What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Boy's a straight playa...

les-grossman-gif-9.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah, I haven't made too many trade ideas because we simply don't have many expendable, valuable trade assets. Lets look at them:

Burks' expiring - only has positive value for a worthless expiring like Faried or a bad contract like Biyombo, Noah, Gallinari, etc.

Bradley - young big with potential on a super cheap deal.

#21 - not strong, but solid.

Future 1sts - decent value. Doubt we trade an unprotected pick.

#52 or other future 2nd rounders - not very strong. Usually used for other 2nd rounders not to move up or seal a big deal.

Really, that is it around the draft. Rubio, DM, Ingles, Gobert, Crowder, and O'Neale are untouchable.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:

Troy is only 18. He looks like an NBA player. I think he could have a big jump in his skill level the next year or two. His passing, and all around skill level..could make him a offensive creator.

The obvious piece to trade is Thabo. If we offer Thabo, 21 and 52, we should be able to move up a bit, but we'll need to take something back (which we can do if it's 1 year).
If we take back a contract with one year on it, the other team has no incentive to make the deal, unless they really love the 52nd pick.

Cliff would be so good in the nba today... we need the modern day Cliff to play PF for us.
What we need is Keith Van Horn. I remember the rumored Marshall and Russell for KVH deal and hated it then. Thinking back on it, KVH would have been awesome next to John and Karl.

Thought the trade talk about Udoh, Jerebko and Sefolosha was resolved in another thread. They cannot be included in any trades. It was a rule change made in 2017.

This is from the cbafaq. Other sources have explained the same thing.

Note that players with ending contracts (including players whose contracts might end due to an option or ETO) cannot be traded after the trade deadline (players whose contracts are not ending can be traded after the last day of the team's season and before July 1

And they won't be valuable expirings unless a team is looking to get out of a longer-term "bad" contract. Why would the Jazz tie up 2019 cap room just to move up a few spaces, even if they could? Now, I will say that if those players are retained, the expirings (including Burks) could have significant value at the Feb trade deadline.

I don't think Crowder or O'Neale are "untouchable," but I don't see any reasonable draft trade that would make sense. Jazz aren't going to jump into the top-7 with just those two and/or Bradley and the 21st. And I'd rather have them + the 21st over any rookie outside of that range.

Last edited:
What we need is Keith Van Horn. I remember the rumored Marshall and Russell for KVH deal and hated it then. Thinking back on it, KVH would have been awesome next to John and Karl.

KVH is old AF... you are a terrible GM

So Keita Bates-Diop just worked out for the Denver Nuggets this week. I wonder if the Nuggies have a deal to trade back into our range.

KBD also worked out for PHX who has the 16th pick. That's not really unrealistic.

Won't need to trade up. Could trade down to 26 or so and he'll be there.
At this point I want us to trade up for Troy Brown just to see the reactions.

KDB was my guy, and I still thing he’s a great fit. But I feel like there is a decent chance that the first time he shoots a jumpshot in the NBA it will be super obvious that he’ll never be a reliable shooter.

Raul Neto was getting minutes at PG in a playoff game. So...

Jazz are typically looking for:
  1. size & length for position
  2. plus athleticism
  3. defense
  4. shooting
  5. ability to create in the pick-and-roll
If they have size and can play on the wing, that's a real plus. Of course, most teams think this way.

Kevin Huerter checks the boxes more or less.
Troy Brown is good if he'll shoot better.

I have to believe those two guys really stand out for the Jazz at the moment.

I don't think the Jazz are keen on drafting a guy who is 6'3" or less unless he's really awesome.

Under that logic the Jazz could have easily passed on DM last year, because they had Rubio and Exum at PG. DM was a little over 6'1" barefoot. Imagine if they drafted Anunoby instead of Mitchell since
he was 6'7", long and athletic for position, could defend, and shoot some.

Perrin said they do not think of basketball in terms of position, teams are simply putting the best 5 basketball players out there.

Under that logic the Jazz could have easily passed on DM last year, because they had Rubio and Exum at PG. DM was a little over 6'1" barefoot. Imagine if they drafted Anunoby instead of Mitchell since
he was 6'7", long and athletic for position, could defend, and shoot some.

Perrin said they do not think of basketball in terms of position, teams are simply putting the best 5 basketball players out there.
Of course there are always exceptions. But length at the position has generally been what the Jazz look for, even going back to the KOC days. Mitchell, IIRC, has a pretty long wing span for his height.