What's new

Got into a pretty heated debate with my wife last night about race.

That was my point. It's nuanced. A white kid born into poverty into a 95% black community is going to have it rough. Same with a black kid. She was just trying to speak in absolutes, it was so obnoxious.

Regrettably, we are not in a world that embraces nuance.

For example, I see a total ******* get exposed on a 20 second viral video. I’ve heard people like this my whole life. Should they feel consequences? Sure. Should they be fired and their families miss the rent and homeless?

it feels pretty good standing on the outside with a pitchfork in the cancel society.

but is it right to judge an entire person’s life based on what might be their worst 20 seconds?

punishment should fit the crime.

Nobody today is as racist, or as race-mongering as a group, as the Dems who don't care what facts are, or what people are, because of a total obsession with their own designs on power and who will lie any way deemed helpful to exploit whatever issues there are that can produce results.

The mainstream Democratic party does engage in it's own form of racism, but it's not as explicit, confrontational, or imposing as the racism of the mainstream Republican party.

<i>Some debate who the Pharaohs were, whether black or white. It doesn't matter. Probably they were white, according to some genetic correlations with other sections of the fertile crescent. But it didn't matter to them what people they could use for slaves, black or white. They would therefore make a good comparison to todays power elites.</i>

I don'[t know much about slavery in Egypt, but I'd be willing to bet that is was organized much more around conquest and warfare than around skin color.

I agree Obama was horrendous in healing race relations. I put him in the same camp as Bush the younger though, pure at heart but just a failure.

What do you think he could have done better, besides ignoring what he saw as problems?

In this country, there are cultural advantages to being white and of European descent. These are things we normally take for granted, such as the fact that we're speaking English right now, typing into a computer that developed out of the western model of science, living under a system of law whose roots go back to early western civilization, celebrating arts, culture and literature that are mostly European in origin, and so on.

The U.S. is at least supposed to support and encourage cultural diversity though, more so than more racially homogenous countries like, say, Japan or China.

Another factor is that, in the U.S., the majority of wealth (it used to be close to 90%) is inherited within families. There is more socio-economic upward mobility in the U.S. than in many other countries. However, there does appear to be some clear social tension in the U.S. that stems from the fact that Baby Boomers currently own the majority of the real estate and stocks (i.e., wealth) in this country, and the majority of them are white. These are people whose families took advantage of economic opportunities that existed decades ago that may no longer exist equally today.

As generational wealth is passed down, the next generation inherits the money, real estate and stocks, and they use it to better their lives. They go to better schools, they gain access to better jobs and business opportunities, and they marry into other well-off families. This is to say, other people who do not have generational wealth do not have the same economic advantages.

It is true that in this country white people own more wealth than other races. I would argue that being white is more of a correlation than causation for having more money, but I'm not sure how much that distinction matters to someone who is on the outside looking in.

To the OP (maybe not his intention but I asked him to clarify) and for other posters in the future, please don't use "Mexicans" when talking about racial, religious or ethnic groups. Oftentimes is used to refer to everyone who looks hispanic. I 've even been asked by american friends if I speak "Mexican". It's just deeply offensive, stupid and shows so much ignorance.

To the OP (maybe not his intention but I asked him to clarify) and for other posters in the future, please don't use "Mexicans" when talking about racial, religious or ethnic groups. Oftentimes is used to refer to everyone who looks hispanic. I 've even been asked by american friends if I speak "Mexican". It's just deeply offensive, stupid and shows so much ignorance.
Well, do you speak Mexican?

I speak German. And it's called Germany. It's called Mexico, and my friends who live in Spain don't call it Spanish, that call it Mexican. Because it's the dialect(s) spoken in Mexico.

Just being facetious. I understand the implications in America as opposed to the rest of the world.

You people are crazier than a fish with **** ! completely bonkers ! Although we hate with a passion communism and communists i must admit one good thing that came out of it is that for a considerable period of time we were protected from these cancerous concepts - "white privilege", "institutional racism", "intersectionality" etc. While reading trough the comments this whole thread reminds me of the characters from that music video - "Frontier Psychiatrist" by the Avalanches

You people are crazier than a fish with **** ! completely bonkers ! Although we hate with a passion communism and communists i must admit one good thing that came out of it is that for a considerable period of time we were protected from these cancerous concepts - "white privilege", "institutional racism", "intersectionality" etc. While reading trough the comments this whole thread reminds me of the characters from that music video - "Frontier Psychiatrist" by the Avalanches
Huh?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Some context. We are both white, were raised upper middle class, in a very predominantly white area.

She was telling me about some podcast where the guest, a black woman, went to some Ivy league school and how weird it was when she got there that everyone there grew up with a washing machine and dryer and how her white roommates were so ungrateful for everything they had growing up. Being the sadist I am I decide to interject, that she's acting like being poor is strictly a black phenomenon. That there are no poor asians, mexicans, jews, whites, etc ..... What about the white coal miner in rural Kentucky doing back breaking work for $15 an hour for 12 hours a day, getting lung cancer because the company doesn't give a **** about them. What do you say to them about white privilege? Now I absolutely do believe white privilege exists, but I also think that economics and area where you are born play just as big a role as race into someones opportunities in life.

So she says a few insane things ....

1. EVERY WHITE PERSON HAS MORE OPPORTUNITIES THAN EVERY BLACK PERSON. No, absolutely not even kind of true. An outright lie.
2. THAT THE ONLY REASON MY GRANDPA BECAME A MILLIONAIRE WAS BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE. In reality he leased land from the state in his 20's, built out a very large fruit farm over 50 years, sold all his land in his late 70's and made a **** ton of money. But not until he had been doing back breaking manual labor for 50 years. Her Grandpa has almost the exact same story. So, not sure where his whiteness caused this.
3. SHE FEELS GUILTY FOR BEING WHITE. This is idiocy, I almost lost my god damned mind when she said this. I told her I 100% I do not feel 1 ounce of guilt. I am grateful as I do understand that I was born into a much easier situation than a vast majority minorities, and so I was extremely lucky to be born to the family I have and in the area we live, I do not feel guilt. I would recognize I am lucky and would do what I can to help raise up those that have been born into much harder situations.
4. She gets deeply offended whenever I ask her what the answers are. What needs to be done to fix the wrongs these people have most certainly experienced? I'm not interested in talking about slavery anymore, It was awful and caused generations of pain and suffering. 99.999% of the country recognizes this. So what do we do now to fix it? What can we do to help? What can we do to lift up black youth? That needs to be the focal point of these discussions. Not focusing on everything that happened 100, 80, 50, years ago. Most everyone recognizes and agrees that black society was wronged for a long long time. What can we do now to try and help?

My main point was sure, blacks have had it rough, very very rough. And a ton of things have held them down for a long long time. But my point was I think someones economic situation is also very very relevant to one's opportunities. Not just one's race. That being born into poverty and into an area with very few economic opportunities is not just a black issue.
Sounds like you both carried one another to some pretty useless categories and distinctions. Conversations can be pretty worthless if the assumptions you start with are bad and go unchecked. For example, the idea that a good analysis can take race and economic situation as two separate variables is patently ridiculous.

Also, I think Native American and Black voices should have a leading role in determining solutions to the problems, but I’m sure they thank you for your let’s-wipe-history sort of approach.

Also, the land-leasing scenarios that your grandfather used as a springboard to wealth were meted out unequally in terms of race. So, sure, praise his hard work—but recognize the underlying structure.

I guess I don't understand this statement. I'm not going to make assumptions about what you mean.
Okay, hold on. I think I get this. Beer's claim to fame a few years back was posting about conflicts he had with his wife. I think RfR is basically referencing that. I don't think it's necessarily a sexist comment.

Sorry @RandyForRubio