What's new

Gun Control

There's been way too much said since I last commented for me to respond individually, so I'm sorry, I'm not dodging your question.

Someone asked what business is it of mine to control what you buy. Surely you can't be serious is my response... There are intense regulations for any number of things, especially things with dangerous capabilities.

I don't know what an assault weapon is. I'm not informed enough about guns. I could certainly learn more. But I have in mind any fast firing, large magazine type weapon that isn't clearly and classically used for hunting. This might be a naive conception of firearms but surely you can glean what I mean or at least an idea. What is the purpose of having such guns? To protect against the new world order?

People are so paranoid these days. It isn't about a police state, or censoring the masses, or any of that. It's about living safely and prudently. Ugh. I'll try and think of a real detailed and intelligent persuasive comment, this is all just stream of consciousness on tapatalk

Are you referring to mass shootings, or gun murders generally? It's hard to parse your argument.

The arguement is stop the shootings and murders. Well the number of shootings and murders are both higher amoung handguns.

More mass shooting are with a rifle but the number of dead from handguns far exceeds the number of dead from the few mass shootings every year.

Of those, I would say being denied military service is significant enough, public enough, and on-point enough about mental health that it would form a good candidate for such a database. Maybe also being kicked out of college, depending on the circumstances.

Anyone can be arrested for almost anything, so I don't see that as helpful. Same with being fired.

True, they can. But let us use a scenario:

Guy goes in to a store to buy a handgun. As they conduct a background check it comes up that he has an arrest record. The background check is stalled and a longer in depth look (say 2-3 days) is taken before he is approved/denied. That way they can weed out unimportant offenses (say no paying tickets or having been in a fight at school).

Have those things set of warnings where a better look is warrented.

There's been way too much said since I last commented for me to respond individually, so I'm sorry, I'm not dodging your question.

Someone asked what business is it of mine to control what you buy. Surely you can't be serious is my response... There are intense regulations for any number of things, especially things with dangerous capabilities.

I don't know what an assault weapon is. I'm not informed enough about guns. I could certainly learn more. But I have in mind any fast firing, large magazine type weapon that isn't clearly and classically used for hunting. This might be a naive conception of firearms but surely you can glean what I mean or at least an idea. What is the purpose of having such guns? To protect against the new world order?

People are so paranoid these days. It isn't about a police state, or censoring the masses, or any of that. It's about living safely and prudently. Ugh. I'll try and think of a real detailed and intelligent persuasive comment, this is all just stream of consciousness on tapatalk

Where did you get the notion that assault weapons fire rapidly? It's false but seems to be a very popular notion amongst those in favor of banning "assault weapons" so I'm genuinely interested in how this notion has come to be so wide-spread and accepted as fact.

People and drugs yes.

But with guns it's the other way around - most of the guns in Mexico were smuggled into Mexico from the US.

You are absolutely right. Even the US government is doing it. But if there was suddenly a dramatic increase in the demand for illegal guns in the US (as would be from a gun ban) that flow is very easily reversed.

One is people trying to look at the immediate impact and the other is people looking at the long run. I firmly maintain that it is equally about both.

Ok then I'm not in favor of banning what you technically refer to assault rifles. I'm interested in banning weapons that meet the criteria I mentioned. It should be obvious we aren't talking about the same thing. Don't get lost in the details.

Where did you get the notion that assault weapons fire rapidly? It's false but seems to be a very popular notion amongst those in favor of banning "assault weapons" so I'm genuinely interested in how this notion has come to be so wide-spread and accepted as fact.

The media reports it that way often enough and eventually it becomes "fact".

Ok then I'm not in favor of banning what you technically refer to assault rifles. I'm interested in banning weapons that meet the criteria I mentioned. It should be obvious we aren't talking about the same thing. Don't get lost in the details.

Weapons of that sort are already banned or are notoriously hard to get. Have been for a long, long time. What they (Wash DC, media...) are talking about banning are rifles that are single fire just like a hand gun. They call them assault rifles to make them sound more deadly than they are.

One is people trying to look at the immediate impact and the other is people looking at the long run. I firmly maintain that it is equally about both.

When I try and think pragmatically I sometimes forgot I live in America, land of the crazies where they actually teach creationism in school

People and drugs yes.

But with guns it's the other way around - most of the guns in Mexico were smuggled into Mexico from the US.

I would like to see some hard evidence to back this up. Brazil is a major gun manufacturer and I would assume the Mexican drug cartels would prefer actual military weapons as opposed to the military style weapons available in the U.S.. Seems like it would be easier to get real assault rifles from Brazil than to smuggle semi-automatic rifles from the U.S..

I'm not asking you to back up your statement as I'm aware that it's a notion that's been put out there by gun control groups. I'm just very skeptical of it.

When I try and think pragmatically I sometimes forgot I live in America, land of the crazies where they actually teach creationism in school

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Ugh spare me the paranoid Mumbai jumbo. Because everywhere there's been gun regulation there has been a dictatorial uprising. Or an alterior motive besides not wanting to get shot in a mall, on a street, etc.

Ugh spare me the paranoid Mumbai jumbo. Because everywhere there's been gun regulation there has been a dictatorial uprising. Or an alterior motive besides not wanting to get shot in a mall, on a street, etc.

But it is a very real possibility. Plus it is simply my right wether you like it or not.

The problem is that everything except muzzle-loaders, pump-action shotguns and bolt action rifles meets your criteria. So all revolvers, all pistols, many rifles legitimately used in hunting (as a little bit of a side note, AR-15s are regularly used to hunt coyotes, but semi-automatic rifles can and are used to hunt deer as well as semi-auto shotguns used to hunt birds).

So you want to ban 90% or more of the guns people own today.

No, America suddenly becoming a Naziesque fascist state is not a very real possibility. That's called paranoia

Says you. There are plenty of people who think it's far more likely to happen than getting killed in a mass shooting. And they (we) think your sudden urge to ban guns is the real paranoia.

The problem is that everything except muzzle-loaders, pump-action shotguns and bolt action rifles meets your criteria. So all revolvers, all pistols, many rifles legitimately used in hunting (as a little bit of a side note, AR-15s are regularly used to hunt coyotes, but semi-automatic rifles can and are used to hunt deer as well as semi-auto shotguns used to hunt birds).

So you want to ban 90% or more of the guns people own today.

I already said how naive my gun understanding is. Surely if I was enacting any sort of plan I would take a closer look and have all the information, like what you're providing, in front of me and cognizant in my mind. So don't try and snowball me.

Says you. There are plenty of people who think it's far more likely to happen than getting killed in a mass shooting. And they (we) think your sudden urge to ban guns is the real paranoia.

You're right, there are plenty of irrationally paranoid people.

A fascist uprising is more likely than another mass shooting? I like how you call it a sudden urge, as of it was brought on by absolutely nothing.