What's new

Game 3: His name is Jonas -- Thunder @ Jazz 4/21/2018 8:00 pm MST

Crowder is doing more on the defensive end in this series than he's getting credit for, IMO.
This. On the offensive end Crowder looks lost like this is his first few games with the Jazz and Hood could, if healthy, do more than this Crowder, especially by being an outlet for Exum. We wouldn't worry about our bench scoring as much. But Crowder defensively is very versatile, he switches a lot and does a decent job of rotating, closing out on 3pters. He isn't the lockdown defender people talk about I but he is a very good team defender.

P.S I understand why we had to move Hood and that it was a good deal.

Hood played about 1/8th of his total minutes with Gobert this season while on Utah. That's a big part of why he looked really bad on defense this year. He played more minutes with Joe Johnson this year than Rudy Gobert. Even Rubio, who now looks great defensively, looked bad on that end when Gobert went down.

I'm not trying to make an argument that Hood is actually a good defender, I dont think he is. I think he is incredibly average on that end, just like Crowder. Crowder just had the benefit of playing 63% of his minutes with Gobert this year.

It sucks the relationship with Hood soured to the point where he didnt want to make it workout in a 6th man role. Hood would undoubtedly be the better long-term fit and it really looks like he isnt going to get paid much of anything above 8 million a year. Even if we didnt want to sign Hood long-term, even to a reasonable deal like 8 million a year (which would be understandable with how wonky his injury history is), I think at this point I'd rather just let Hood walk than have Jae's contract on the books.

There is little doubt in my mind that O'Neale will be a better player next year. Hopefully someone still values Jae enough to where we can deal him for a 2nd round pick or something.

i think crowder will pick it up. He's going to get some 3s to go down, game 1 he had some seriously awful shot attempts.

i think crowder will pick it up. He's going to get some 3s to go down, game 1 he had some seriously awful shot attempts.
I hope so. The dude just creates 0 separation and even when he is open it feels like he is covered. He shot a fade-away corner 3 last game even though no one was that close to him because he was scared of a closeout that really wasnt that close to him.

Hood took 3 more shots per game than Crowder, a decent amount more, but not a ton. Crowder throws off our offense much worse by just not being good at offense at all.

Again, y'all can be in your emotions over Hood not being as tough or disappointing your unreasonable expectations for him, but he is in no way worse than Crowder (other than staying healthy).
Yeah OK, hood is much more lazy on defense and doesn't have the passion and hustle like Crowder. Look at Hoods impact on the cavs? Oh yeah he is the still diaper wearing Rodney

Sent from my ASUS_X018D using JazzFanz mobile app

It sucks the relationship with Hood soured to the point where he didnt want to make it workout in a 6th man role. Hood would undoubtedly be the better long-term fit and it really looks like he isnt going to get paid much of anything above 8 million a year. Even if we didnt want to sign Hood long-term, even to a reasonable deal like 8 million a year (which would be understandable with how wonky his injury history is)

You're an absolute moron if you think that Hood would've been had for 8 million a year if he finished his year off with Utah

He was sent cuz he was a bish, and because he was a worse player than Donovan at a position of strength, and a formidable 3/4 was needed. Crowder's been fine-- and (if for no other reason) he is 100% the badass grit/enforcer on our team. He stands up to everyone, always the first in a scrum, always vocal with encouraging the youngins (Crowder told Quin to keep Donovan in the game in game 1, always tells him to keep shooting, etc.) Him and Jingles are a great duo

You're an absolute moron if you think that Hood would've been had for 8 million a year if he finished his year off with Utah
Then someone else would overpay him and that would benefit Utah. Like I said, I'd rather just not have Jae's contract on the books.

Hood played about 1/8th of his total minutes with Gobert this season while on Utah. That's a big part of why he looked really bad on defense this year. He played more minutes with Joe Johnson this year than Rudy Gobert. Even Rubio, who now looks great defensively, looked bad on that end when Gobert went down.

I'm not trying to make an argument that Hood is actually a good defender, I dont think he is. I think he is incredibly average on that end, just like Crowder. Crowder just had the benefit of playing 63% of his minutes with Gobert this year.

It sucks the relationship with Hood soured to the point where he didnt want to make it workout in a 6th man role. Hood would undoubtedly be the better long-term fit and it really looks like he isnt going to get paid much of anything above 8 million a year. Even if we didnt want to sign Hood long-term, even to a reasonable deal like 8 million a year (which would be understandable with how wonky his injury history is), I think at this point I'd rather just let Hood walk than have Jae's contract on the books.

There is little doubt in my mind that O'Neale will be a better player next year. Hopefully someone still values Jae enough to where we can deal him for a 2nd round pick or something.
Undoubtedly? You mean the most inconsistent player on the team that stuck out like a sore thumb because he's the softest player the Jazz have had since AK?

Doubtedly. Extremely doubtedly. Hood made this team worse, and he was a ****ing baby.

One of the things that makes this team unique - and I mean literally without peer - is that every single rotation player is better than average defensively. There is not weak-point to exploit.

Hood would have been that weak point every time he stepped on the floor. The likelihood that he would be zeroed out or made a net-negative in the playoffs - particularly on this team - would've been quite high. I'm happy to not have to worry about that, let alone his sulking and ****-talking of better players, better team guys, and more likable people.

Game 3 notes:

One of the better team performances of the year with everyone contributing.
We really are polar opposite to OKC, a star individuals v a team who knows and plays their roles. We are really in their heads atm and have them playing "my turn, your turn" basketball.

Rubio was exceptional!! Has had the better of the reigning MVP the last 2 matches and played like an All NBA PG.

Rudy, Favs, DM, Oneal were great, Exum looked good and is really getting into Felton.

Ingles was back to being aggressive and having confidence in his shot. I expect more open looks for him as OKC zero in on Spida and Rubio.

Crowd looked and sounded incredible!!! Damn its a good time to be apart of #JazzNation.

Only criticism is that we need to make our FTs... Its hard to win playoff games with poor FT shooting.

#2-1.
#OnToTheNext
#ProtectHomeCourt

Crowder's defense has been pretty good the last 2 games. The adjustment to him playing more 3 and less 4 has been critical.
Yeah, it is not the defence we complain about. It is his boneheaded plays and 3 pt shots of the dribble early in the shot clock which he never makes.

Yeah, it is not the defence we complain about. It is his boneheaded plays and 3 pt shots of the dribble early in the shot clock which he never makes.
The guy I was arguing with was complaining about his defense. And regardless of how many boneheaded plays he makes, it seems far less detrimental to the team than Hood was on both ends of the floor.

Then someone else would overpay him and that would benefit Utah. Like I said, I'd rather just not have Jae's contract on the books.

We could move him for no salary and pick up assets in the process. His contract isn't viewed as being the super awesome deal it was earlier, but still a lot of value there.

The guy I was arguing with was complaining about his defense. And regardless of how many boneheaded plays he makes, it seems far less detrimental to the team than Hood was on both ends of the floor.
As long as he does not share floor with Exum too much lol:). Both of them together was a disaster in first half.