What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

You're a damn fool if you think Dante Exum was a better prospect than RJ Hampton... It's not even remotely close..

Hmmmm Exum went 5th in a loaded draft. Hampton is going to go 20ish in an average draft.
I guess none of the professionals who do it for a living are seeing the light then.

Hmmmm Exum went 5th in a loaded draft. Hampton is going to go 20ish in an average draft.
I guess none of the professionals who do it for a living are seeing the light then.

In retrospect, that 2014 draft wasn't as loaded as it was touted to be. You could argue that Wiggins, Parker and Exum were all busts in the top 5. Aaron Gordon is a decent starter and not much more. Exum had a lot of potential, but he was raw and he just kept getting derailed by season-ending injuries.

Hampton could bust, but his upside is very high.

Jalen Smith is all way up to 14 on nbadraft.net. noooooooo
if true it'll really be hilarious, in similar fashion to what happened with Terry Rozier, that ESPN/DX/Givony projected him outside ofthe top60 while the games were going on and were flat out wrong.

From frontofficicegurus:

"Malachi Flynn is a guy I remain higher on than just about anyone. The 21st overall player on the FOG Big Board in August is a distributor that will surely have a long career handling the rock in the NBA. He’s intelligent, has elite change of pace tendencies and is a knock down shooter. Different than Haliburton, Flynn creates and distributes in the PnR in a near equal fashion making him an all-around threat. A wildly impressive 1.06 PPP while handling the ball in the PnR, placing in the 96th percentile in all of college hoops this season, makes Malachi Flynn perhaps the safest ball handler in the entire draft. 5.1 assists per game with just 1.8 assists on a 27% usage rate and nearly 24 field goals per game shows how leaned upon Flynn was on one of the best teams in the nation, and he still did not make mistakes. Whether it is as a back end starter who can provide stability or as a bench boosting lead guard, Flynn should put up very healthy numbers as a scorer and distributor. His balance and consistency stand out higher than most. There is a lot of higher end Cory Joseph signs here…"

Elijah Hughes and Jaden McDaniels remain the realistic targets that I like the most.

I'm sold Hughes is going to hit. He can shoot with range, create his own shot off the bounce, cut, post up smaller defenders, good finisher at the rim. I think he's going to have some on ball and off ball value offensively. Defense is tougher to judge but his athleticism stands out and his block and steal rates on the bottom of a 2-3 are uncommonly good.

McDaniels comes with a higher risk than Hughes but his ceiling is likely higher. I buy his defense if he can be taught verticality and you can reign in the boneheaded fouls. Offense will require more work. He has baseline skills to work with. He can shoot reasonably well from 3. The form is good. He has a high release point that is tough to defend. He can handle a little and has raw self creation. He needs to get MUCH stronger physically to ever self create in the NBA though. His general offensive feel is poor. He will need multiple years of development. But if you can turn him into a plus defender who can shoot 34/35% from 3 and do a few ancillary things eventually then it's a W. And that's.. possible.

I do think the Jazz likely take a wing or 3/4 type. The other realistic options in those archetypes don't intrigue me as much.

From frontofficicegurus:

"Malachi Flynn is a guy I remain higher on than just about anyone. The 21st overall player on the FOG Big Board in August is a distributor that will surely have a long career handling the rock in the NBA. He’s intelligent, has elite change of pace tendencies and is a knock down shooter. Different than Haliburton, Flynn creates and distributes in the PnR in a near equal fashion making him an all-around threat. A wildly impressive 1.06 PPP while handling the ball in the PnR, placing in the 96th percentile in all of college hoops this season, makes Malachi Flynn perhaps the safest ball handler in the entire draft. 5.1 assists per game with just 1.8 assists on a 27% usage rate and nearly 24 field goals per game shows how leaned upon Flynn was on one of the best teams in the nation, and he still did not make mistakes. Whether it is as a back end starter who can provide stability or as a bench boosting lead guard, Flynn should put up very healthy numbers as a scorer and distributor. His balance and consistency stand out higher than most. There is a lot of higher end Cory Joseph signs here…"
i used to have malachi flynn as the 60th pick in my mocks years ago back when he was at ASU! he was one of my favorite pg's in the nation.

i dont think cory joseph is a proper comp for Flynn though. Cory joseph has massive hands and long arms and hes built for defense. I've always thought he was more like a Shabazz Napier

Elijah Hughes and Jaden McDaniels remain the realistic targets that I like the most.

I'm sold Hughes is going to hit. He can shoot with range, create his own shot off the bounce, cut, post up smaller defenders, good finisher at the rim. I think he's going to have some on ball and off ball value offensively. Defense is tougher to judge but his athleticism stands out and his block and steal rates on the bottom of a 2-3 are uncommonly good.

McDaniels comes with a higher risk than Hughes but his ceiling is likely higher. I buy his defense if he can be taught verticality and you can reign in the boneheaded fouls. Offense will require more work. He has baseline skills to work with. He can shoot reasonably well from 3. The form is good. He has a high release point that is tough to defend. He can handle a little and has raw self creation. He needs to get MUCH stronger physically to ever self create in the NBA though. His general offensive feel is poor. He will need multiple years of development. But if you can turn him into a plus defender who can shoot 34/35% from 3 and do a few ancillary things eventually then it's a W. And that's.. possible.

I do think the Jazz likely take a wing or 3/4 type. The other realistic options in those archetypes don't intrigue me as much.
Hughes is a guy I think I may move into my top 30 the next time I do a top 30.

He's a Syracuse player though, so I don't think you can glean too much from his defensive stats.

RJ seems to have a much more athletic frame than Dante... Dante's body filled out so weird and his movements were never super fluid/natural.

The Dante experience was so weird... I'm so glad its over. Wish the guy well and hope he finds success.

RJ seems to have a much more athletic frame than Dante... Dante's body filled out so weird and his movements were never super fluid/natural.

The Dante experience was so weird... I'm so glad its over. Wish the guy well and hope he finds success.
He's definitely more explosive. Dante had a much better frame though.

Combine News

NBA Draft Combine 2020 will give players the opportunity to participate in league and team interviews, both conducted via videoconference from Sept. 28 thru Oct. 16.

Players will also take part in an individual on-court program consisting of strength and agility testing, anthropometric measurements, shooting drills and a “Pro Day” video, all conducted in October at the NBA team facility nearest to a player’s home or interim residence. Medical testing and examinations will be performed by NBA-affiliated physicians in the same market

What I like about RJ is he seems confident in himself and he is willing to work. I would certainly pick him at 23 but I do not think he will be there. I wish we had won the coin toss. Dante always seemed to get down on himself and lacked confidence. Perhaps it was the injuries but it was the thing I disliked about him He didn't have that Mamba mentality. Now I don't know if RJ has it either but what I have read is he works really hard. He is young too and may still grow a little.