What's new

Game 3 tactics.

You are doing good things on this board.
teininare.jpg

From what I understand the reason we are employing the embarrassing gimmick defense is because we are scared of harden shooting threes and stepback threes in particular.
Why are we so afraid of that again? Harden shot 36.8% from three this year. That's ok but nothing to freak out about. I'm fine with him taking and making threes at a 36/37 percent clip. That's what he shoots against defenses that play him straight up.
Against the jazz and their gimmick defense in the playoffs harden is shooting 44% from three.

The rockets as a team shot 36% from 3 in the regular season.
Against the jazz gimmick playoff defense they are shooting 39% from three.

Doesn't seem to be working.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

So I agree with you here, but to help with context, he shot around 40% in the last 20 games and probably around 44% in the last 10-12 games (too lazy to do math again). So I don't think our defense is necessarily responsible for him shooting better, but clearly it's not helping all that much either (while causing problems elsewhere).

I actually do have an answer for this situation. Houston is not that much better than Jazz actually. We beat them twice in the regular season. The problem we ran into right now is we are too afraid of foul trouble with Harden. If we have to lose by over 20 points per game, let the foul come. The key problem is Harden, we let him get into the paint freely and does what he wants to do there. That creates open shots for other players. We need to play Jazz basket ball and not Houston basket ball. Use Grayson Allen, get to Harden's body, be aggressive, let the foul comes. See who is afraid of body contact. That will change the game.

The playoffs are always a bit of a different animal, but I do agree with that game plan overall.

So I agree with you here, but to help with context, he shot around 40% in the last 20 games and probably around 44% in the last 10-12 games (too lazy to do math again). So I don't think our defense is necessarily responsible for him shooting better, but clearly it's not helping all that much either (while causing problems elsewhere).
Fair enough.
Basically we are ****ed

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I’d like to see us go small at some point. Go with: Mitchell, Allen, Jingles, Royce, Favors. Force the rockets to actually defend us finally.

Use both Ekpe and Bradley and tell both of them that they have six fouls each and use them so that Harden is picking himself up off the floor during each infraction.

Reactions: RJF