What's new

God damn people

ct-shooting-adam-lanza.jpg

121214-adamL-vsmall.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

Rather than have a knee jerk reaction and call for gun control, maybe we ought to look at how we treat our mentally ill. Instead of pumping them full of anti-depressants and moving on to the next patient, maybe they should get actual treatment. Sure, guns make it a lot easier to kill people, but when we identify the threats and really try to help them, maybe that will stop some of this senseless **** that seems to happen all too often.

I haven't been able to do **** today because it just kills me inside thinking of innocent Kindergarten kids taken far too soon.

This news has shook me up today for two reasons. 1) I am disgusted that this happened. Why would somebody go on a shooting spree in an elementary school and then take his life? 2) I am appalled that I was not surprised by the news. We, as a country, have had a ton of random violence recently. The flavor of the day seems to be shooting up randoms strangers then taking one's own life. Are these individuals suicidal and simply trying to make the news? Or are these individuals mentally unstable?

I'll be honest. I heard the news, but I pushed it into the back of my mind because I had some finals today. However, when I found out that I knew the father of one of the victims, I was no longer able to avoid the devastating truth. I am truly saddened over the events today. I am physically sick to my stomach.

As far as gun control goes, I don't think there are any easy answers. The scary truth is is that we cannot control our neighbor's actions. Especially if that neighbor is suicidal or mentally unbalanced. We can only control our own.

However, one specific thing gives me consolation at the moment. Today, only one person's actions were evil. In turn, Millions of Americans have responded with prayer and good will.

Rather than have a knee jerk reaction and call for gun control, maybe we ought to look at how we treat our mentally ill. Instead of pumping them full of anti-depressants and moving on to the next patient, maybe they should get actual treatment. Sure, guns make it a lot easier to kill people, but when we identify the threats and really try to help them, maybe that will stop some of this senseless **** that seems to happen all too often.

I haven't been able to do **** today because it just kills me inside thinking of innocent Kindergarten kids taken far too soon.

For truth. Until This country starts treating all illnesses including mental illnesses instead of perpetuating a culture where everybody is either a tough guy or under the radar we will continue to be the worst nation in the world in regards to health efficiency, and these types of crimes will only get worse.

It has nothing to do with Gun Control.

What's really strange to me is how angry I am at this guy.

I'm not sure if I've ever actually been pissed off at killers other than 9/11. They usually don't seem real to me. But this guy really just pisses me off. I almost wish that I could have been there and been able to take this guy down. I wish he hadn't died. I'd wish upon him a lifetime of being beaten down in prison for a good 60 years before rotting in hell for eternity.

If this guy had been some terrorist, I'd be joining the army right now to take this guy's organization down.

I shed tears when I read the news from a zillion miles. I share the pain with the families.

Edit: I'm still crying, God damn him!

Gun control will do nothing to deter these sick individuals from doing harm. The only peope it harms are the responsible gun owners. Rather than enacting new laws, law enforcement/gov't should focus more on enforcement of current laws.

Based on what?

I think there are some myths out there that need to be addressed...

#1 Gun control will do "nothing." Huh? Based on what? Look at Western Europe. Restrictive gun laws and very few murders done by guns. Besides, I don't think that anyone believes that "all" murders will stop because gun laws become more restrictive. But if it helps decrease the number and/or frequency, WHY NOT? lets try it. If it doesn't work we can always go back to what we have today. Lets try something different! We don't need to get rid of all guns. But more restrictions? Longer waiting periods? Tests? Training? Absolutely! Lets do something different because it's pretty obvious that the current system is failing.

The other issue too is that I keep hearing how these sickos will find the guns anyway. I'm not sure I buy that argument anymore. Lets assume that the only way to get these assault weapons is via the "black market." How do these sickos (who can barely manage their own lives) find the black market and afford the weapons? Guns, unlike drugs, do not go up in smoke or urinated away. I'm no gun expert, but can't guns and ammunition be traced? Do black market retailers really want to leave themselves vulnerable to prosecution by being linked to some of these crazies? I'd imagine that black market retailers would actually care deeply about who they're selling their illegal weapons to. They don't want to be seen. They don't want attention. They just want to maintain their business. If anything, black market retailers might care more about who they sell to than current (legal) gun salespeople.

#2 I keep hearing how if everyone were to "pack" we'd all be a lot safer. Serious question, has there been a reported case where an ordinary citizen packing either stopped or minimized the tragedy? I cannot recall any. Here in Utah, where "everyone" packs, we had a shooting just a few years ago up at Trolley Square. I don't recall any ordinary citizen blowing away the shooter. Perhaps all the packers ran away to save their own skins? Maybe they all missed? The shooter was eventually taken down by professionals. So if packing actually makes you "safer" why hasn't any "packer" stopped/minimized (any) of these shootings?
To me, this argument seems like a cheap parlor trick from the NRA attempting to sell more guns under the guise that it will actually make you "safer."

#3 Gun control talk being too soon. If we don't have the discussion IMMEDIATELY after one of these tragedies happen, then it won't happen. Just watch, in a few weeks this will be one bad memory as the rest of us go back to the daily grind. The national media will go back to bitching about the fiscal cliff. And the rest of us will, for all intents and purposes, forget about this tragedy. The time for discussion is now.

Last edited:
Gun control will do nothing to deter these sick individuals from doing harm. The only peope it harms are the responsible gun owners. Rather than enacting new laws, law enforcement/gov't should focus more on enforcement of current laws.

How does gun control harm responsible gun owners?

Also why are people so in love with thier guns? I picture people sitting at home holding and stroking thier guns and telling thier guns how much they love and care for them, saying "oh precious gun, what would i ever do without you?"

I grew up in a family with 2 other brothers and my dad all big time hunters.(chuckers, pheasants, turkeys, ducks, doves, deer, rabbits, grouse, pronghorn) I have hunted just about everything and i have had guns since i was like 5 and still have a couple of guns today.... but honestly if i never owned a gun in my life, my life wouldn't be any different from the lack of guns.

My guns that i have owned over my life have never done anything for me and have not been necessary in my life to achieve happiness or success.

What is it that people are so scared of gun control. Whats with the paranoia?

My guns that i have owned over my life have never done anything for me and have not been necessary in my life to achieve happiness or success.

What is it that people are so scared of gun control. Whats with the paranoia?

It's ok, go ahead and hand your guns over to your local precinct.

In the meantime..... the rest of us will keep the local burglar away from your house and family.

It's ok, go ahead and hand your guns over to your local precinct.

In the meantime..... the rest of us will keep the local burglar away from your house and family.

How many burglars have you shot silencer?

https://now.msn.com/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-says-mom-of-mentally-ill-son?

Really good article about raising a kid with mental illness. My wifes little brother has sever ASHD, Aspergers, etc .... Sounds like he has a lot of the stuff Lanza had and I could absolutely see him getting mad or sad about something and doing something stupid in the "heat of the moment", his heat of the moment might not be 10 minutes but might be two weeks. Its a tough situation.

At some point the mom really screwed up.

What the hell was she doing training that kid on guns?

I can understand a kid with Aspergers or ASHD needing an outlet and hobbies. I mean, heck, one of my good friends has Aspergers but is pretty normal. He's a lil socially awkward at times but isn't a social outcast (he's actually married to a BEAAUUUTTTIFFFULL latina) or has cases of rage.

But this kid had soooooooooooooo many issues. Had cases of rage and hate. Was a complete social outcast.

Giving the kid a gun was probably thee last thing a parent should have done.

When you see a fire you don't rush to throw gasoline onto it.

Why didn't she give him a Football instead? Or help him find joy in nature (she enjoyed gardening, right???)? Or hell, get him the professional help that he needed. It's not like she was hurting for cash!

Theeeeee last thing that boy needed was to be trained in shooting guns.

Stupid.

Soooooo many problems with our society are the direct result of parents refusing to use common sense. You see it everyday in the classroom. Parently, oftentimes willingly, asleep at the wheel. Letting TV, the Internet, video games, etc raise their children while the parents refuse to accept any responsibility (usually just blame religions or teachers for problems). And sadly, we see it today with a completely senseless tragedy.

whoa, whoa, whoa - - Thriller, either I'm misunderstanding your post, or you're misunderstanding the article that kennykyle posted - - or you have information I haven't heard yet...

not saying by any means that the mom of the Newtown shooter should or should not have introduced her sons to guns, but everything I've read about this kid is that he was shy and withdrawn but nothing about any sort of violent tendencies or outbursts of rage from him - - the story kk posted is about someone else entirely...

also, I know there's been a lot of talk about mental illness in connection with this - - I'm not really sure that autism or Asberger's falls into the category of mental illness - - not sure about ADHD either. Are those with ADHD considered mentally ill? What about dyslexia? Some things are just learning disabilities, but I'm not sure they would fall into the category of mental illness.

Soooooo many problems with our society are the direct result of parents refusing to use common sense. You see it everyday in the classroom. Parently, oftentimes willingly, asleep at the wheel. Letting TV, the Internet, video games, etc raise their children while the parents refuse to accept any responsibility (usually just blame religions or teachers for problems). And sadly, we see it today with a completely senseless tragedy.

I hate being right...

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=23430406&n...ringing-gun-to-kearns-school&s_cid=featured-1

KEARNS — An 11-year-old boy who brought a gun to a West Kearns Elementary School Monday is facing criminal charges after allegedly threatening a classmate.

Granite School District administrators said the sixth-grader packed the .22 caliber handgun, along with ammunition, in his backpack and brought it to class.

The boy told administrators he did it to protect himself in case a school shooting similar to the massacre in Newtown, Conn., happened here. But classmate Isabelle Rios said that's not how he used the weapon.

"He pulled out a gun and he put it to my head — me and my friend — (and) said he was going to kills us," Isabelle said. "I told him I was going to tell, but he said, ‘If you tell, I'm going to kill you.'"

Isabelle said it happened during morning recess, but she didn't alert her teacher until around 3:00 in the afternoon.

Upon learning the information the teacher acted quickly, disarming the student in a matter of seconds, and took him to the school's office. Police officers were called and arrived within minutes.

"This teacher in particular put herself with this student and took him into physical custody to ensure that he was not able to use that weapon to harm anybody," said Ben Horsley, spokesman for the Granite School District.

The gun was found in the boy's backpack, Horsley said. There was ammunition there too, but the gun was not loaded when the teacher found it.

Family members of students remained at West Kearns Elementary throughout the evening as they were briefed about the situation.

"I'm taking my kids out of school. They ain't coming back here," said Mandee Doyle, whose children attend the school.

Where the hell are the parents? Why the hell don't they lock their weapons up?

Gun Control can start with making it a felony for not having their guns locked up. I believe these parents have lost their 2nd amendment rights. We could have easily had another tragedy.

This.

I'm not sure when parents decided to be their kid's friends and lose their balls but we live in an ever-growing pathetic society.

That said, she gave her kid's guns? I thought she herself simply had a collection?

"I'm taking my kids out of school. They ain't coming back here," said Mandee Doyle, whose children attend the school.

Haha. Trust me Mandee, if anybody's kids need to be in school it sounds like yours do.

whoa, whoa, whoa - - Thriller, either I'm misunderstanding your post, or you're misunderstanding the article that kennykyle posted - - or you have information I haven't heard yet...

not saying by any means that the mom of the Newtown shooter should or should not have introduced her sons to guns, but everything I've read about this kid is that he was shy and withdrawn but nothing about any sort of violent tendencies or outbursts of rage from him - - the story kk posted is about someone else entirely...

also, I know there's been a lot of talk about mental illness in connection with this - - I'm not really sure that autism or Asberger's falls into the category of mental illness - - not sure about ADHD either. Are those with ADHD considered mentally ill? What about dyslexia? Some things are just learning disabilities, but I'm not sure they would fall into the category of mental illness.

I read an article that asked what if there is nothing to blame.

What if the mom was responsible with her guns?
What if the school had adequate security measures?
What if the shooter's mental illness had little to no connections to violent behaviour?

What if this was simply evil and there is nothing to blame?