What's new

Gobert,Favors,Exum can be Gasol,Zbo,Conley

tleikheen

Old school basketball on display with the Memphis Grizzlies....This season Quin Snyder went from a PNR guru to a defensive minded coach when it became obvious the key to Jazz wins was focusing on defense.

A big deal was made of Golden State being the #1 defensive team in the NBA (as well as #1 in offense) but the Memphis defense is a physical style of defense and looking pretty tough...The Utah trio of Gobert,Favors and Exum ,wont be as physical but they have length.....

What I like is Memphis doesn't try to match Golden State in going small ,they stay big with Koufos ....this is what I didn't like over the year when Coach Snyder tryed to match up small ball with Booker and got overpowered ...Rather see Utah impose their size and length on NBA smallball lineups next year

Great post. I think it's great Memphis is punishing small ball teams by playing big. I think Memphis' success bodes well for the future of the Jazz.

Favors/Gobert have a long way to go before they're near Randolph/Gasol on the offensive end.

Favors/Gobert have a long way to go before they're near Randolph/Gasol on the offensive end.

Agreed ,but Gobert is European and he made some awfully good passes this year and is a willing passer ......another thing ,he's directing the defense like Gasol does
AND the road is much shortened as far as Favors is concerned on offense ,he's a 50/55% shooter closing in on being a perpetual dbl/dbl guy as well

Dante Exum is on his way to being a serious disruptor on defense starting next year.Always knowing Gobert behind him will let him play in your face defense and gamble more.Speed and Length make up for being Weak ,now if he gets a little stronger this summer..............

Excellent point. Don't forget that Favors is black (just like Z-bo).

LOL,my bad ...just to clarify ,it's written and said the Europeans teach the basics more than the Americans ,since Gobert is French I include him as European and he already has the mindset to be a sweet passing big ,ala the Gasol Brothers

I agree that Memphis feels like the model the Jazz should follow. Defense always does well in the post season, though the Jazz really need Hood/Exum and one other player to develop more on offense (or Burks fills that void).

Exum has a long way to go to get to Conley's offense potential as well.

at 20 yrs old ,Conley's 1st yr ...he averaged 9.4 ppg....4.2 apg...2.6 rpg 26 min.....3.6/8.3 (.428).....06/1.7 (.330)

this is easily doable for Exum ,I don't think its a long way to go

I believe Exum has the offensive feel for the game in him somewhere deep evidenced by his HS schools and some flashes of his high IQ plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he improves vastly.

I believe Exum has the offensive feel for the game in him somewhere deep evidenced by his HS schools and some flashes of his high IQ plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he improves vastly.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered for now, but how smurfin' exciting will it be if/when Exum makes a jump offensively? This team could realistically be playing for HC as soon as this year, and that's not just homer talk.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered for now, but how smurfin' exciting will it be if/when Exum makes a jump offensively? This team could realistically be playing for HC as soon as this year, and that's not just homer talk.

Playing for HC?? What does this mean? Sorry if it's obvious. Just woke up.

Old school basketball on display with the Memphis Grizzlies....This season Quin Snyder went from a PNR guru to a defensive minded coach when it became obvious the key to Jazz wins was focusing on defense.

A big deal was made of Golden State being the #1 defensive team in the NBA (as well as #1 in offense) but the Memphis defense is a physical style of defense and looking pretty tough...The Utah trio of Gobert,Favors and Exum ,wont be as physical but they have length.....

What I like is Memphis doesn't try to match Golden State in going small ,they stay big with Koufos ....this is what I didn't like over the year when Coach Snyder tryed to match up small ball with Booker and got overpowered ...Rather see Utah impose their size and length on NBA smallball lineups next year

Basically agree with this and it is encouraging. Our guys will not be an exact match of the 3 Grizz, but the general idea of being big vs small is the same. With Rudy and Favs, Jazz are locked into being big.

Booker was really about the only useful "big" we had on the bench, at least after NoDefense was traded. Who else was Quin supposed to throw out there? Cooley was about useless.

LOL,my bad ...just to clarify ,it's written and said the Europeans teach the basics more than the Americans ,since Gobert is French I include him as European and he already has the mindset to be a sweet passing big ,ala the Gasol Brothers

LMAO..OKay then. It must be written in that Euros are soft then right? CLown

I think our guys are already superior on the defensive end. But they have a long way to go, offensively. And Dante longer than any of the three to match Conley, who I've been saying the last couple of years is very underrated.

Not sure on the direct comparison of players but it is encouraging to see them do well. Defense first and no superstar scorer. Pretty much what I think we can be although I think our guys have more upside. This whole playoff has been encouraging to me. As the game slows down even more in the playoffs our style is going to be even more potent.

This might be a little unpopular to say, but i honestly think favors and gobert have more upside than zbo and gasol