What's new

George "The Astro Van" Niang!

I think we lose him next year, because of the tax. He is extremely valuable for the 9th man and what he does for us - spacing for the 2nd unit and plays off JC and Gobert/Favors and Conley.

I've been critical of Niang, but he's shown real progress this year despite some shooting struggles. I think bringing back Favors has helped a lot. The complementary skillsets of Favors and Niang are far more effective than the gaping defensive black hole we used to have with Bradley and Niang on the floor at the same time.

My hell y’all are idiots. You’ve been bashing him since at least the beginning of last off season and probably longer, and now because of a few good games y’all love him now. Y’all need to eat hella more crow before you hop in the van with me.

I still think we can do better than George Niang for the 9th guy... we need energy and defense in the second unit and we STILL have no big wings/fours for defenders (Bojan is not that, Joe is past his prime). We are so heavily weighted towards perimeter scoring - we don’t have many guys capable of actually attacking the basket other than Donovan and Rudy. We’re ranked 23rd in points in the paint, and 28th in free throw attempts. That could be a problem. Not that a Niang replacement (who could still shoot a little just not as well) would even solve that one.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I still think we can do better than George Niang for the 9th guy... we need energy and defense in the second unit and we STILL have no big wings/fours for defenders (Bojan is not that, Joe is past his prime). We are so heavily weighted towards perimeter scoring - we don’t have many guys capable of actually attacking the basket other than Donovan and Rudy. We’re ranked 23rd in points in the paint, and 28th in free throw attempts. That could be a problem. Not that a Niang replacement (who could still shoot a little just not as well) would even solve that one.

He does give energy and defense off the bench. But because of his reputation people just assume he doesn’t play defense. Fact is he’s put a lot of effort into his defense, and most here are oblivious to it. He’s also valuable to the jazz as the team usually dominates during the time he’s in the game, just look at his +/- for the year.

He does give energy and defense off the bench. But because of his reputation people just assume he doesn’t play defense. Fact is he’s put a lot of effort into his defense, and most here are oblivious to it. He’s also valuable to the jazz as the team usually dominates during the time he’s in the game, just look at his +/- for the year.

His defense has improved but his defense is still sh*t. FIVE fouls in 14 minutes of play is not good defense

I’m sorry but I would take the Semi (Ojeleye) type for our team over the Minivan. I was hoping that’s who Brantley could turn into, but it doesn’t look it so far... actually Semi’s defensive stats don’t look all that great this year

Last edited:

The 9th guy isn't going to fundamentally change how this team plays. If you are concerned about those numbers, you have to change Mitchell, Conley, Bogey, or Clarkson. Those are the players that are driving those numbers. Swapping out Niang for someone else isn't going to make a ripple. What he is going to do is play as the 5th guy in our second unit. So how's that working out with Niang? +21.1 and 100th percentile in the league. Seems to be working out just fine.

His defense has improved but his defense is still sh*t. FIVE fouls in 14 minutes of play is not good defense

He did play good defense, at least two of his fouls were shot calls, he also had one foul on purpose to stop a fast break easy layup it was a solid hard foul. For a guy that plays 10-14 minutes a game he is aggressive on defense and uses his fouls nicely. He’s been better than average on defense this year. Also the stats show the jazz are better with him in the lineup than out. U need a new perception of who Niang is my friend.

In his defense, most of those fouls were very ticky-tacky and also bad decisions on his part, being a bit too aggressive when he didn't have to be.
In his defense, he's not a player that we're relying to play even as much as 14 minutes, so even a sixth foul wouldn't be a problem

He did play good defense, at least two of his fouls were shot calls, he also had one foul on purpose to stop a fast break easy layup it was a solid hard foul. For a guy that plays 10-14 minutes a game he is aggressive on defense and uses his fouls nicely. He’s been better than average on defense this year. Also the stats show the jazz are better with him in the lineup than out. U need a new perception of who Niang is my friend.

All I’m saying if there’s an upgrade to be made, that’s where it should be. Nothing much else is very movable for us

All I’m saying if there’s an upgrade to be made, that’s where it should be. Nothing much else is very movable for us

We’re paying him I’m guessing the minimum, to replace what he gives us and more we need to pay 7-10 million a year. You don’t understand the value Niang brings to this team. I guess it’s not your fault, you know, with that pea sized brain and all.

Georges has been great, certainly playing with more aggression. Also can't believe people saying joe is old and washed up after missing 4 games.

No one wants the minivan, but there comes a time in life where you need the minivan whether you like it or not.
Sliding doors are a godsend with kids... so much more storage than an suv and get great gas mileage. The only problem is a tiny bit of me dies inside every time I drive it.