What's new

Following potential 2015 draftees

DL also said the following about RISK:

- Risk - many times risk is negative, but many time the right thing to do for your club is to take the riskiest proposal possible

- But Locke said in his podcast that Kaminsky is the RISKIEST DRAFT PICK

SO DOESN'T THIS MEAN DL COULD POTENTIALLY STILL PICK KAMINSKY???????? DIDN'T LOCKE JUST TRY TO PULL A FAST ONE ON US???????
Lol

I'm not sure the interview linked with DL have the comments that Locke was referring to.

Irregardless if you follow the logic - Locke just contradicted himself there.

- DL willing to take riskiest route.

- Locke said Kaminsky is riskiest pick

- Therefore it follows logic that DL would be willing to take Kaminsky.

QED

DL also said the following about RISK:

- Risk - many times risk is negative, but many time the right thing to do for your club is to take the riskiest proposal possible

- But Locke said in his podcast that Kaminsky is the RISKIEST DRAFT PICK

SO DOESN'T THIS MEAN DL COULD POTENTIALLY STILL PICK KAMINSKY???????? DIDN'T LOCKE JUST TRY TO PULL A FAST ONE ON US???????
Please stop.

Irregardless if you follow the logic - Locke just contradicted himself there.

- DL willing to take riskiest route.

- Locke said Kaminsky is riskiest pick

- Therefore it follows logic that DL would be willing to take Kaminsky.

QED

Dude, you're mixing up what DL said. The "risk" DL referred to in his podcast referred to young players for whom less information is available. The players with 3 or 4 years worth of track record are the ones that are less risky. DL said that sometimes that sometimes the best option for the organization is to take the 'riskiest' pick.

Dude, you're mixing up what DL said. The "risk" DL referred to in his podcast referred to young players for whom less information is available. The players with 3 or 4 years worth of track record are the ones that are less risky. DL said that sometimes that sometimes the best option for the organization is to take the 'riskiest' pick.

That's not what Locke said though. Locke said Kaminsky is a riskier pick than the guy with 1 year experience.

And Locke made it clear he got that info from DL.

Why didn't Frank play more minutes? Why we're his minutes limited?

I think that's the point Locke is making. Frank wasn't playing at such a level that he was forced to play heavy minutes as a freshman or sophomore in college. Then in his junior year he started getting heavy minutes. At that point he had 2 years learning the system and he was one of the older players in the conference.

I'm not saying Locke is right but when your come back is that his PER was good in limited minutes you sound completely defeated IMO.

Are bigs generally late developers? Yes or No?
Favors didn't have a breakout season until now, his 5th year in the league and at 23 years old.

To continue from my previous post:

In running some more ratios (standing reach/height, wingspan/height), a couple more conclusions:

The only very strong outlier I found was Connaughton's standing reach to height ratio. Makes me think that the gaming-the-measurement/mismeasurement possibility is higher.

The next closest thing to an outlier is Kaminsky's wingspan/height ratio. I suspect this is caused by a skinny frame, long neck, and shortish arms (his standing reach to height ratio was also rather low, though not uniquely so). So it's true that he has short arms for his height, even if his height gives him passable, though not optimal, absolute reaches.

A few players (certainly not all) with very high wingspan/height ratios seem a bit prone to low reach/wingspan ratios for some reason (Oubre, RHJ, Ashley, S. Johnson, J. Anderson). Must be long necks/heads and very broad shoulders. Good for playing wing defense and seeing over the top -- somewhat less desirable for playing interior defense, keeping hands high on shots (both offensively/defensively).

I'm not sure the interview linked with DL have the comments that Locke was referring to.

Pretty sure it was, though if anyone has more info, please let me know. I like Locke, but he has a tendency to read into things (maybe based on other knowledge he has -- or just because it's a pretty common thing to do for most of us).

I think he's just down on the idea of Kaminsky.

EDIT: check the Locked on Jazz timeline: https://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/

Locke heard the DJ & PK interview, wrote some thoughts about it, then elaborated on those thoughts on the air (the podcast that Catchall referred to a couple of pages back).

Last edited:
To continue from my previous post:

In running some more ratios (standing reach/height, wingspan/height), a couple more conclusions:

The only very strong outlier I found was Connaughton's standing reach to height ratio. Makes me think that the gaming-the-measurement/mismeasurement possibility is higher.

The next closest thing to an outlier is Kaminsky's wingspan/height ratio. I suspect this is caused by a skinny frame, long neck, and shortish arms (his standing reach to height ratio was also rather low, though not uniquely so). So it's true that he has short arms for his height, even if his height gives him passable, though not optimal, absolute reaches.

A few players (certainly not all) with very high wingspan/height ratios seem a bit prone to low reach/wingspan ratios for some reason (Oubre, RHJ, Ashley, S. Johnson, J. Anderson). Must be long necks/heads and very broad shoulders. Good for playing wing defense and seeing over the top -- somewhat less desirable for playing interior defense, keeping hands high on shots (both offensively/defensively).

His standing reach is average for a center, it's his weight that is more of a concern to me. At 7'1" and 231 lbs that's a high center of gravity and would get tossed around inside. If he can't make it as a stretch PF, then ya, there is some bust potential.

Pretty sure it was, though if anyone has more info, please let me know. I like Locke, but he has a tendency to read into things (maybe based on other knowledge he has -- or just because it's a pretty common thing to do for most of us).

I think he's just down on the idea of Kaminsky.

EDIT: check the Locked on Jazz timeline: https://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/

Locke heard the DJ & PK interview, wrote some thoughts about it, then elaborated on those thoughts on the air (the podcast that Catchall referred to a couple of pages back).

So is this again a case of Locke reading into something that isn't there?

Ok irregardless of what Locke said...

What do you guys think about the Cody Zeller / Frank Kaminsky comparison?

- Zeller by accounts was hitting 3's after 3's after 3's in workouts impressing CHA

- Zeller was younger

- Zeller was quicker and more athletic

- Similar size/length/etc

- Zeller has had limited success in the NBA thus far

Would Kaminsky be better or worse than Zeller when he enters the NBA?

- Zeller by accounts was hitting 3's after 3's after 3's in workouts impressing CHA

- Zeller was younger

It's a poor one. Kaminsky basically does everything better than Zeller. And Frank was the best player on a final four team. Cody Zeller isn't even the best player in his family.

Last edited:
This is a bit old, but have been thinking about it a bit and finally ran the numbers:

A bit was made of Pat Connaughnton's high vertical leap score at the Combine, with some people (me included) having suspicions that he may have held back on the standing reach to make his vertical leap look better (since the latter is calculated based on the former).

Not saying one way or the other whether that was the case, but I was interested to see if others might be put under similar suspicion. So I calculated the ratio of standing reach to wingspan to see if Connaughton's was unusual. (The smaller the number, the greater the suspicion -- though certainly body type plays a huge role -- in any case a low ratio dilutes the value of a large wingspan a bit if both are "true" measures, though this matters more for bigs than smalls).

Connaughton was certainly toward the top of the list with a low reach/wingspan ratio. But he wasn't alone. Here's the top 15 on the list:
1.19 Kelly Oubre
1.20 Brandon Ashley
1.20 Pat Connaughton
1.21 Justin Anderson
1.21 Rondae Hollis Jefferson
1.21 Jordan Mickey
1.22 Chasson Randle
1.22 Stanley Johnson
1.22 Marcus Thorton
1.23 JP Tokoto
1.23 Joseph Young
1.23 Terry Rozier
1.23 Cameron Payne
1.23 Dez Wells
1.23 Andrew Harrison

btw, at the other end of the list is Frank Kaminsky (1.32).

It might have something to do with their frame. Narrow frame would mean lower wingspan, even if they have long arms(which would measure as short wingspan and long reach).

Because I can't help myself:

I added together wingspan/height and standing reach/height ratios/rankings to come up with an idea of who really has the long arms that may allow them to play above their listed height. (As Jazz4ever notes, this does not address the issue of absolute length -- just who may play taller or shorter than their height based on reach measurements. A player may have adequate total length even with short arms if they're relatively tall for their position.)

On the long arms side of things are players such as: Christmas, Qualls, Alexander, Looney, and de Paula, McCullough, Rozier, Upshaw, Harrell, and RJH.

On the short arms side are: Kaminsky (the shortest in comparison to height by quite a bit, actually), Harvey, Aa. Harrison, Connaughton, Wright, and Dekker.

Out of 63 measured at the combine, on this measurement prospects of particular interest to us ranked:
4 Looney
8 McCullough
14 RJH
16 Wood
17 Payne
18 Turner
23 Russell (Do I have to give up the dream now?)
30 Oubre
36 Johnson
38 J. Anderson
40 Portis
41 Lyles
43 Grant
45 Booker
52 Dekker
63 Kaminsky

From the very top end of the scale to the very bottom (ie Looney vs. Kaminsky) this means about a 7.5" difference for 7-footers in effective arm length or a 6.5" inch difference for 6-footers. The difference between the #20 and #40 ranks are about 1.75" and 1.5" respectively.

It's a poor one. Kaminsky basically does everything better than Zeller. And Frank was the best player on a final four team. Cody Zeller isn't even the best player in his family.

Yeah but Kaminsky is also a full 2 years older entering the draft?

If we're gonna have a fair comparison, then we'd have to compare Cody entering the draft VS Kaminsky 2 years ago. Can you still say that Cody "does everything better"?

- Zeller was younger

I'd expect Kaminsky to be better off the bat. He's clearly more skilled upon leaving college. But you'd also have to believe (simply on age) that Zeller has more room to grow as a player from what they were/are at draft night. That's not to say that Kaminsky couldn't develop more than Zeller does, just that the odds aren't in his favor.

But Zeller has been developing nicely if you look at the stats closer. He may end up as a good player yet (even though he still hasn't made a 3-pointer in either college or pros), though worse than probably expected for a #4 pick. He and Kaminsky are only 6 months apart. I have to imagine that Zeller got by far the better of him when they were both freshmen and sophomores in the Big 10. And Zeller will probably have the advantage in head-to-head NBA matchups in Kaminsky's rookie season. After that, it's where their work ethic and potential takes them.

What do you guys think of timothe luwawu as one of our seconded round picks?? He's got potential and is French so he can be friends with Rudy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Locke doesn't like Frank and it's fairly clear. He made a comment about him during the tournament that was kind of snarky as well. Yet at the end of the podcast he say we might consider trading for old man Channing frye and his 8 Mill per year contract. Says we could trade a second round pick for it. Frye had some rather serious health problems and is right around the area of his career where he's going to take a sharp down turn. It seems really weird that Locke would doubt Frank but want Frye... After all Frye was a 4 year guy... Who wasn't as dominant as Frank was this last year.

I think we are all reading into lockes comments too much. DL also mentioned maybe we don't want any more development projects right now... Frank would be a lot closer to being a contributor than the other players we are considering.