What's new

Have people here bought into Conley yet?

Super weird not sure how that happened. Here is the one I meant to post:

Yeahhhhh, that number is super inflated by our horrendous garbage time stats. Conley has been, on the whole, better for us this year than Mitchell. Some of that is because his time almost 100% is congruent with Gobert.

We need him contributing in order to continue at our current pace though. Mitchell is not yet ready to be a full time point.

Or am I still going to get LOL'd at for saying the Jazz made the right decision trading for him and keeping him? Has the sample size of good play still been "too small"?
Ya I have come around

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Super weird not sure how that happened. Here is the one I meant to post:

That’s great. I love to see it. Hopefully he hasn’t entered the down pipe of nagging injuries that will affect the rest of the season in one way or another.

He won’t be here next year, though. Bank on it.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Pro-Conley crowd is a little over-eager to disregard last year? More specifically, like, totally ****ing disregard. And do they also seem a little too eager to totally disregard the timing of the Conley acquisition vis-a-vis the Mitchell and Gobert extensions? and how all of this works with regard to the cap going forward?

Seems like it.

With regard to the Conley trade, we came into this year in total salvage mode. Thankfully, it’s working well. We aren’t savaging trade assets or draft capital, or something like that—but we are salvaging our reputation and displaying a wicked brand of basketball. That matters. Hopefully we don’t end up like a Coach Bud Hawks team, but let’s let the optimism ride, eh? But yeah.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Pro-Conley crowd is a little over-eager to disregard last year? More specifically, like, totally ****ing disregard. And do they also seem a little too eager to totally disregard the timing of the Conley acquisition vis-a-vis the Mitchell and Gobert extensions? and how all of this works with regard to the cap going forward?

Seems like it.

With regard to the Conley trade, we came into this year in total salvage mode. Thankfully, it’s working well. We aren’t savaging trade assets or draft capital, or something like that—but we are salvaging our reputation and displaying a wicked brand of basketball. That matters. Hopefully we don’t end up like a Coach Bud Hawks team, but let’s let the optimism ride, eh? But yeah.
I think that the reason we end up like a Bud Hawks team is, if we do so, is because we lack the highest level superstars (but we are more than doubling their margin of victory from their 60-win season, so maybe things might be different for us). It's not because we acquired Conley (unless you think we could have gotten K. Leonard instead).

I think that the reason we end up like a Bud Hawks team is, if we do so, is because we lack the highest level superstars (but we are more than doubling their margin of victory from their 60-win season, so maybe things might be different for us). It's not because we acquired Conley (unless you think we could have gotten K. Leonard instead).
There’s no denying that we pushed All In with Conley. We gave up significant draft assets and a very useful player (Crowder), etc. And, in the process, we lost some ability to add talent via the draft, and we COMPLETELY used our money-to-spend—essentially locking ourselves into this squad.

When you add all of this to the fact that there’s essentially a less than 20% chance that Conley is returning next year (and it’s probably more like a 5% chance, tbh), then you can kinda see that this whole gambit was probably about getting us into the next tier, and therefore hopefully turn a Mitchell-Gobert led team (stuffed full of their respective contract extensions) into a better free agent magnet and get them some deep playoff experience.

Year 1 was obviously mostly a failure.

I'll never love the trade but will always "get" the trade. At some point you have to lay all your cards on the table and go all in. That is what DL did in an attempt to get a ring here. Since then, things have lined up pretty nice. DL turned trash into gold with the Exum/Clarkson deal. Favors resigned on a friendly contract. Durant and Harden went out east. Klay went down again. Lebron still is a gatekeeper though, and he was the one that ended Bud's Hawks run in the conference finals.

Look at last year's posts. You'll see who had his back and who should be eating crow.
What? We’re 25 games into the season and Conley is currently on ice.

It’s massive reductions like this post, which ultimately seek to draw a line in the sand with haters on one side, that I can’t stomach.

All jazz fans want Mike to keep it up. All year. Hopefully this hammy isn’t a repeat.

There’s no denying that we pushed All In with Conley. We gave up significant draft assets and a very useful player (Crowder), etc. And, in the process, we lost some ability to add talent via the draft, and we COMPLETELY used our money-to-spend—essentially locking ourselves into this squad.

When you add all of this to the fact that there’s essentially a less than 20% chance that Conley is returning next year (and it’s probably more like a 5% chance, tbh), then you can kinda see that this whole gambit was probably about getting us into the next tier, and therefore hopefully turn a Mitchell-Gobert led team (stuffed full of their respective contract extensions) into a better free agent magnet and get them some deep playoff experience.

Year 1 was obviously mostly a failure.

I'd take a championship this year as the next tier.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Pro-Conley crowd is a little over-eager to disregard last year? More specifically, like, totally ****ing disregard.
Well the theory last year by the "Pro-Conley crowd" (if we're separating people into two distinct crowds, which seems kind of silly but I'm playing along here), is that Conley needed time to adapt to a new system. The theory by the "Anti-Conley crowd" at that time was that, no, Conley was just washed up.

Clearly, one of those theories was correct, and one was not.

Seems like it.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the anti-Conley crowd is a little over-eager to disregard his entire career outside of the 1st 20 games of last year? More specifically, like, totally ****ing disregard.

Seriously now. The beginning of last year was clearly the outlier. The guy put up 12 excellent years in Memphis and has been excellent this year. Why would anyone ignore all those data points to think the guy in a shooting slump in his first 20 games with a new team was the real Conley? Did we also forget Rubio played like complete *** for the first half season he was in Utah? The guy we are seeing now is the real Conley.

As far as the cap goes, Donovan and Rudy signed their contracts this offseason, so clearly he didn't prevent that from happening. And all it will take to bring him back next season is Ryan Smith's money.

Well the theory last year by the "Pro-Conley crowd" (if we're separating people into two distinct crowds, which seems kind of silly but I'm playing along here), is that Conley needed time to adapt to a new system. The theory by the "Anti-Conley crowd" at that time was that, no, Conley was just washed up.

Clearly, one of those theories was correct, and one was not.
Look at the push factors for creating binary crowds. They’re coming from a certain subset of people who think they’re serving crow.

And the argument wasn’t solely that Conley was washed. There was plenty of nuanced speculation about why he had such a bad year. Cuz he did.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the anti-Conley crowd is a little over-eager to disregard his entire career outside of the 1st 20 games of last year? More specifically, like, totally ****ing disregard.

Seriously now. The beginning of last year was clearly the outlier. The guy put up 12 excellent years in Memphis and has been excellent this year. Why would anyone ignore all those data points to think the guy in a shooting slump in his first 20 games with a new team was the real Conley? Did we also forget Rubio played like complete *** for the first half season he was in Utah? The guy we are seeing now is the real Conley.

As far as the cap goes, Donovan and Rudy signed their contracts this offseason, so clearly he didn't prevent that from happening. And all it will take to bring him back next season is Ryan Smith's money.
You swung and missed on virtually everything I said.

What? We’re 25 games into the season and Conley is currently on ice.

It’s massive reductions like this post, which ultimately seek to draw a line in the sand with haters on one side, that I can’t stomach.

All jazz fans want Mike to keep it up. All year. Hopefully this hammy isn’t a repeat.
Currently on ice? He's missed one ****ing game this season! lol. Give me a break.

Look at the push factors for creating binary crowds. They’re coming from a certain subset of people who think they’re serving crow.

And the argument wasn’t solely that Conley was washed. There was plenty of nuanced speculation about why he had such a bad year. Cuz he did.

Regardless of the reasons, he's been excellent his whole career outside of a few months last year, and he's been excellent all season. I don't understand why you'd expect people to still be focusing on his bad few months.

You strike me as someone that takes a lot of pride in being the smartest person in the room, and would therefore have an extremely difficult time admitting you were wrong. I may be off the mark here, but that's the vibe I get. It's also the only reason I can see why you'd want people to focus more on the few bad months of Conley's career instead of his present excellence, and his excellence from most of his career. Because the alternative is admitting that you were wrong about him, which may be too hard for you to do.

Regardless of the reasons, he's been excellent his whole career outside of a few months last year, and he's been excellent all season. I don't understand why you'd expect people to still be focusing on his bad few months.

You strike me as someone that takes a lot of pride in being the smartest person in the room, and would therefore have an extremely difficult time admitting you were wrong. I may be off the mark here, but that's the vibe I get. It's also the only reason I can see why you'd want people to focus more on the few bad months of Conley's career instead of his present excellence, and his excellence from most of his career. Because the alternative is admitting that you were wrong about him, which may be too hard for you to do.
Lmao.

I’ve vowed not to get into this kinda **** around here. Go ahead and get struck however you’d like.

Currently on ice? He's missed one ****ing game this season! lol. Give me a break.
If hammy issues don’t give you Conley-related nightmares, then good for you.

He’s obviously likely to miss more than one game. And these sort of issues can be dogged and basically impossible to shake during the grind of the season (after a certain level of damage).

We definitely paid handsomely for two seasons of Conley. If he hasn’t just entered the down pipe of nagging injuries again, then it looks like we’re going to get one good season.

^I don’t see one controversial or ‘hater’ thing in that message.

Ciao