What's new

Few notes from last game

eacioban

1. Tibor looks like a good kid and an intelligent player. But, he looks overwhelmed by the speed of the game. I believe he will get much better by the end of this season.

2. Burke really try on defence, although he crashes too easily into picks. On offence, his body control is much better.

3. Booker is a wild card. You know he will bring energy and nastiness, but you don't know how it will translate into defence or offence. His pick setting with his back is funny and can catch opposite players by surprise.

4. Hood plays with the maturity if a 35 years old veteran. He will be a coach when his playing days end.

5. Burks will be our X factor this season. His game changed for the better.

Thanks for the post. I agree that Hood and Burks are going to have great seasons.

1. Tibor looks like a good kid and an intelligent player. But, he looks overwhelmed by the speed of the game. I believe he will get much better by the end of this season.

2. Burke really try on defence, although he crashes too easily into picks. On offence, his body control is much better.

3. Booker is a wild card. You know he will bring energy and nastiness, but you don't know how it will translate into defence or offence. His pick setting with his back is funny and can catch opposite players by surprise.

4. Hood plays with the maturity if a 35 years old veteran. He will be a coach when his playing days end.

5. Burks will be our X factor this season. His game changed for the better.

I agree with Pleiss, but has Withey overtaken him for backup C?

David Locke said Burks' catch-and-shoot 3-pt percentage was the best on the team last year at 41%.

I trust that Snyder will be able to work this into the flow of the offense and give Burks the confidence to shoot that more.

Are you comparing Alec to Dwayne Wade?

Their styles of play? Yes. Both are slashers who get the free throw line often and don't have allot of confidence in their outside shots.
And not only d-wade has that similar style of play. I consider westbrook, monta ellis, and derozan as a few other guys that prefer to drive into the paint rather than take long outside shots.
Anywho, If alec burks and quin snyder are happy with the amount of threes that alec is taking then so am I. Alec has had a very good pre-season so far. If he and quin both think that the offense is better off with Burks attacking the paint, getting to the line and dishing to open teammates rather than shooting threes then im cool with it.

So far so good

Alec Burks' NBA comparison was often Dwayne Wade when coming out of college. He is essentially the opposite skillset as Rodney Hood as far as scoring wings go. If we could take them, hack all their body parts off and combine them together into one human being, that would be really gross.

- Craig

Their styles of play? Yes. Both are slashers who get the free throw line often and don't have allot of confidence in their outside shots.
And not only d-wade has that similar style of play. I consider westbrook, monta ellis, and derozan as a few other guys that prefer to drive into the paint rather than take long outside shots.
Anywho, If alec burks and quin snyder are happy with the amount of threes that alec is taking then so am I. Alec has had a very good pre-season so far. If he and quin both think that the offense is better off with Burks attacking the paint, getting to the line and dishing to open teammates rather than shooting threes then im cool with it.

So far so good

The NBA is changing. You can't have 2-guards that don't stretch the floor with 3-pointers anymore. Suggesting that it's not a problem for our team because Dwayne Wade (a hall of famer) never developed a 3-point shot and Alec has a similar play style is asinine. I love Alec's game, but our team needs to shoot more 3-pointers to open up the floor. Taking more 3-pointers may negatively affect Alec's numbers (debatable), but it most certainly would give Hayward and Favors more room to operate. This is why I'm in favor of starting Rodney, even though Alec is clearly a better overall player right now.

The NBA is changing. You can't have 2-guards that don't stretch the floor with 3-pointers anymore. Suggesting that it's not a problem for our team because Dwayne Wade (a hall of famer) never developed a 3-point shot and Alec has a similar play style is asinine. I love Alec's game, but our team needs to shoot more 3-pointers to open up the floor. Taking more 3-pointers may negatively affect Alec's numbers (debatable), but it most certainly would give Hayward and Favors more room to operate. This is why I'm in favor of starting Rodney, even though Alec is clearly a better overall player right now.
Ya I mostly agree. Though I don't think that every two guard has to be a three point threat. Most of them yes. All of them no.

For this jazz team though I definitely see the need and agree with your point

Unless your name is Dwayne Wade or you play with a starting PF and C who can shoots 3's, you have to be a 3pt threat as a 2 guard.

I trust that Snyder will be able to work this into the flow of the offense and give Burks the confidence to shoot that more.

Not sure what else he has to do.

"Burks you know you shot 41% from the 3pt line when you catch it and shoot it"

"OK coach, but you know I make layups"

"Yeah, but Burks, 41% is really good and it's worth seeing if you can maintain the % with a higher rate of attempts. You know, just shoot it instead of pump fake driving when your man is sagging off"

"Coach, did you see that reverse layup I made though? Boler screamed "Houdini" after I did it"

"Burks, I understand, you were a really big fan of magic growing up and you like it when they call you Magic Man and Houdini, but we need some spacing"

"But Coach I love magic."

"I know Alec, I know." (Hugs Alec as Alec cries. Over Alec's shoulder Snyder eyes Hood, giving him the look that he will soon take the starting job from Burks)

Not sure what else he has to do.

"Burks you know you shot 41% from the 3pt line when you catch it and shoot it"

"OK coach, but you know I make layups"

"Yeah, but Burks, 41% is really good and it's worth seeing if you can maintain the % with a higher rate of attempts. You know, just shoot it instead of pump fake driving when your man is sagging off"

"Coach, did you see that reverse layup I made though? Boler screamed "Houdini" after I did it"

"Burks, I understand, you were a really big fan of magic growing up and you like it when they call you Magic Man and Houdini, but we need some spacing"

"But Coach I love magic."

"I know Alec, I know." (Hugs Alec as Alec cries. Over Alec's shoulder Snyder eyes Hood, giving him the look that he will soon take the starting job from Burks)

not even a little funny

Demar derozan was an all star iirc and he cant and wont shoot the three ball and doesn't have great 3 point shooting bigs.

Demar derozan was an all star iirc and he cant and wont shoot the three ball and doesn't have great 3 point shooting bigs.

Yeah but DeRozan isn't that good.

If Burks is capable of shooting threes at a good percentage and chooses not to, that's not a very smart move. If he wants to be better, he needs to shoot more threes. Pretty simple.