What's new

Following potential 2013 draftees

WCS is a project, but one with a high ceiling. I'd be ecstatic if we could get him and Burke. Both could produce next year (in some capacity) and thus leave us very free to absorb a couple of Tom Gugliottas. If we can s&t Millsap and use that asset to pick up that lanky project in Greece, then grand ****ing slam.

Stein isn't entering the draft this year. Fact.
theoffice-dwight_1255561559.jpg

WCS is a project, but one with a high ceiling. I'd be ecstatic if we could get him and Burke. Both could produce next year (in some capacity) and thus leave us very free to absorb a couple of Tom Gugliottas. If we can s&t Millsap and use that asset to pick up that lanky project in Greece, then grand ****ing slam.

Burke
Burks-Hayward
Carroll-Adetokunbo
Favors
Kanter-WCS

I need to change my pants.

common sense

It's common sense to forfeit millions of guaranteed dollars today at a chance to make a small percentage more tomorrow (which even if they get drafted higher, the chance seems slim that they'd make more money over the life of their rookie deal than the extra million+ they'd make sooner [and not at the forfeit at the tail-end because of the decision]), which is of course subject to injury or if they only play as well or worse?

WCS is drafted in the first round if he declares. A player would be dumb to stay in because life is real.

I haven't mentioned this a lot, but for me, the biggest thing that separates Burke from the field is I see a competitor that wins with heart, guts, and brains. While the Jazz desperately need a PG they can move forward with, they also need a leader. In my mind, Burke could be the piece that ignites all of the potential everyone has blue balls over (even though he might not be the best numbers guy in the pack when it's all said and done).

I haven't mentioned this a lot, but for me, the biggest thing that separates Burke from the field is I see a competitor that wins with heart, guts, and brains. While the Jazz desperately need a PG they can move forward with, they also need a leader. In my mind, Burke could be the piece that ignites all of the potential everyone has blue balls over (even though he might not be the best numbers guy in the pack when it's all said and done).

Agreed. I was just supporting your notion of coming out and being a top 15 pick in a crappy draft rather than hoping to get better and come out the following year in what is a much better draft.

So... you guys don't think Willy will go back to school because you think he'll get worse and have a lower draft pick... but you want to draft him?

Unless the Cats go to the Tourney and WCS shows out, I think he is a late lottery pick to mid-1st rounder.

If he waits to come out next year, he has to show some improvements in FT shooting and basic scoring ability in the paint. He could easily be a top 10 pick because looking at the list of big men projected to come out next year, there isn't anything special.

I've said this before, but if I'm the jazz, I call WCS and guarantee him a first-round selection (a la OKC & Jackson). Pay for his ticket to Santa Barbara and give him a summer of total focus rather than the regular bs of drills and measurements. For a kid that has come outta nowhere, he'd be stupid to pass on that offer.

So... you guys don't think Willy will go back to school because you think he'll get worse and have a lower draft pick... but you want to draft him?

Well the whole allure in drafting freshman is that they have room to grow and improve, if you don't show improvement, that allure goes away. Not saying he won't/can't improve, but if he doesn't, he ceiling in the eyes of scouts goes way down.

I've said this before, but if I'm the jazz, I call WCS and guarantee him a first-round selection (a la OKC & Jackson). Pay for his ticket to Santa Barbara and give him a summer of total focus rather than the regular bs of drills and measurements. For a kid that has come outta nowhere, he'd be stupid to pass on that offer.

A 1st round promise won't do anything for WCS. He is a 1st rounder guaranteed. A lottery promise might do it.