What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

A little off topic, but i wonder if Staksas performance is due to bouncing from Sacramento to Philly to Brooklyn in 4 seasons.

Is there still potential?

Clears 4M in cap space and takes them from 15 to 19M and makes them a player in FA. They also don’t want to be good this year so DMC is a bet they may not want to be around... they have their own pick so it’s tank szn... I don’t disagree on the other points... it ain’t about players it’s about dollars and they may not do it... I should have said AB for Carroll is more fair... them adding a pick is way too far.

I have been saying this for a while, but I think that Burks still has value to a team willing to play him consistent minutes. He turned some heads with his spark plug performances against Houston. Much like Lyles, you never know how much a player is valued.

Carroll, especially considering his $15.4 million contract next year, is more of a liability than an asset to a team wanting to rebuild like Brooklyn. It's smarter for them to give Burks a go and hope he is something valuable than keep Carroll and stay status quo.

Their pick is a dumb addition if Brooklyn is intent on using it regardless of who is available. It's a wise addition if Brooklyn doesn't have a primary target, wants to save $4 million in space, wants the cash we would add, and thinks Burks might do well with them.

@LoPo heres the thing. The odds the Jazz make 0 draft day trades is like 60% the odds of making one trade is like 39% and the odds of making more than one is about 1%. So I think most people don’t really see the point in discussing dozens of potential trades.

That not to say they aren’t worth talking about a bit. Usually when I read your trade ideas I scroll past say to myself ‘hm, maybe’ or ‘that ain’t happening’ that’s really all a trade idea that has very little chance of actually happening really merits imho. The problem is that you seem to get a bit defensive when your ideas aren’t talked about. And very defensive when they are called out as bad. You post dozens of trades so you have to be ready for that.

I’m not sure if you use Reddit. But they have a bunch of bots that automatically do certain things. When the bot works well people comment ‘good bot’ when it doesn’t they comment ‘bad bot’. But obviously the bot never gets bogged down in petty discussion. They just use the feedback for improvement.

I’m not going to tell you how to spend your time, if you love to do all this work on potential trades then great. But I feel like you’d be better served to make the ‘TradeMachineBot’ account name and just litter the thread with them. People could respond ‘good bot’ if they think the trade is decent or makes sense, or ‘bad bot’ if you are proposing that Burks nets us a higher draft pick and a better player. Or they would say nothing at all. The important thing is that you would never engage in discourse about any of this. You are just a bot here to throw ideas around. You are above such petty discussions.

@LoPo heres the thing. The odds the Jazz make 0 draft day trades is like 60% the odds of making one trade is like 39% and the odds of making more than one is about 1%. So I think most people don’t really see the point in discussing dozens of potential trades.

That not to say they aren’t worth talking about a bit. Usually when I read your trade ideas I scroll past say to myself ‘hm, maybe’ or ‘that ain’t happening’ that’s really all a trade idea that has very little chance of actually happening really merits imho. The problem is that you seem to get a bit defensive when your ideas aren’t talked about. And very defensive when they are called out as bad. You post dozens of trades so you have to be ready for that.

I’m not sure if you use Reddit. But they have a bunch of bots that automatically do certain things. When the bot works well people comment ‘good bot’ when it doesn’t they comment ‘bad bot’. But obviously the bot never gets bogged down in petty discussion. They just use the feedback for improvement.

I’m not going to tell you how to spend your time, if you love to do all this work on potential trades then great. But I feel like you’d be better served to make the ‘TradeMachineBot’ account name and just litter the thread with them. People could respond ‘good bot’ if they think the trade is decent or makes sense, or ‘bad bot’ if you are proposing that Burks nets us a higher draft pick and a better player. Or they would say nothing at all. The important thing is that you would never engage in discourse about any of this. You are just a bot here to throw ideas around. You are above such petty discussions.

Thank you for the feedback. I guess it irritates me that people think that every idea is my only offer and it will definitely work. Rarely, is an initial offer ever taken. The initial offer is the start of a discussion. When you buy a house, you rarely offer asking price and get an acceptance on the first try. It's a compromise. Almost all of my trade ideas are biased in our direction because it's a starting point.

The Carroll idea is the perfect example. Realistically, the final agreed offer is probably #21 and Burks for Carroll, #29 and other considerations. But DL would be dumb not to start off who I did because you just never know where Brooklyn's values lie.

But you are right. Maybe I get too invested. At the end of the day, I just want to win a title.

Why? He has decent size, but he is an average athlete at best. Guys like Vanderbilt are much better prospects. I'd even take Diallo over him.
Good size, length, athleticism, potential as a shooter, all around talent. Vanderbilts shot is broken- ceiling will always be limited. Diallo, is a good risk at the end of the 2nd as well- though i like Bowen's ceiling more. Diallo seems a lot like Burks from a bball iq perspective.

The kid has so much talent. It's obvious even in an empty gym. I think I'd be alright drafting him as a long-term project.

His release point is a bit low, but it's quick and smooth.

Good size, length, athleticism, potential as a shooter, all around talent. Vanderbilts shot is broken- ceiling will always be limited. Diallo, is a good risk at the end of the 2nd as well- though i like Bowen's ceiling more. Diallo seems a lot like Burks from a bball iq perspective.
Yeah, but Vanderbilt is elite at something. I'd take a prospect I know can do a key NBA skill (rebounding) at an elite level over a guy I'm not sure if he has anything approaching a NBA skill.

These pro days are so soft though lol. Really low intensity. But yeah, he does look nice. When he fills out he should be a really strong athlete.
He seems incredibly fluid AND might actually be explosive in addition to being smooth.

He seems incredibly fluid AND might actually be explosive in addition to being smooth.

Oh, he's definitely explosive. The question is how much his frame can fill out and how his game handles NBA physicality. He seems like a "2 years away" kind of prospect. At the very least a full year in the G-League. Maybe if he falls in the 2nd round the Jazz figure a way to trade up for him.

Oh, he's definitely explosive. The question is how much his frame can fill out and how his game handles NBA physicality. He seems like a "2 years away" kind of prospect. At the very least a full year in the G-League. Maybe if he falls in the 2nd round the Jazz figure a way to trade up for him.
Perrin mentioned they might be willing to get a high potential developmental prospect who might spend time in the G-league and we would be looking to develop him to be a contributor in 2-3 years rather than right away. IMO you have to draft him at 21 or thereabout. I doubt he lasts much past that. Too intriguing.

Perrin mentioned they might be willing to get a high potential developmental prospect who might spend time in the G-league and we would be looking to develop him to be a contributor in 2-3 years rather than right away. IMO you have to draft him at 21 or thereabout. I doubt he lasts much past that. Too intriguing.
Who knows. There are enough decent prospects in that 20-30 range teams might not want the huge project and just go for the more known commodities. If you aren't a team with a well integrated G-League system, are you going to draft him?

A majority of teams don't care about the length of the project as long as the project is worth it.