What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

i guess you could argue that the NBA is moving towards positionless basketball

The adage is that you're the position you can guard. I think the PG/lead guard position still exists. Steph Curry definitely plays that role for the Warriors. Having other people who can handle and initiate makes the offense more versatile for sure. The distinction between positions 2 - 4 is getting blurrier, except that someone among them has to guard bigger players and rebound. The center position still matters, especially on defense. The Warriors were vulnerable to teams like the T'wolves that have a good offensive center. Bringing in Javale McGee did make them a better team.

great article on ESPN on the diffrent roles in the NBA and how positions are becoming fluid. regretfully it is an insider aticle but a good read

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20366855/how-nba-scouts-find-next-crop-elite-role-players-2018-draft

The two-way combo forward

NBA prototypes: Jae Crowder, Marcus Morris, James Johnson, Robert Covington, Wilson Chandler

The 3-and-D wing

NBA prototypes: Danny Green, Wesley Matthews, Kent Bazemore, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Tony Snell

Potential 2018 fits: Mikal Bridges, Rawle Alkins, Jacob Evans, Chandler Hutchison, Vince Edwards

The 3-and-D style off guard

NBA prototypes: Avery Bradley, Langston Galloway, Donovan Mitchell, Ian Clark, Ron Baker

Potential 2018 fits: Bruce Brown, Aaron Holiday, Josh Okogie

The rangy big man

NBA prototypes: Rudy Gobert, Clint Capela, Bismack Biyombo, JaVale McGee

Potential 2018 fits: Mitchell Robinson, Nick Richards, Anas Mahmoud, Donta Hall

The stretch big

NBA prototypes: Patrick Patterson, Ersan Ilyasova, Channing Frye, Marvin Williams

Potential 2018 fits: Moritz Wagner

The old-school big

NBA prototypes: Jonas Valanciunas, Al Jefferson, Ivica Zubac

Potential 2018 fits: Wendell Carter, Jock Landale, Ethan Happ

The energy big

NBA prototypes: Tristan Thompson, Ed Davis, Kenneth Faried, Tarik Black, Mathias Lessort

Potential 2018 fits: Johnathan Williams

The agitator

NBA prototypes: Patrick Beverley, Tony Allen, PJ Tucker, Andre Roberson, Matthew Dellavedova, Marcus Smart, Steven Adams, Zaza Pachulia

Potential 2018 fits: De'Anthony Melton, Abdoulaye N'Doye, Drew Eubanks

The versatile shooter

NBA prototype: Kyle Korver, JJ Redick, Troy Daniels, Eric Gordon

Potential 2018 fits: Grayson Allen, Tyler Hall, DJ Hogg, Svi Mykhailiuk

The bucket-getter

NBA prototypes: Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford, Dion Waiters, Will Barton, Monta Ellis

Potential 2018 fits: Allonzo Trier, Dzanan Musa

Change-of-pace guard

NBA prototypes: Tyler Johnson, Norman Powell

Potential 2018 fits: Andrew Jones, Lamar Peters

The organizer

NBA prototypes: T.J. McConnell, Tim Frazier, Fred VanVleet, Tyler Ulis

Potential 2018 fits: Cassius Winston

The non-PG facilitator

NBA prototypes: Mason Plumlee, Boris Diaw, Dario Saric, Kyle Anderson, Andre Iguodala

Potential 2018 fits: Troy Brown, Isaac Bonga, Theo Pinson

There is a lot more to that article

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-mitchell-robinson-not-expected-to-play-in-college-will-prep-for-2018-nba-draft/

Mitchell Robinson, a five-star prospect and top-10 recruit in the class of 2017, reportedly is not expected to play college basketball in the wake of leaving Western Kentucky in July.

Yahoo Sports reported Tuesday night that Robinson, who was weighing his options to transfer to Kansas or his hometown University of New Orleans, has passed on the UNO scenario (its fall semester already has started) and is preparing to spend the next nine months prepping for the 2018 NBA Draft.

Robinson is projected as the 13th pick in CBS Sports' latest mock draft.
Sponsored by The Salvation Army
Moving? Donate Your Used Goods and Change a Life.
Your used furniture and clothing donations to The Salvation Army change lives. For good. Schedule a pickup today.

Western Kentucky lost out on Robinson after Shammond Williams -- who is Robinson's godfather and a former NBA player who attended North Carolina -- resigned from his assistant coaching post under Rick Stansbury in July. Stansbury initially was able to get Robinson to stay on campus and eventually enroll for summer classes, but in less than two weeks Robinson packed up his belongings and left WKU.

From Yahoo:

One source familiar with Robinson's recruitment said he has not been in contact with Kansas since last Thursday, and another source said New Orleans has been informed that the 7-footer does not plan to join the Privateers and instead will work out in preparation for the draft.

In the aftermath of leaving Western Kentucky, Robinson's NBA potential makes him an unlikely candidate for college basketball. Transfer rules would prevent him, barring an unusual waiver clearance, to be eligible for 2017-18 at a different school since he had enrolled at Western Kentucky. Given that he reportedly is commanding a respectable market value overseas, and is still currently viewed as a clear-cut first-round option come 2018, Robinson as a college player looks less likely by the day. Kansas' fall semester begins Aug. 28.

ok draft friends time to do a little way to early draft predections

1- Give me your top 10
2- Who is going to be the biggest draft riser
3- Sleeper pick (has to be someone that is going to be drafted in the 20th pick or later)
4- Jazz biggest need
5- Best fit for the Jazz based on not in your top 10 and based on #4
6- who is going to win player of the year
7- Who is going to be #1 pick
8- best mid major player
9- where do you think the Jazz will be picking

1- Give me your top 10

Bagley
Porter
Bamba
Ayton
Doncic
Sexton
Williams
Bridges
Jackson
Knox

Aaron holiday I think he will get a lot more playing time and prove he is a good scoring guard and be draft in the late teens

3- Sleeper pick (has to be someone that is going to be drafted in the 20th pick or later)

Deng Adel he is projected all over the place and has a tendency to defer but he can be a very good player

4- Jazz biggest need

Small Forward

Jarred Vanderbilt or Emmanuel Akot Both are good defender who aren.t awful at shooting. Akot being a very good shooter

Landry Shamet

7- Who is going to be the #1 pick

Porter because he is a better fit in the current NBA

8- best mid major player

See #6 Landry Shamet

16 to 20 range

10 - Who is your favorite draft site

NBA draft room has become my new favorite site

1- Give me your top 10
4- Jazz biggest need
8- best mid major player

I'll play.

1. Bagley, Doncic, Porter, Ayton, Bamba, Duval, Bridges, Williams, Carter, Knox/Sexton
2. Hachimura probably will come out of nowhere
3. Don't know the players that well, but Kurucs or Tillie could end up getting drafted in the early 20s and would be high-value picks
4. Scoring and athleticism in the front court
5. Knox or Hachimura
6. Porter Jr.
7. Bagley
8. no clue
9. I think the Jazz will trade one or more players at the deadline in order to get a second pick in the 2018 draft; they'll then try to trade up. I'm hoping they can get in the end of the lottery, but I'm not confident. Their own pick should be in the 15 - 18 range. They should be looking hard at Knox and Hachimura.

1- Give me your top 10
4- Jazz biggest need
8- best mid major player

1. 1-10 your mom
2. your mom
3. your mom
4. your mom
5. your mom
6. your mom
7. your mom
8. your mom
9. your mom

Hachimura is the most overrated player ever. He isnt good. Just because he played well as the only player on Japan's U19 team doesnt mean much.

for those that care there has been some interesting summer trips for some NBA prospects. To start Arizona is in spain and has played 2 games.

First game was a blow out Arizona def. Combinado Valenciano 113-44 and Arizona def. Mataro All-Stars 99-74

couple take aways for me at least

Rawlie Alkins was not that great from 3 only 1-5 his shot looks a little funky. He didnt play in the second game with a shoulder injury i believe.

Alonzo Trier actually reminds me a lot of Alec Burks. Kind of a do it all guard.

DeAndre Ayton wow i was so impressed in game 2. This was a much better team and he was spinning and fading away he was unstoppable.

Emmanuel Akot had me a little worried because he might be buried on a very deep team. He only played a shot time in the second game because of a minor knee strain

Brandon Randolph the transfer from Xavier was very impressive. 6-2 pg but he is not a great facilitator but he has some hops. If he continues to play well he will be in the draft discussion.

Ira Lee didnt play much and just showed his athletiscm.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-mitchell-robinson-not-expected-to-play-in-college-will-prep-for-2018-nba-draft/

Mitchell Robinson, a five-star prospect and top-10 recruit in the class of 2017, reportedly is not expected to play college basketball in the wake of leaving Western Kentucky in July.

Yahoo Sports reported Tuesday night that Robinson, who was weighing his options to transfer to Kansas or his hometown University of New Orleans, has passed on the UNO scenario (its fall semester already has started) and is preparing to spend the next nine months prepping for the 2018 NBA Draft.

Robinson is projected as the 13th pick in CBS Sports' latest mock draft.
Sponsored by The Salvation Army
Moving? Donate Your Used Goods and Change a Life.
Your used furniture and clothing donations to The Salvation Army change lives. For good. Schedule a pickup today.

Western Kentucky lost out on Robinson after Shammond Williams -- who is Robinson's godfather and a former NBA player who attended North Carolina -- resigned from his assistant coaching post under Rick Stansbury in July. Stansbury initially was able to get Robinson to stay on campus and eventually enroll for summer classes, but in less than two weeks Robinson packed up his belongings and left WKU.

From Yahoo:

One source familiar with Robinson's recruitment said he has not been in contact with Kansas since last Thursday, and another source said New Orleans has been informed that the 7-footer does not plan to join the Privateers and instead will work out in preparation for the draft.

In the aftermath of leaving Western Kentucky, Robinson's NBA potential makes him an unlikely candidate for college basketball. Transfer rules would prevent him, barring an unusual waiver clearance, to be eligible for 2017-18 at a different school since he had enrolled at Western Kentucky. Given that he reportedly is commanding a respectable market value overseas, and is still currently viewed as a clear-cut first-round option come 2018, Robinson as a college player looks less likely by the day. Kansas' fall semester begins Aug. 28.

alabama only has 2 players that stood out to me

Collin sexton looks very good but John Petty has been the talk of the summer. Shooting the ball very very well and leading the team in scoring

Last edited: