What's new

Favors to OKC in works (Update: Traded)

I probably should’ve worded it better. Of course he’s not an “abject failure” by putting together an incredibly successful roster for pretty much the entire time he was here.

I would consider his asset management philosophy and setting the stage to lose Hayward (without adequately replacing him) to be failures. Jingles, Bogie and Royce are all solid wings, but none is dynamic enough to be that 3rd star. The Jazz have needed a dynamic wing for years, and DL failed to really go after one - even though it’s been the team’s top need for years.

I probably should’ve worded it better. Of course he’s not an “abject failure” by putting together an incredibly successful roster for pretty much the entire time he was here.

I would consider his asset management philosophy and setting the stage to lose Hayward (without adequately replacing him) to be failures. Jingles, Bogie and Royce are all solid wings, but none is dynamic enough to be that 3rd star. The Jazz have needed a dynamic wing for years, and DL failed to really go after one - even though it’s been the team’s top need for years.
Or a 4 capable of being a longterm piece. I think that's actually the bigger need because it's consistently been there since Gobert's emergence (7 years and counting).

I think some of us get tired of the incessant negativity at times here.

Sure, he rebuilt the Jazz and helped lead us to the team's best record in more than two decades. But none of that matters, apparently, since he's an "abject failure" for striking out several times (as if striking out isn't part of the nature of the business).
The rebuild didn't really start until Quin gets here in 2014. DL had been in charge since 2012 and the rebuild didn't go anywhere for two years, wasting multiple expirings and picks in the process, including benching Rudy his whole rookie year. DL's biggest success as a GM was hiring Quin

Again, still no info on the protection on that future 1st. There gotta be lottery protection of some sort

We got the 2027 OKC second round pick... we also got $2M in cash from OKC... so Ryan can go ahead and pay some bills and get that new balance beam we need.

Bad news for those that like Larry Nance... the TPE isn't big enough to fit him in. Can't be combined with other salary or exceptions... so that ain't happening.
Should’ve included Matty Ice. Then replace him with Redick.

Bad news for those that like Larry Nance... the TPE isn't big enough to fit him in. Can't be combined with other salary or exceptions... so that ain't happening
I feel awful having Favors traded. Throughout the regular season his minutes playing against starting 5's was praised because it allowed Gobert and Conley to feast against the 2nd unit. I don't know if we get that now...or it could be a rough adjustment.

I feel awful having Favors traded. Throughout the regular season his minutes playing against starting 5's was praised because it allowed Gobert and Conley to feast against the 2nd unit. I don't know if we get that now...or it could be a rough adjustment.
at least he made a lot more money than he would've otherwise.

My biggest problem with it is that we keep pissing away cash and assets instead of consolidating them to go after a big trade for a 3rd star closer to Rudy and Don’s timeline. This roster construction feels like it’s going to crash and burn soon, but they’ll be stuck with it. . . and it keeps getting older.

This is why I really wanted to buy a 2nd last night. The draft was deep. Adding Vrenz would have been awesome.

This is why I really wanted to buy a 2nd last night. The draft was deep. Adding Vrenz would have been awesome.
Agreed. That was the exact scenario I was hoping for. Not sure how much picks were costing late in the round, but with him going undrafted I absolutely would’ve gone after a pick to get him. Start building up some young players and hope they break out.

Good news is JZ got his excuse to cut Matt... just no room on the roster with Butler, Donovan, Joe, Mike, JC taking up minutes.

Matt Thomas' deal isn't guaranteed anyway. I sure as **** would have drafted Petrusev with that #47 pick though. Think he's going to be at least as good as Frank Kaminsky.

Maybe the Jazz have other plans to acquire a skilled 4/5.