What's new

Game 28: The Jazz visit Atlanta December 19, 2019 5:30pm mtn

I'm either blind or the that particular locked on Jazz isn't there. His body language and engagement is good, but you can see in his eyes that he's unhappy with the situation.

That's not fair, all Aussies look dead in the eyes. They have no souls!

I must be the only on that thinks mudiay is also a significant part of bench problem. I was very excited about his signing as a highly athletic, bigger, reclamation project. And he has shown some good play. However he isn’t good at playing the team game at all.
No doubt Davis and niang aren’t very good. But mudiay’s contributions are almost exclusively single handed. He does nothing for team impact, and I think it is even negative impact on the team Dynamic.
It’s even evident when he’s with starters. When Blender and quick passing is going on, and when he gets ball, he holds it long enough to look for his shot and then the defense recovers. Then it is passed back out front for a half-hearted PNR by someone else.

contrast this with Neto. He is less of the athlete Mudiay is, but he would break down the defense, then pass, which would lead to pass and then some open shot option for a bench player like niang.

how much “team offense” do you see when mudiay is in?
niang is currently dribbling around and backing people down and that is the essence of “no offense”

BTW, I felt this the few times this season when exum was responsible for leading the offense... (not when he was tasked to stand in corner). But exum was taking it to the hole regardless and not really getting any offense initiated.

I must be the only on that thinks mudiay is also a significant part of bench problem. I was very excited about his signing as a highly athletic, bigger, reclamation project. And he has shown some good play. However he isn’t good at playing the team game at all.
No doubt Davis and niang aren’t very good. But mudiay’s contributions are almost exclusively single handed. He does nothing for team impact, and I think it is even negative impact on the team Dynamic.
It’s even evident when he’s with starters. When Blender and quick passing is going on, and when he gets ball, he holds it long enough to look for his shot and then the defense recovers. Then it is passed back out front for a half-hearted PNR by someone else.

contrast this with Neto. He is less of the athlete Mudiay is, but he would break down the defense, then pass, which would lead to pass and then some open shot option for a bench player like niang.

niang is currently dribbling around and backing people down and that is the essence of “no offense”

BTW, I felt this the few times this season when exum was responsible for leading the offense... (not when he was tasked to stand in corner). But exum was taking it to the hole regardless and not really getting any offense initiated.

Think a few of us feel that way, the ball does stick with him. You are not alone.

So what did Ingles accomplish with the same lineup that Mudiay currently has to play with? Ingles was down right terrible and non existent. You all expect Mudiay to do something that even Ingles couldn't. Make Jeff Green, Niang, and Ed Davis scorers and viable bench options. Somehow that's Mudiays fault. The only bench consistently doing something.

So what did Ingles accomplish with the same lineup that Mudiay currently has to play with? Ingles was down right terrible and non existent. You all expect Mudiay to do something that even Ingles couldn't. Make Jeff Green, Niang, and Ed Davis scorers and viable bench options. Somehow that's Mudiays fault.

I think Mudiay was part of joe's problem, movement seems to stop when he's on the floor and we start playing iso garbage.

I think Mudiay was part of joe's problem, movement seems to stop when he's on the floor and we start playing iso garbage.
What do you suppose we play? Pick n roll with Ed Davis? Blender with 3 guys who can't create a single consistent shot? Who outside if Mudiay is going to be a consistent scorer?

I think Mudiay playing iso is encouraged as nobody else is going to hit anything outside of hit a few threes. You guys make it seem like Niang and Ed Davis can magically dribble drive or cut to the basket. The scoring is on Mudiay. Does he forced it at times? Yes. But who else is going to take the shot?

Ingles is playing better because he's playing with guys who can cut, pick and roll, get him open shots, take the pressure off. To blame that on Mudiay is wrong imo.

Mudiay hasn’t gone into iso mode nearly as much and is creating for others... didn’t get assists last night because he set guys up that got fouled. He’s played the right way for the most part and has made some strides in how he plays. He’s been good defensively. On the nights he shoots well he gives us a boost... when he doesn’t I don’t think he hurts us like Jeff and Niang do.

Until something gets changed with the bench rotation nothing is going to look good. And the answer is definitely NOT putting Joe back in the sixth man role.

Mudiay hasn’t gone into iso mode nearly as much and is creating for others... didn’t get assists last night because he set guys up that got fouled. He’s played the right way for the most part and has made some strides in how he plays. He’s been good defensively. On the nights he shoots well he gives us a boost... when he doesn’t I don’t think he hurts us like Jeff and Niang do.
He even got Ed Davis a wide open easy dunk last night but they fouled mudiay as he was making the pass so the dunk and the assist didn't count.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I mean Mudiay does have an advantage in that he is the only Jazz point guard in the last decade that doesn't have the hamstring of a 50 year old heavyset woman. So there's that. . .

Sad that Rudy is the only player in a good place in both metrics.

If Joe would’ve been starting earlier this year, he would be as well. Playing with Davis and Mudiay murdered him.

By the way, it can simultaneously true the Mudiay isn’t a very good point guard who shoots bad shots and that his skill set works in the second unit. That’s kind of the point of microwave scorers.

Sad that Rudy is the only player in a good place in both metrics.

I was thinking the same thing. I was surprised Donovan and Bogey have been that bad defensively, apparently Bogey's been the worst defender on the whole team.

If Joe would’ve been starting earlier this year, he would be as well. Playing with Davis and Mudiay murdered him.

By the way, it can simultaneously true the Mudiay isn’t a very good point guard who shoots bad shots and that his skill set works in the second unit. That’s kind of the point of microwave scorers.

I've seen a noticeable change in the way Mudiay is playing. I think he could be a part of the solution. He can break the paint almost whenever he wants and he's big... now that he has started passing a lot more that penetration is a bigger asset. His basketball programming likely reverts back to shooting more, but you can see genuine effort.

The problem to me is at a minimum two parts of that unit should be swapped out... Ed gives us nothing on offense and allows the defense to play with their center in the middle of the court to disrupt the offense. Bradley or someone we acquire would be better. The other part is Niang or Green... pick one. If one is guarding perimeter guys the defense is compromised... Green is streaky and currently around 33% on threes... he can give you more but most nights won't. Niang tries but can't give you more but is a more consistent shooter. I think together those two guys are too soft and not good enough rebounders... pick one and replace the other.

Mostly... I'd just like us to fail differently... we keep the same mix and it ain't working. If we were to try Exum in for Niang or Green... maybe Brantley... maybe Niang and Green are okay if you have Bradley and the offense doesn't stall out... its okay to keep failing... if you fail differently. The "this is fine" approach hasn't been successful... shocking.

I was thinking the same thing. I was surprised Donovan and Bogey have been that bad defensively, apparently Bogey's been the worst defender on the whole team.
Bogey being horrible defensively agrees with what my eyes have seen.
I thought Donovan has been good there though so I am surprised by that.

Rudy is a force

DM comes and goes on the defensive end and its understandable. Bojan has had some bad moments. It makes sense... I would not say Bojan is the worst defender on the team... I think that honor goes to Niang or Green.