What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

So at this point, the top 5 picks are still likely to include: Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, Doncic and Jackson Jr.

The next 5 picks are likely to include: Porter Jr., Carter, Young, Mikal Bridges and lets say Miles Bridges for now.

The guys expected to go 11 - 15 would then include: Walker, Sexton, Knox, Williams and SGA (though one of these guys could drop a few spots).

So the next group of guys would be expected to include: Zhaire Smith, Troy Brown Jr., Keita Bates-Diop, Elie Okobo, Kevin Huerter and lets say Chandler Hutchison. I'd say the Jazz are 90% likely to end up with one of theses guys if they stay at #21, or even if they move up a few spots.

Sleeper picks that could sneak into that group would be Melvin Frazier, Dzanan Musa, Anfernee Simons, Jerome Robinson and Mitchell Robinson. I'm not sure about Okogie. I'm doubting it somehow.

I'd be surprised if Donte Divincenzo or Grayson Allen are quite in this last group, but I guess stranger things have happened. I think Landry Shamet, Khyri Thomas, Deanthony Melton and Gary Trent Jr. might also be considered on par with Donte and Grayson, but I'm just speculating. Jacob Evans should be in that next group as well.

I think we see one surprise in the 11-15 group and 16-20 group. Like an Okogie, Bruce Brown, or Alkins jump in there.

The Jazz could include them in a trade that takes back some salary, and the other team could waive one or more of those guys. They'd be pieces used to make a trade work.

Nah it doesn't work that way now... makes me sad. We could guarantee the deals and take back up to $5M more than we sent, but we can't do the unguaranteed trades anymore... why you think we haven't seen 85 LoPo trades everyday.

I think we see one surprise in the 11-15 group and 16-20 group. Like an Okogie, Bruce Brown, or Alkins jump in there.

If I were the Jazz, I'd give Igor one of his pet players and #21 to get their #16. Hoping that one of his pet players is Burks.

At 16, we'd take Zhaire, Brown, Elie or KBD, whichever we have the hots for.

As for a surprise, one surprise that actually wouldn't be a surprise to me would be Gary Trent going in the 18 - 20 range. Other guys who could jump would be Mitchell Robinson (no one knows where he's going) and Anfernee Simons. Chandler Hutchison going in the teens wouldn't be a surprise either.

Yeah, I'm thinking his floor might be the Spurs, but there are so many guys in this range that a guy could easily fall.

Yeah... I wish there were more dumb teams drafting in front of us. I think the Spurs and Hawks both snatch up one of the guys we are targeting. Brown, Okobo, Heurter (KBD?)

The Jazz aren't going to sit at #21 and hope they get lucky that someone they really want falls to them. This is the team that traded from 30 to 28 to get Tony Bradley.

I have a feeling the Jazz might just stay at 21. I get the impression from Walt Perrin that they like multiple players in their range and at least a few of them will end up being available. Maybe they'll move up a few spots if they have a strong preference between a couple of players but I don't expect as big of a trade as last year. You never know with DL though.

Jazz are typically looking for:
  1. size & length for position
  2. plus athleticism
  3. defense
  4. shooting
  5. ability to create in the pick-and-roll
If they have size and can play on the wing, that's a real plus. Of course, most teams think this way.

Kevin Huerter checks the boxes more or less.
Troy Brown is good if he'll shoot better.

I have to believe those two guys really stand out for the Jazz at the moment.

I don't think the Jazz are keen on drafting a guy who is 6'3" or less unless he's really awesome.

Last edited:
Ok I may break my rule this year with our second round pick. I would draft Jarred Vanderbilt in the second and he is "If he can learn to shoot" but in the second round it is worth the gamble.

Ok I may break my rule this year with our second round pick. I would draft Jarred Vanderbilt in the second and he is "If he can learn to shoot" but in the second round it is worth the gamble.

The same "if he can shoot" rule applies to Isaac Bonga.

In case you didn't see this in the other thread...

I think they'll make Frazier try to guard the big to see if he can. They'll see how Simons handles getting bullied by Alkins. Then they'll see if Simons can play at the 1 and see if Okobo can shut down Simons defensively.

If Simons can hold his own in this workout, he's a real candidate for our pick.

Jazz are typically looking for:
  1. size & length for position
  2. plus athleticism
  3. defense
  4. shooting
  5. ability to create in the pick-and-roll
If they have size and can play on the wing, that's a real plus. Of course, most teams think this way.

Incidentally, I think Gary Trent checks these boxes more than he's getting credit for. Obviously the question with him is defense.

I'm really glad they they are getting in Anfernee Simons in for a close look

Y'all think we'd be getting in all these guys for workouts if it weren't for DM45~!