What's new

Following potential 2013 draftees

It's not that simple. They'd be getting >$10 million in cap space, and if they think they can get both Dwight and CP3, then that likely is the difference in getting both or getting neither. Getting some project big from France or some project big from New Zealand hardly looks good in comparison.

Can't they just amnesty Marion then? I don't remember them using that on anyone else yet. So that's $9.3mil gone.

Losing a pick just to save $1.6mil is hardly gonna make a difference in signing Howard.

According to hoopshype.com Chad Ford is reporting that the Mavericks are more then likely to trade the 13th pick to save money for a potential run at Howard.

The Dirk/Howard inside out game would be nasty. Much better than anything he'll ever see in LA anytime soon. I could see why Cuban likes his chances of getting Howard.

Yep, 4ever's right. Heywood was amnestied already. I think it makes sense the Mavs trade the pick. It's not so much about losing a pick to save 1.6 mil. It's about losing a pick to save 1.6 mil + $9,320,000 (Marion's contract).

Mavs are trading the pick to whoever will take Marion.

Yep, 4ever's right. Heywood was amnestied already. I think it makes sense the Mavs trade the pick. It's not so much about losing a pick to save 1.6 mil. It's about losing a pick to save 1.6 mil + $9,320,000 (Marion's contract).

Mavs are trading the pick to whoever will take Marion.

Whoah.. if that's the case then I don't think we're in a bidding war against just Bucks.. it's a bidding war against any team with a cap room wanting an extra pick!

LOL.. this is gonna be fun (read: painful).

Didn't marion say he wouldn't play for any team that wasn't a contender (if he gets traded)?

If so i say just take him, and he can raja bell himself, while we continue with our youngsters as planned.

Didn't marion say he wouldn't play for any team that wasn't a contender (if he gets traded)?

If so i say just take him, and he can raja bell himself, while we continue with our youngsters as planned.

I'm so going to say this to someone.

"Hey, go Raja Bell yourself!"

I really think it's worth it for the Mavs to go all-in on free agency, otherwise they might as well just trade Dirk and get this rebuild started and done right. They've already sacrificed two seasons to get this far, why not go all the way? And what's the cost, a draft pick that probably won't contribute right away and would be even less likely to be a great player?

The question at that point becomes who wants to deal with Dallas and who would Dallas prefer to deal with. If all other things are equal, I trade with Milwaukee if I'm Dallas just because of conference. I can't even wrap my head around what pieces would be in place as sweeteners. Maybe the Jazz send, uhh... a future 2nd rounder? I would guess getting some lesser picks down the line? Jeremy Evans?

I say we get the Mavs pick and commence the SUPER FOREIGN DRAFT OF 2013!!! Schroeder at 13, Karasev at 14, Adetokunbo at 21 and Lauvergne at 46!

I really think it's worth it for the Mavs to go all-in on free agency, otherwise they might as well just trade Dirk and get this rebuild started and done right. They've already sacrificed two seasons to get this far, why not go all the way? And what's the cost, a draft pick that probably won't contribute right away and would be even less likely to be a great player?

The question at that point becomes who wants to deal with Dallas and who would Dallas prefer to deal with. If all other things are equal, I trade with Milwaukee if I'm Dallas just because of conference. I can't even wrap my head around what pieces would be in place as sweeteners. Maybe the Jazz send, uhh... a future 2nd rounder? I would guess getting some lesser picks down the line? Jeremy Evans?

Who would have thunk the Mavs would ****ed us up this way. This is truly depressing.

Bye Bye Schroeder. He's as good as gone.

Jazz have I think around $26+ mil in contracts for next year (Burks, Evans, Marvin, Favors, Kanter, Gordon, Murphy).

Add Marion contract = $36M.
+ Draft picks 13(1.65M), 14(1.57M), 21(1.1M), 46(?) = we'll say 5M = 41M.

That's 12 players already.

The salary floor is around 50M, right? Jazz spend 9M more to reach the salary floor. (sign DMC, maybe another PG (Mo?), + another player?)

Yeah, the Jazz can take Marion.

Jazz have I think around $26+ mil in contracts for next year (Burks, Evans, Marvin, Favors, Kanter, Gordon, Murphy).

Add Marion contract = $36M.
+ Draft picks 13(1.65M), 14(1.57M), 21(1.1M), 46(?) = we'll say 5M = 41M.

That's 12 players already.

The salary floor is around 50M, right? Jazz spend 9M more to reach the salary floor. (sign DMC, maybe another PG (Mo?), + another player?)

Yeah, the Jazz can take Marion.

The Jazz would be stupid to do anything but try to get to the salary floor by acquiring assets from teams looking to get cap relief for one reason or another. Especially if it's a contract that expires after next year.

BTW, AL S/T FOR BEN GORDON AND...???
!!!

I'm starting to drink the Larkin kool aid. Wouldn't mind seeing him at 21 at all, especially if Schroeder/McCollum are off the board. Heck, I probably wouldn't object to taking 2 PGs with both picks either, though I imagine a backup big is needed if both Al/Sap walk.