What's new

Following potential 2015 draftees

Why didn't Frank play more minutes? Why we're his minutes limited?

I think that's the point Locke is making. Frank wasn't playing at such a level that he was forced to play heavy minutes as a freshman or sophomore in college. Then in his junior year he started getting heavy minutes. At that point he had 2 years learning the system and he was one of the older players in the conference.

I'm not saying Locke is right but when your come back is that his PER was good in limited minutes you sound completely defeated IMO.

Would think too that Frank should have been dominating everyone with his age difference.

Would think too that Frank should have been dominating everyone with his age difference.
Exactly. Look at Dekker. He played major minutes and he was a big contributor last year and then built on it this year. Between the two I'd rather have Dekker (although I have a list of 4 it 5 other prospects that I'd rather have ahead of both of them).

This theory that Locke talks about is some of my reasoning for wanting Schoeder instead of Trey (I like Giannis but I had Dennis ahead because we needed a PG, that was dumb of me, trying to push need instead of BPA).

Dennis had elite speed and length for the PG position. I'd rather start with that and work on the other things.

I like Turner now. I think he could be Jermaine O'Neal with a steady 20-ft. jumper. Potential All Star. He's just getting used to his body. If we get him, other teams are going to be right pissed off.

I like Turner now. I think he could be Jermaine O'Neal with a steady 20-ft. jumper. Potential All Star. He's just getting used to his body. If we get him, other teams are going to be right pissed off.

Johnson & Turner are my two favorites in our range. Not sure if either will last until 12 - I think either could go anywhere between 8-11 but not earlier so I'm pulling for one of them!

Nutshell on the Locke podcast:

- Dennis Lindsey apparently said (paraphrase) that the 4-year senior who didn't dominate when he was 18, 19 or 20 is riskier than the 19 year-old elite athlete you don't know much about. Didn't mention Kaminsky by name, specifically.

- Locke points to other examples: Wesley Johnson, Ekpe Udoh, Jimmer Fredette

- Locke says that DL has two of the biggest draft home runs of the past 5 years: Rudy Gobert and Kawhi Leonard. He says the common denominator is elite measurables, athleticism, inner desire to be great and raw/underdeveloped skills. DL sees the Jazz having an advantage in player development. DL's worst pick so far is Trey Burke--college POTY with developed skills, but lacking measurables and athleticism.

This leads me to believe the Jazz will draft someone young, athletic, long and raw, but with strong desire---e.g., Turner, Oubre, Looney, maybe Portis.

David Locke thinks Hollis-Jefferson might also fit the profile.

Locke discounted Oubre in his podcast. Also to fit the mould you need the desire to be GREAT.

I don't see how in the world we get Turner at 12.

I'm more interested in Dennis Lindsey's comments that Locke was passing on, than Locke's own opinions. I still like Oubre personally.

Oubre seems to fit the 'elite measureables' comment but not sure about the 'desire to be GREAT' part. I don't know him personally so I wouldn't know but him being in and out of KU's lineup all year doesn't bode well.

Should link to the DL interview directly then: https://1280thezone.com/index.php/story/read/dj_pk_dennis_lindsey_utah_jazz_general_manager

Parts that are relevant for this discussion seem to be approximately 10:45-16:00

DL also said the following about RISK:

- Risk - many times risk is negative, but many time the right thing to do for your club is to take the riskiest proposal possible

- But Locke said in his podcast that Kaminsky is the RISKIEST DRAFT PICK

SO DOESN'T THIS MEAN DL COULD POTENTIALLY STILL PICK KAMINSKY???????? DIDN'T LOCKE JUST TRY TO PULL A FAST ONE ON US???????

This is a bit old, but have been thinking about it a bit and finally ran the numbers:

A bit was made of Pat Connaughnton's high vertical leap score at the Combine, with some people (me included) having suspicions that he may have held back on the standing reach to make his vertical leap look better (since the latter is calculated based on the former).

Not saying one way or the other whether that was the case, but I was interested to see if others might be put under similar suspicion. So I calculated the ratio of standing reach to wingspan to see if Connaughton's was unusual. (The smaller the number, the greater the suspicion -- though certainly body type plays a huge role -- in any case a low ratio dilutes the value of a large wingspan a bit if both are "true" measures, though this matters more for bigs than smalls).

Connaughton was certainly toward the top of the list with a low reach/wingspan ratio. But he wasn't alone. Here's the top 15 on the list:
1.19 Kelly Oubre
1.20 Brandon Ashley
1.20 Pat Connaughton
1.21 Justin Anderson
1.21 Rondae Hollis Jefferson
1.21 Jordan Mickey
1.22 Chasson Randle
1.22 Stanley Johnson
1.22 Marcus Thorton
1.23 JP Tokoto
1.23 Joseph Young
1.23 Terry Rozier
1.23 Cameron Payne
1.23 Dez Wells
1.23 Andrew Harrison

btw, at the other end of the list is Frank Kaminsky (1.32).

DL also said the following about RISK:

- Risk - many times risk is negative, but many time the right thing to do for your club is to take the riskiest proposal possible

- But Locke said in his podcast that Kaminsky is the RISKIEST DRAFT PICK

SO DOESN'T THIS MEAN DL COULD POTENTIALLY STILL PICK KAMINSKY???????? DIDN'T LOCKE JUST TRY TO PULL A FAST ONE ON US???????

2832655391430821467.jpeg