What's new

Game tonight! Magic at Jazz 7:00 pm mtn. The last best chance to break the losing streak

This is the part were I think people hate for Burke is illogical. How many players are really good two way players this early in their careers? They seem to have all the hope and patience in the world that Exum can completely transform himself into a passing Kobe Bryant(even though he's no were near the athlete Kobe was at the same age), but seems to think it's impossible that Burke can become a quality defender over time.

yup. both offense and defense - players can get better if they put time and efforts to it. just look at hayward and his improvement on O. he got better because he is now confident(maxcat baby) and he got bigger and stronger.

remember trey's bench press? he did 185 3 times. 3 stinkin times. that's weak. i'm sure trey has gotten stronger, but that's not good enough. trey needs to get stronger in the core and become a physical player. wishing him to be more athletic is not realistic. but he can get stronger. that's the little thing he can improve on.

And a 2nd year player. With all the fuss around Jabari Parker and how pro ready he was he isn't setting the league a blaze. Not because he doesn't have the talent, and it certainly doesn't mean he won't in a few years. However improving takes time. Trey isn't even half way through his second season.

Trey has a reputation as an extremely hard worker. How about people actually wait longer than one off season to see if that hard work pays off?

I think most jazz fans recognize that Trey Burke is a below average sized player with average athleticism, average vision, and average/below average shooting. There aren't many matchups he's going to win.

it is what it is. i'm not gonna expect lockdown D from trey. it's like asking steve nash to play tough D. trey will get better at D, but it's not his forte. but there are many areas where i expect him to get better. and if he doesn't get better at in those area then we will always be a bottom feeder with trey being a starting PG.

i'm not gonna friggin give up on a 2nd year player who's learning the new system. if exum is playing lights out and looks ready, then hell yeah, we throw him into the wolves. but we all know exum isn't ready yet.

and at the end of the day, trey was 9th pick in a weak draft. we can always bench him and make him be our back up PG. many teams would die for trey as their backup.
Fair assessment.
And we do agree on one thing: Dante is not ready.

I think most jazz fans recognize that Trey Burke is a below average sized player with average athleticism, average vision, and average/below average shooting. There aren't many matchups he's going to win.

Given all that I would love, just absolutely love to have heard the jazz 'war room' the day leading up to drafting Trey. It never made sense to me.

KOC talked for years about getting longer at every position. Dennis talks about defense and 3pt shhoting. The Millers emphasis character. And they drafted Trey?

Most Jazz fanz from my short time here doesn't seem to be very logical when it comes to Burke. So anybody who agrees with your assessment about Trey's vision and I can just agree to disagree. Again as a New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans fan I would have described Chris Paul as below average sized player, with average athleticism, and average shooting after his 1st two seasons. Paul worked his *** off to become the best PG in the league for a very long stretch.

It feels like Trey has better PG instincts than Dante... and better handle. Dante's passive play actually makes him look less and less like a PG. When he's aggressive he can be a playmaker, but he defers and simply gets rid off the ball instead of creating anything way too much.

Most Jazz fanz from my short time here doesn't seem to be very logical when it comes to Burke. So anybody who agrees with your assessment about Trey's vision and I can just agree to disagree. Again as a New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans fan I would have described Chris Paul as below average sized player, with average athleticism, and average shooting after his 1st two seasons. Paul worked his *** off to become the best PG in the league for a very long stretch.
Chris Paul was rookie of the year and dominated other PGs his first two seasons. Also, Chris Paul has epite quickness. What a terrible comparison.

Chris Paul was rookie of the year and dominated other PGs his first two seasons. Also, Chris Paul has epite quickness. What a terrible comparison.

Paul quickness is not elite his dribbling and ball handling is elite. The level of PG in the league wasn't nearly as deep as it is today and he didn't dominate until he had some years in. Also he was able to be a ball dominate player in Byron Scott "system". With all that said I'm not saying Burke will be as good as Paul never had. I'm my point is guys Burke size and physical ability can be stars. He has enough talent the question will be if he willing to out work everybody else. I think he will.

It feels like Trey has better PG instincts than Dante... and better handle. Dante's passive play actually makes him look less and less like a PG. When he's aggressive he can be a playmaker, but he defers and simply gets rid off the ball instead of creating anything way too much.

Trey has more in common with Jacque Vaughn than cp3.

I really don't see the comparisons of Burke and Paul. They're both humans?

Paul quickness is not elite his dribbling and ball handling is elite. The level of PG in the league wasn't nearly as deep as it is today and he didn't dominate until he had some years in. Also he was able to be a ball dominate player in Byron Scott "system". With all that said I'm not saying Burke will be as good as Paul never had. I'm my point is guys Burke size and physical ability can be stars. He has enough talent the question will be if he willing to out work everybody else. I think he will.

Anyone who calls Paul's quickness anything but elite has no idea what the hell they're talking about.

Anybody that doesn't understand how elite ball handling can be mistaken for quickness probably never played basketball before.

So paul does in fact have elite quickness with the ball in his hands (due to his elite ball handling).

Kinda seems like splitting hairs. (cp3 tend to have the ball in his hands often)

cp3 is quick, but i wouldn't say elite quick. but i don't use the word 'elite' often. A.I was an elite.
Would you say cp3 is a top ten quick pg in the league right now?

Would you say cp3 is a top ten quick pg in the league right now?

Nope.There's an incredible amount on talent at the one.

Wall
Westbrook
Lawson
Teague
Walker
Jennings
Rondo
Rose
Bledsoe
Parker

Those are all just starters not counting guys like Thomas, Schroeder, and even Exum who comes off the bench.

Nope.There's an incredible amount on talent at the one.

Wall
Westbrook
Lawson
Teague
Walker
Jennings
Rondo
Rose
Bledsoe
Parker

Those are all just starters not counting guys like Thomas, Schroeder, and even Exum who comes off the bench.

Good list but I put cp3 ahead of rondo, rose, bledsoe, jennings, and wall when it comes to quickness (side to side, stop n go, shiftiness) with the ball in his hands.

And the others are a toss up imo.