What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

just not a fan of Wilkes. That means we will draft him

He's young and 6'8 with legit ball-skills and a scorers knack! He needs some time, could turn into a starter IMO. He thoroughly outperformed all the scouting services reports/expectations as far as his 3pt shot, I always had a good feeling about Wilkes.

He's got very good balance / body control

Eh, not really. Mitchell shot really well in all his workouts, including Detroit.
Bro, go read about it. It's EXACTLY why they took Kennard. They loved Mitchell and he did great in the workout, but they said they needed a shooter and Kennard was the far superior shooter in college (and still is a better shooter), so they took him.

There's been MULTIPLE articles written about it, here's one that was written before anyone truly knew how bad they ****ed up: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...tons-luke-kennard-donovan-mitchell/428001001/

Drafting a shooter for the sake of drafting a shooter typically backfires. You can develop shooters. You cant develop athletic ability and size.

Guys that 3rd quarter they just played was really really bad... Embarrassing tbh, you dont ever deserve to win a game when you play a quarter that poorly in my book, that looked like a college team laying an egg .. During that train wreck I couldnt help but think they've gotta draft a pure PG or combo guard.

Ideally that guard has a lightning quick first step, can shoot 3's and can finish at the rim -- Anfernee Simons fits the bill so well it seems too good to be true.

Ya know who else does too? Player Ive been sounding the horn on for a while -- ISU's Lindell Wigginton.. And he's damn stong already.

Utah has this great ball movement they need someone who can make defenses pay for sending help on Mitchell. End of Story. The way the rockets are shutting down the offense is the blueprint for how to beat Utah -- this series ultimately will be a valuable one for this team moving forward, many lessons learned

Also couldnt help but think of my old posts about Capela in the draftees thread.. I used to say he reminded me of Serge Ibaka...

Royce O'Neale and Alec Burks hold weight for me, Burks should have a classic contract year bump in play. Ingles and Mitchell are a legit starting set of wings... Im not so sure about drafting a swingmans the right move..

Jalen Brunson would be a nice fit but the jazz need all the help they can muster to beat Houston and GS and Im not gonna sit here and say he's that guy....

Last edited:
The Jazz need another 3-level scorer, plus defender and ball mover, wherever they can get it -- 1 through 5. It just isn't clear who that is at #21 in this draft.

Anfernee Simons does look like a real talent, an explosive athlete and scorer. I worry about his strength and commitment to defense. He looks like he's a year or two away physically.

Bro, go read about it. It's EXACTLY why they took Kennard. They loved Mitchell and he did great in the workout, but they said they needed a shooter and Kennard was the far superior shooter in college (and still is a better shooter), so they took him.

There's been MULTIPLE articles written about it, here's one that was written before anyone truly knew how bad they ****ed up: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...tons-luke-kennard-donovan-mitchell/428001001/

Drafting a shooter for the sake of drafting a shooter typically backfires. You can develop shooters. You cant develop athletic ability and size.

Cool, checking it out.

Last edited:
Utah has this great ball movement they need someone who can make defenses pay for sending help on Mitchell. End of Story. The way the rockets are shutting down the offense is the blueprint for how to beat Utah -- this series ultimately will be a valuable one for this team moving forward, many lessons learned

Is Simmons your #1 guy who fits this mold?

Guys that 3rd quarter they just played was really really bad... Embarrassing tbh, you dont ever deserve to win a game when you play a quarter that poorly in my book, that looked like a college team laying an egg .. During that train wreck I couldnt help but think they've gotta draft a pure PG or combo guard.

Ideally that guard has a lightning quick first step, can shoot 3's and can finish at the rim -- Anfernee Simons fits the bill so well it seems too good to be true.

Ya know who else does too? Player Ive been sounding the horn on for a while -- ISU's Lindell Wigginton.. And he's damn stong already.

Also couldnt help but think of my old posts about Capela in the draftees thread.. I used to say he reminded me of Serge Ibaka...

Royce O'Neale and Alec Burks hold weight for me, Burks should have a classic contract year bump in play. Ingles and Mitchell are a legit starting set of wings... Im not so sure about drafting a swingmans the right move..

Jalen Brunson would be a nice fit but the jazz need all the help they can muster to beat Houston and GS and Im not gonna sit here and say he's that guy....
It sounds like you forgot we have Rubio.

Also Capella is good and not really similar to Ibaka.

Michael Porter Jr. sure would look good in a Jazz uniform. I see no realistic way for this team to hop into the top ten though.

Drafting for need is almost always a terrible strategy. It is rare that a rookie can come in and “fill a need” better than a minimum nba vet with some experience.

I’d love a guy that can shoot but guys need much more... take BPA and in the evaluation place a premium on certain things... don’t want a MKG or Bruce Brown but if there are guys who bring everything else and have a decent foundation for a jumper bring them in and help them improve.

Only 9 days to the draft combine.

Atleast Lindsey wont have to rush his exit interviews to get there.

Didnt realize, but Isaiah Roby has declared for the draft, but didnt hire an agent or get invited to the combine (how?). He would be the 7th forward on by board ahead of Knox.

You think if you make a guy like that a promise to take him late in the second he keeps his name in? Tell him/his agent to look at our track record of development.

we've been saying this ever since ive been at jazzfanz....

The problem is that in the playoffs, by the 2nd or 3rd game, teams know each other really well, and they can take away a team's first, second and even third options on offense. A team's offense gets slowed way down and can grind to a halt. The paint gets crowded. It's just tremendously helpful if your team has a guy with enough size and mobility to just raise up and knock down a mid-range shot without much if any help from the offensive sets. Even if mid-range isn't the most efficient shot to take, being able to get an open 18-foot look and knock it down is a critical option to have, because those are the shots defenses are most willing to give up. Remember, Favors basically won a game over OKC with a late 18-foot J. Mitchell can obviously be that guy if he's confident from mid-range and he isn't burdened by trying to run the offense, but we also use him to break down defenses. Plus, he's not a guy who is just going to shoot over a typical wing-sized defender.

The Jazz were getting stops yesterday. Houston wasn't shooting very well and the Jazz were team rebounding, but they couldn't convert looks on the other end. They struggled at the rim, they struggled from 3, and they had nothing in between. Neto, Exum, Crowder, O'Neale... no one could step in and hit an 18-20 footer. It's a glaring hole in our offense.

The problem is that in the playoffs, by the 2nd or 3rd game, teams know each other really well, and they can take away a team's first, second and even third options on offense. A team's offense gets slowed way down and can grind to a halt. The paint gets crowded. It's just tremendously helpful if your team has a guy with enough size and mobility to just raise up and knock down a mid-range shot without much if any help from the offensive sets.

So Rodney Hood then?

So Rodney Hood then?

If he were more consistent and resilient, then yes. But he's not, so no. He was a guy who (when healthy) could take a dribble or two and raise up over some defenders to shoot from mid-range. He just never became a consistent enough shooter. He's fallen off even worse with Cleveland. Joe Johnson from 5 years ago maybe.

The taller and longer they are, the more they can just shoot over the top of the defense. Not to overstate the obvious, but KD and prime Dirk have been unstoppable due to their size. They can take a mid-range look just about anytime they want. Size matters. Karl Malone's fade-away jumpers were pretty unguardable too.

Last edited: