What's new

Following potential 2012 draftees

Dr. Jones

In pursuit of #9
Contributor
I'll use this thread to discuss future potential draft picks (especially, though not exclusively, UK players) as I get a chance to watch and evaluate ('evaluate' used loosely). I realize most don't care until we've actually drafted them, but a few like to follow the potentials, I think.

Tonight was UK's first pre-season game of the year.

Pretty even scoring with 97 points but only one player (Jones) reaching 20+.
- Most impressive was Kidd-Gilchrist. He's a triple-double type player and is perhaps the highest energy guy I've ever seen play the game (no hyperbole). He just does it all. Handling the ball, making the great pass, rebounding, DEFENSE (including blocking shots all over the court), and scoring it. His stat line was not reflective of his impact on the game, but in his 25 minutes he was 9 of 12 shooting for 19pts, 7rbs, 5asts, 1bk.
- Jones is going to kill it this year and move up the mocks with the only thing keeping him from top 5 being lack of true position. He slacked a little compared to a regular season game, but his 26 minutes ended with him shooting 9 of 13 for 22pts, 12rbs, 2 asts.
- Davis looked more raw than I expected him to, even for first actual game .. he did have 6pts, 8rbs, and 8 blocks .. 4 of the 8 blocks were against 3pt shots. Other teams players said, "I thought I was wide open, the guy was 10 or 15' away, then he just leaps, extends, and gets a hand on the shot.."
- Teague looked a little raw as well (Cal's PG's always look this way the first 4 or 5 games before they start to 'get' the pro-style of play. 14pts, 9asts, 2stls (only 2TO's in first game with new teammates .. he can definitely handle the ball and distribute with pinpoint accuracy). Worth watching as a potential long term replacement.

Andre Drummond played first game as well. 10pts, 6rbs, 0bks. Adjustment period for these guys early on, for sure.

UNC's first game;

Harrison Barnes - 2 of 8 from the field (9 of 10 FT's) for 13pts, 4rbs, 1ast
Kendall Marshall - 5pts, 4asts, 3TO's
James McAdoo - 1 o 7 from the field (5 of 6 from the line) for 7pts, 6rbs, 0asts, 0blks
PJ Hairston - 6 of 8 from the field (including 4 of 6 from 3) for 17pts, 2rbs, 1ast

... safe to assume we needn't follow Henson or Zeller as they're obvious PF's.

Baylor's first game;

Perry Jones - 30min, 14pts (5 of 9), 7rbs, 2asts, 1bk
Quincy Miller - 25min, 7pts (1 of 7) 5rbs, 1ast

If the new CBA includes a 2-year college minimum or 20 years old age limit how screwed does that make us for next years draft? I don't follow the prospects this early on all that much and really the only ones I kind of know about are Drummond and Barnes

If the new CBA includes a 2-year college minimum or 20 years old age limit how screwed does that make us for next years draft? I don't follow the prospects this early on all that much and really the only ones I kind of know about are Drummond and Barnes

Pretty screwed, imo. I think we have nice picks in the next draft .. but hopefully not so great picks the year after ..

First game? The college season hasn't started yet. Has it?

Sorry. In post #1 I specifically stated 'pre-season' and assumed everyone would know the other games were pre-season as well. These are no-count games .. but it is slow 'round here ..

UNC's first game;

Harrison Barnes - 2 of 8 from the field (9 of 10 FT's) for 13pts, 4rbs, 1ast
Kendall Marshall - 5pts, 4asts, 3TO's
James McAdoo - 1 o 7 from the field (5 of 6 from the line) for 7pts, 6rbs, 0asts, 0blks
PJ Hairston - 6 of 8 from the field (including 4 of 6 from 3) for 17pts, 2rbs, 1ast

... safe to assume we needn't follow Henson or Zeller as they're obvious PF's.

Glad to see Hairston's numbers. 3pt shooting is the big thing Carolina needs. Whats wrong with more PFs? :)

I'll use this thread to discuss future potential draft picks (especially, though not exclusively, UK players) as I get a chance to watch and evaluate ('evaluate' used loosely). I realize most don't care until we've actually drafted them, but a few like to follow the potentials, I think.

Tonight was UK's first pre-season game of the year.

Pretty even scoring with 97 points but only one player (Jones) reaching 20+.
- Most impressive was Kidd-Gilchrist. He's a triple-double type player and is perhaps the highest energy guy I've ever seen play the game (no hyperbole). He just does it all. Handling the ball, making the great pass, rebounding, DEFENSE (including blocking shots all over the court), and scoring it. His stat line was not reflective of his impact on the game, but in his 25 minutes he was 9 of 12 shooting for 19pts, 7rbs, 5asts, 1bk.
- Jones is going to kill it this year and move up the mocks with the only thing keeping him from top 5 being lack of true position. He slacked a little compared to a regular season game, but his 26 minutes ended with him shooting 9 of 13 for 22pts, 12rbs, 2 asts.
- Davis looked more raw than I expected him to, even for first actual game .. he did have 6pts, 8rbs, and 8 blocks .. 4 of the 8 blocks were against 3pt shots. Other teams players said, "I thought I was wide open, the guy was 10 or 15' away, then he just leaps, extends, and gets a hand on the shot.."
- Teague looked a little raw as well (Cal's PG's always look this way the first 4 or 5 games before they start to 'get' the pro-style of play. 14pts, 9asts, 2stls (only 2TO's in first game with new teammates .. he can definitely handle the ball and distribute with pinpoint accuracy). Worth watching as a potential long term replacement.

This is good info, thanks.

On a side note, and just because I thought it was funny... How does 1 blocked shot = blocking shots all over the court?

This is good info, thanks.

On a side note, and just because I thought it was funny... How does 1 blocked shot = blocking shots all over the court?

I knew someone would ask that, ha. Gilchrist averaged 5.5blks per game against top competition last year and he's getting nearly the same against this year's teammates. Obvioulsy this game was not indicative of that .. love the question though.

Glad to see Hairston's numbers. 3pt shooting is the big thing Carolina needs. Whats wrong with more PFs? :)

Yeah, I think P.J. is going to be good and much needed. The 2G is the obvious weak spot for UNC this year .. if there is a weak spot, at all.

From what little I've seen of Anthony Davis, I'm wondering if he can play SF in the NBA. He looks quick enough, could defend the position and has the face-up skills. He could wreak havoc as an AK47-like defensive player and score from all over the court. His quickness would make him a mismatch at the PF too, but he's just such an open-court player that he might have a greater impact at SF.

From what little I've seen of Anthony Davis, I'm wondering if he can play SF in the NBA. He looks quick enough, could defend the position and has the face-up skills. He could wreak havoc as an AK47-like defensive player and score from all over the court. His quickness would make him a mismatch at the PF too, but he's just such an open-court player that he might have a greater impact at SF.

Calipari has said (privately, no link) that Davis can play SG. That may be a stretch but I think SF is a definite possibility.

According to stories Davis was like 6'3 entering his senior or junior year of HS, then suddenly became 6'11. He could probably play SF.

How much would it suck if the league put an age limit of 20 on next years draft in the CBA?

i-have-this-much-integrity.jpg

polls_negroponteafp_3447_795810_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

spidermanstops-1-1.jpg

For some reason, I think it will happen too. It would be our luck that the two draft we have two picks in the lottery are the worst drafts.