What's new

Flat Earth movement - explain please...

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Total voters
According to the very scientific poll on this website 17.6% of people think the earth is flat, so I think it's about time to take this **** seriously!

You're surprised there are no flat earthers around? It's probably something like 0.0000001% of the population who believes that.

I was more making fun of some of the dumb people we have on this board. But I would guess its not that low but who knows. I know at least 500 people register as members of the flat earth society.

Here is one poll that claims 2% of Americans believe the Earth is flat.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2018/04/02/most-flat-earthers-consider-themselves-religious/

I was more making fun of some of the dumb people we have on this board. But I would guess its not that low but who knows. I know at least 500 people register as members of the flat earth society.

Here is one poll that claims 2% of Americans believe the Earth is flat.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2018/04/02/most-flat-earthers-consider-themselves-religious/

That survey is worth about as much as this one. I haven't ever met anyone who thinks the earth is flat. It's about as uncommon a belief as it gets. I always bring up my coworker who thinks Hillary Clinton sacrifices children in occult rituals that grant her political power. I bet that belief is about as common as flat earth.

That survey is worth about as much as this one. I haven't ever met anyone who thinks the earth is flat. It's about as uncommon a belief as it gets. I always bring up my coworker who thinks Hillary Clinton sacrifices children in occult rituals that grant her political power. I bet that belief is about as common as flat earth.

I have met more than one person who believes the Earth is flat. I must be around more dumb people than you I guess. I also know that a lot of people believe things they think are either kind of dumb or think other people think are dumb so they keep their mouth shut on the issue or lie.

I mostly find it to be a christian thing from people who take the bible literally and think it is "Gods word."

I bet if you could get him drunk at a party, he'd let on he was only saying that to prove you're an idiot. A lot of people like to talk crap. Doesn't mean they believe it. Really.

Nope. You are way off on that one. And I have gotten drunk with him and I sit next to him at work 2 days every week.

The stuff he believes is psychotic.

Dude doesn’t believe in gravity lol

Honestly I am surprised. I would assume we have a few flat Earthers on here, but maybe they are too embarrassed to admit it. Kind of like how no one on this board claimed to vote for Trump for awhile.
I always claimed.
You're surprised there are no flat earthers around? It's probably something like 0.0000001% of the population who believes that.
Yeah, but at least 20% of the population believes that 0.0000001% is more like 35%.

teh stupids are taking overs!

28htyl.jpg

Most flat earthers do not believe in gravity. They call it density.

28hu27.jpg

OK, so I really voted, and you all can see I voted that I believed the earth is flat.

Flatness is defined as zero curvature, it does not imply there is any edge or end of flatness where things can be thrown over the cliff. The existence of a cliff would belie the claim of "flatness".

So the earth has a radius of about 4000 miles. Given that I can only walk about fifty miles uphill in an hour, I choose to walk on flat surfaces where I can cover two hundred and fifty miles an hour on "flat ground". Just kidding, of course. It'd be my scooter that did that, on board a pretty good airplane.

But anyone can see, if they will take a bath and climb the basement stairs and go out on the sidewalk, that "flat" is so descriptive of the earth it makes mountains something special. I highly recommend the exercise to MVP, just so he can appreciate an actually original perspective on things that he doesn't get off a Leftist hack political agenda webz.

The universe has a flatter surface somewhere out there however many gillions of jazillions of light years the Universe Radius may be. A point has zero radius, and infinite curvature.

flat may be considered a equi-gravity plane, or an equi-EMF plane as well. A surface where the forces acting on an object produce no acceleration.

ergo, since I do nothing and don't go anywhere, the earth has got to be flat.

Q. E. D.

OK, so I really voted, and you all can see I voted that I believed the earth is flat.

Flatness is defined as zero curvature, it does not imply there is any edge or end of flatness where things can be thrown over the cliff. The existence of a cliff would belie the claim of "flatness".

The earth, and all things of a basically ovoid shape, has positive curvature.

. I highly recommend the exercise to MVP, just so he can appreciate an actually original perspective on things that he doesn't get off a Leftist hack political agenda webz.

Spoken like a true expert. Not sure how you lumped me with leftists when I am the furthest from the leftist you can ever be.

Spoken like a true expert. Not sure how you lumped me with leftists when I am the furthest from the leftist you can ever be.

Well, you haven't ranted about multiculturalism in a while, so he forgot. :D

Well, you haven't ranted about multiculturalism in a while, so he forgot. :D
Theoretical multiculturalism sounds great. In practice though, you end up with Soviet Union and "some animals are more equal then the others" situation. I think humanity is too early in it's evolution for multiculturalism. It's 21 st century and we still have flat earthers, creationists and other quacks.

Theoretical multiculturalism sounds great. In practice though, you end up with Soviet Union and "some animals are more equal then the others" situation. I think humanity is too early in it's evolution for multiculturalism. It's 21 st century and we still have flat earthers, creationists and other quacks.

I don't agree even one bit. Multiculturalism has been the human default condition since, at least, the agricultural revolution. Current cultural divide is not inherent. Culture is always in flux.

I don't agree even one bit. Multiculturalism has been the human default condition since, at least, the agricultural revolution. Current cultural divide is not inherent. Culture is always in flux.
Ok, so what you are saying humanity is at the peak of its parabola when it comes to multiculturalism. It was default, then it got divided and there is hope it will go back to default state? There is whole new can of worms you are about to open if we will start discussing conditions needed for it to happen...

The earth, and all things of a basically ovoid shape, has positive curvature.

I was assuming all things universally will have a positive curvature because nature is inherently set up to achieve a stable (lowest possible) energy field, and whatever object you can imagine will naturally be as compact as possible. As, for example a piece of paper, after I had scribbled all over it writing some kind of imaginative trash, always turned out to be a compact wad in the trash can.

I thought zero curvature, the absolute mathematical limit of "flat" is an imaginary thing that can never really exist because as big as it is, the Universe cannot be "infinite".

But I digress, of course.

You are mathematically correct.

I am only willing to believe in an approximate "flat earth" that conforms to the actual radius and looks flat to the uncritical eye. Just as I am only willing to believe in an approximate "conservative politics" that conforms to needed change and only looks conservative to the average redneck.

I was assuming all things universally will have a positive curvature because nature is inherently set up to achieve a stable (lowest possible) energy field, and whatever object you can imagine will naturally be as compact as possible. As, for example a piece of paper, after I had scribbled all over it writing some kind of imaginative trash, always turned out to be a compact wad in the trash can.

Toroids, such as doughnuts or cup handles, have negative curvature on the inner surface. Cylinders have zero curvature. Both can show up in nature.