roster and Gobert gets injured is that the Jazz lose a lot of games. The dude could barely handle 15 ****ing minutes, he wasn't saving anything.

campaignist

yeah... none of those guys you mention are getting the minimum. There are some minimum dudes on the list.
hence why I added "or more." I don't think Theis or Noel will get full MLE, Lopez might-honestly I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to split up the MLE for a backup C and a backup wing that are better than minimum dudes. I'm not sure what the market will be. I'm really saying it's not a doomsday scenario, there are options.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
What happens if Favors is on the roster and Gobert gets injured is that the Jazz lose a lot of games. The dude could barely handle 15 ****ing minutes, he wasn't saving anything.
He also wasn't reliable in the playoffs during the clips series. It sucks... it was an overpay... but we got out of it okay depending on pick protections.

We have 3 seconds and a trade exception to work with during the year... we also get to see if Udoka is something. I actually have hope for him. The things he should be good at shouldn't be things that take forever to develop. Be huge at the rim... catch and dunk lobs... try not to **** up the offense too much (Ed Davis style).