What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

Paul Reed is only 3 months older than Precious Achiuwa, and Reed is better on FG%, assists, steals, blocks and turnovers. Reed is also a 74% FT shooter, while Achiuwa shot 60%, meaning Reed projects as a better shooter.

If the Jazz draft Achiuwa, it sure looks like he'd be functionally very similar to Derrick Favors--a non-shooting defensive big who scores off rolls and putbacks. I get that he guards 3 or 4 positions, but we'd be back where we were with Derrick and we'd be playing Precious mostly as a backup.

Any word on where Poku is thought to be going right now?

To a team that realizes he's not physically ready for the NBA and likely won't be for at least two seasons. A team drafting in the lottery is probably looking for someone to contribute sooner than that. The Celtics could draft him and stash him overseas, but if their Memphis pick moves up to #14 (assuming Memphis misses the playoffs), there are going to be other players on the board to tempt them, including Achiuwa and maybe Williams.

Look for Poku to get picked in the 16-25 range. Dallas could take him at #18 if Williams and Saddiq are already off the board. (Portland could grab Williams or Saddiq at #14 or #15.) Brooklyn could be interested with Philly's pick at #19. However, the Nets have a 2-year window with KD and Kyrie under contract, and it looks like they're going to try to make a consolidation trade. It might depend on what that trade looks like.

Milwaukee could take him with Indiana's pick at #20, although I also see them wanting a player who can contribute right away to help contend and convince Giannis to re-sign in the near-term. They also rely on George Hill and Wes Matthews and they'll be 35 and 34, respectively, next season. I could see them draft a more mature guard, like Bane or Riller.

If the Jazz let the Rockets and Thunder pass them in the standings (which looks likely), the Jazz could get the #21 pick and potentially take Poku or Paul Reed there, imo. Otherwise, Denver has the Rockets' pick and Poku would be on-brand for them (pending who their new GM is).

I have a hard time seeing him get past Boston at #26. Boston has three 1st-round picks right now, and could easily draft him to let him develop overseas.

If the Jazz's pick ends up at #21, it might not take too much to move up to #17 or #19 to grab Poku, if that's the direction the Jazz want to go. No. 17 gets the Jazz ahead of Dallas, and 19 gets them ahead of Milwaukee.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I expected him a lot higher than that, he's a ways off for sure, but he looks like a top ~5 talent in the draft imo (probably the highest ceiling). I guess I'd agree with you that I'd be pretty happy if we had the opportunity to move up a bit to draft him.

Oh wow, I expected him a lot higher than that, he's a ways off for sure, but he looks like a top ~5 talent in the draft imo (probably the highest ceiling). I guess I'd agree with you that I'd be pretty happy if we had the opportunity to move up a bit to draft him.

Maybe he goes lottery. He has that level of talent. It's just that he's not going to be ready to do much until likely his third season. It's a question of whether the GM feels secure enough to take a developmental pick that early. But that said, guys like Brandon Ingram and Jonathan Isaac didn't do much until their third years either. It's just a matter of physical maturity, and Poku is only 18.

Incidentally, I think Pokusevski used to practice a bit with Nigel Williams-Goss on the Olympiacos senior team.

Last edited:
I'd love to know the context behind the attitude concerns teams have with Jaden McDaniels. It's something that always comes up with him but context is never really given. Is it just the technicals? Was he a poor teammate? Uncoachable? Is it off court concerns? Knowing the context is so important to project his future.

If it's just the technicals or issues with teammates then I think that it's something that you can work with him on. If he's not coachable or has a poor work ethic then I probably wouldn't be interested in drafting him if I was a GM because he's a developmental prospect who is going to have to put in a lot of work to eventually get on an NBA floor.

I'd love to know the context behind the attitude concerns teams have with Jaden McDaniels. It's something that always comes up with him but context is never really given. Is it just the technicals? Was he a poor teammate? Uncoachable? Is it off court concerns? Knowing the context is so important to project his future.

If it's just the technicals or issues with teammates then I think that it's something that you can work with him on. If he's not coachable or has a poor work ethic then I probably wouldn't be interested in drafting him if I was a GM because he's a developmental prospect who is going to have to put in a lot of work to eventually get on an NBA floor.

He'll have 6 months off to get ready for the NBA Combine. Let's see if he's worked on his body and his maturity in interviews. He has the physical tools to be Brandon Ingram.

Jaden McDaniels would be a swing for the fences in this draft. he has the potential to be very very good if not great but he needs work to make that happen. If he does wow he has potential

His college coach threw him under the bus. He and another potential first round pick lead his college team to a last place finish in the Pac 12 last season. He was a 5 star recruit and McDonald's all-american and chose UW over Kentucky.

Welp a lot of the second round targets we talked about are going back to school.

Chris Smith is returning to UCLA
John Petty is returning to Alabama
Corey Kispert is returning to Gonzaga
Jared Butler is returning to Baylor

Welp a lot of the second round targets we talked about are going back to school.

Chris Smith is returning to UCLA
John Petty is returning to Alabama
Corey Kispert is returning to Gonzaga
Jared Butler is returning to Baylor

I think Josh Hall and Karim Mane are staying in. They could both go late 2nd round.
Mane could be something like Mudiay with more of a jump shot.
Josh Hall is tough to get a read on due to his level of competition, but I like him more than the lanky kid at LSU.

My big board for the Jazz is simple.

1. Aleksej Pokusevski
2. Precious Achiuwa
3. Paul Reed

Poku is in my top 8. If he's available they should take him and not think twice. The combination of size, age and skill with him is rare. If he turned out being the best player from the class it wouldn't surprise me. Achiuwa is 16 on my board, Reed is 18. There's a chance that Poku is gone and someone higher than Achiuwa or Reed on my board is still available. But Achiuwa/Reed are ideal fits for what this roster needs. And since we are trying to contend I am okay focusing on need over talent. Especially when the talent relative to the pick slot is still good imo.

Two of these guys will likely be gone by the time we pick but I feel pretty good that at least one will be available.

My big board for the Jazz is simple.

1. Aleksej Pokusevski
2. Precious Achiuwa
3. Paul Reed

Poku is in my top 8. If he's available they should take him and not think twice. The combination of size, age and skill with him is rare. If he turned out being the best player from the class it wouldn't surprise me. Achiuwa is 16 on my board, Reed is 18. There's a chance that Poku is gone and someone higher than Achiuwa or Reed on my board is still available. But Achiuwa/Reed are ideal fits for what this roster needs. And since we are trying to contend I am okay focusing on need over talent. Especially when the talent relative to the pick slot is still good imo.

Two of these guys will likely be gone by the time we pick but I feel pretty good that at least one will be available.

I think we might be picking at #20 by the time this Orlando fanfare is over. Even though there is a glaring hole in our frontcourt, I could still see the Jazz draft Josh Green, Theo Maledon or Leandro Bolmaro.

Edit: We might have a shot at #19, if the Sixers win enough of their remaining games. At #19, we'd be looking at guys like Maxey, Hampton, Lewis Jr, Bey and Poku possibly.

Last edited:
Poku would be my favorite in the 1st, but I'd like Josh Green/Paul Reed as well. Could Nesmith drop?

Try to move into the 2nd to get Tillman? I think he could be a really really solid backup big for us.

I also support showing the fans some love buying a late 2nd and seeing if Merrill can get his shot off in the pros.

He's working on it. He shoots it in front of his forehead, but it's becoming a smoother motion than before.

That **** still fuggly man. Like his legs and arms are timed weird and strangely not connected. He just has to get it to a passable percentage, so I guess it could work... He just kinda flings it with the follow through... gonna be some ugly misses with that stroke.