What's new

Free Agent Rumors Thread

We still need a SF. Hood is our "only" SF. Hayward is better at the 2.
With Burke, Burks and Exum at the 1/2, and Hood the only real 3 on the roster, Gordo's going to get most of his minutes at the 3.

Would love to see Malcolm Thomas make the team, but with all the 4s on the team that only works if he can play his minutes at the 3. Jazz need some size/physicality/nasty on the wing, so maybe Thomas is the guy. His shot looks pretty good when his feet are set and he has space/time.

If the FO doesn't think Thomas fills the physical/defensive 3 spot role, I'd guess they look elsewhere. The Jazz will need a 1 behind Burke and Exum; not sure if it'll be JLIII, Clark or someone else.

We still need a SF. Hood is our "only" SF. Hayward is better at the 2.

I don't necessarily disagree, but my gut feeling tells me that they'll look to fill that spot next year if the Hayward, Burks and Burke/Exum lineup doesn't perform up to their expectations. Love Hood, but I wouldn't put him in the starting lineup just because of his position.

I'm still rooting for a variety of starting lineup combinations and minutes distribution this year that include all of Favors, Kanter, Gobert, Hayward, Hood, Burks, Burke and Exum. Booker, Novak and Evans can all get minutes off the bench and in case of injuries.

With Burke, Burks and Exum at the 1/2, and Hood the only real 3 on the roster, Gordo's going to get most of his minutes at the 3.

Would love to see Malcolm Thomas make the team, but with all the 4s on the team that only works if he can play his minutes at the 3. Jazz need some size/physicality/nasty on the wing, so maybe Thomas is the guy. His shot looks pretty good when his feet are set and he has space/time.

If the FO doesn't think Thomas fills the physical/defensive 3 spot role, I'd guess they look elsewhere. The Jazz will need a 1 behind Burke and Exum; not sure if it'll be JLIII, Clark or someone else.
Any chance that the new coaching staff views Evans as a wing instead of post player? IMO, he's too skinny to defensively much up against most power forwards. Maybe against stretch 4's, but even that's dicey sometimes. I could see him or Novak get some minutes at the backup 3 behind Hayward and Hood. His outside shot looked improved last year in limited minutes, but can he do it consistently?

For the most part, I would like for us to roll with the current young squad. I'd say that we give Malcolm Thomas a camp invite and bring in a couple of the other summer league standouts (from other teams). I know that someone mentioned Seth Curry; we could definitely use more shooting help.

I think hayward will thrive at the three

Yep, now that Jazz have cleared Richard Jefferson out of the way Hayward should finally get a chance to thrive at he three.
(That was sarcasm)

Now that he is getting paid the max he sure should play better.
(That too)

I know he had some moments, but I don't think he has shown he can play consistent quality minutes at the three.

He played 595 minutes as a sf, when he played with Diante, Alec, Jeremy and Enes for 132 minutes the jazz were +8.

On the other hand when he played sf with Trey, Alec, Marvin and Enes the jazz were -36 in about 59 minutes.

In all he only played sf for about 550 minutes out of 3,900 possible minutes or out of 2,800 actual minutes he played.

I could see Hood starting because I think his game would complement well. We also need shooters. With Novak coming off the bench, we could have a shooter on the floor for at least 30 minutes per game. When was the last time we had that?

Rumors about the Jazz keep mentioning a 3rd PG that isn't JL3 and other rumors keep mentioning Francisco Garcia.

Isn't Garcia a 3?

For good or bad, we are starting to get set at positions for the next 2-4 years

Burke/Exum
Hayward/Burks
????/Hood
Kanter/Booker
Favors/Gobert

Everyone else is irrelevant. Burks and Kanter may or may not be here after this year, and frankly I don't care, because that group might not even be good enough to make the playoffs. We at least need another Boozer (when he signed with us) level player and we need Exum to go Deron on us and vie for best at his position for us to have an outside shot at home court.

Kind of depressing.

Anyways, another point from my last post is we are disgustingly thin at the three.

Burks = below average starting SG
Burks = above average backup SG
Hayward = below average starting SF
Hayward = above average starting SG

If you want another top 5 pick, start Hayward and Burks together. If you want to progress this young core, you need a starting SF.

Yep, now that Jazz have cleared Richard Jefferson out of the way Hayward should finally get a chance to thrive at he three.
(That was sarcasm)

Now that he is getting paid the max he sure should play better.
(That too)

I know he had some moments, but I don't think he has shown he can play consistent quality minutes at the three.

He played 595 minutes as a sf, when he played with Diante, Alec, Jeremy and Enes for 132 minutes the jazz were +8.

On the other hand when he played sf with Trey, Alec, Marvin and Enes the jazz were -36 in about 59 minutes.

In all he only played sf for about 550 minutes out of 3,900 possible minutes or out of 2,800 actual minutes he played.
...and last year was not his best year, by a long shot. Could that be evidence that he plays WORSE as a SG? I'm kind of thinking, yes.

Anyways, another point from my last post is we are disgustingly thin at the three.

Burks = below average starting SG
Burks = above average backup SG
Hayward = below average starting SF
Hayward = above average starting SG

If you want another top 5 pick, start Hayward and Burks together. If you want to progress this young core, you need a starting SF.

rofl. green being green.

I've said this since the draft, this would be an amazing lineup (if Burke accepts the backup PG role and doesn't pout):

Exum
Hayward/Burks
Hood
Kanter
Favors/Gobert

Long at every position. Shooters at every position except PG and C (which is really ideal). Two/three ball handlers. Defensively imposing with Exum at the point setting the tone.

I've said this since the draft, this would be an amazing lineup (if Burke accepts the backup PG role and doesn't pout):

Exum
Hayward/Burks
Hood
Kanter
Favors/Gobert

Long at every position. Shooters at every position except PG and C (which is really ideal). Two/three ball handlers. Defensively imposing with Exum at the point setting the tone.

Just like last year, that starting lineup would struggle to score consistently. There would be lots of early holes to dig out of.

I hope Quin is smart and puts Burks in the starting lineup. We have enough depth now that we can afford to do this.

Gimme:
Exum
Burks
Hayward
Kanter
Favors

Let Exum and Burks carve things up.

(And if you counter this post with a claim that Hood is a better scorer than Alec, then LOL GUIS. LOL)

Wasn't Burks' PER 15.8 last year? Isn't 15 average? So, against backups, he was slightly better than average? And yet, make him a starter, and he is going to suddenly blow up?

Yeah. Not buying it.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];876641 said:
Just like last year, that starting lineup would struggle to score consistently. There would be lots of early holes to dig out of.

I hope Quin is smart and puts Burks in the starting lineup. We have enough depth now that we can afford to do this.

Gimme:
Exum
Burks
Hayward
Kanter
Favors

Let Exum and Burks carve things up.

(And if you counter this post with a claim that Hood is a better scorer than Alec, then LOL GUIS. LOL)
Just not enough 3pt shooting to space the floor for Quin's offense, tbh. Exum cant shooะ it. Burks and Hayward are inconsistent. Too easy for opponent to clog the lane.

Also who's gonna be your scoring 6th man?

...and last year was not his best year, by a long shot. Could that be evidence that he plays WORSE as a SG? I'm kind of thinking, yes.

I hadn't considered that, it seems plausible. 2 yrs ago Hayward played only 2100 minutes, but played about the same number (550) or a little more as a sf. So he did play sf more often.

Dang, something else I want to watch and have to wait for. Is it October yet?

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];876725 said:
So, Hood is more consistent than Burks in a real NBA game?? Incredible.

We'll have to wait and see, as of now I think Hood has a more consistent 3pt stroke than Burks. Coming out of college Hood certainly has a much better 3pt percentage - there's nothing incredible about it, it's just fact.