What's new

Hayward has agreed to an offer with Hornets

I still believe in DL, but I agree that they missed the boat by letting him get to RFA. Even though there was a good chance the whole team was going to struggle last year, it made a lot more sense to lock him up, keep him happy and show him that they believed in him. They lost the right to dictate the terms of the deal by haggling over money that they couldn't control if they let it get this far.

Hope they learn their lesson with both Burks and Kanter. Both of those guys should get extended this offseason before they have a chance to break out.

I'll agree with the premise that it's not smart for GM's to wait until free agency and let the player "test the market". Either get them signed ASAP or trade them the minute their asking price exceeds what you are willing to pay. In this league especially as a non glamour team it pays to be proactive.

I have never heard: "No one thought *previous role player who has never shown anything close to being a max player* was a max player, but he is really rewarding the GM's faith in him."

I have often heard: "What the **** was this GM thinking giving *previous role player who has never shown anything close to being a max player* a max contract?"

You bet, let's match.

And when Burks's agent tells the Jazz next week that he wants a 4-year, $50 million extension then DL will agree because he doesn't want to make another Hayward mistake.

And when Kanter's agent tells the Jazz next week that he wants a 4-year, $55 million extension then DL will agree because he knows big men always get paid more and he doesn't want to make another Hayward mistake.
Sounds good except burks and kanter may hold out for the max

You bet, let's match.

And when Burks's agent tells the Jazz next week that he wants a 4-year, $50 million extension then DL will agree because he doesn't want to make another Hayward mistake.

And when Kanter's agent tells the Jazz next week that he wants a 4-year, $55 million extension then DL will agree because he knows big men always get paid more and he doesn't want to make another Hayward mistake.

Hayward 15 million
Favors - 12 million
Burks - 12.5 million
Kanter - 13.75 Million
Trey - 2.5 Million
Exum - Exum 4 million??
Gobert - 1-2 million

Around 61 Million for 7 players total.

The luxury tax is..........76.8

Gives us 15 million to sign the other half of the team..........

Are we ok with that??? Did I do my math wrong?? lol Why does it seem like it should be more.

Hayward 15 million
Favors - 12 million
Burks - 12.5 million
Kanter - 13.75 Million
Trey - 2.5 Million
Exum - Exum 4 million??
Gobert - 1-2 million

Are we ok with that??? Did I do my math wrong?? lol Why does it seem like it should be more.
I think exum gets more? Not sure though

Hayward 15 million
Favors - 12 million
Burks - 12.5 million
Kanter - 13.75 Million
Trey - 2.5 Million
Exum - Exum 4 million??
Gobert - 1-2 million

Lol at Burks getting that much money.

The most he will be offered by anyone is 10 million, and that is high-balling it.

Lol at Burks getting that much money.

The most he will be offered by anyone is 10 million, and that is high-balling it.

Are you seriously going to say that just after Hayward got paid 15 million a year? lol

Alex Burks per 36
18 PPG
4 rebounds
3.5 assists
45% from the field
36 from the 3
75% from the FT with 6 attempts per game.

Reminder Hayward played 36 minute per game.

Are you seriously going to say that just after Hayward got paid 15 million a year? lol

Alex Burks per 36
18 PPG
4 rebounds
3.5 assists
45% from the field
36 from the 3
75% from the FT with 6 attempts per game.

Reminder Hayward played 36 minute per game.

Hayward's game is more unique so he gets paid more.

Burks is a pure scorer, there are a lot of those in the league. He will get OJ Mayo-ish money.

Burks is a pure scorer, there are a lot of those in the league. He will get OJ Mayo-ish money.
But burks still has that new car smell (22 years old) that mayo does not

OJ Mayo was capped out. Burks has more potential. A few years younger. Especially seeing what everyone is paying players right now.

Do we really want to extend a player who raps like this????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYK7elqoi4M

Hayward 15 million
Favors - 12 million
Burks - 12.5 million
Kanter - 13.75 Million
Trey - 2.5 Million
Exum - Exum 4 million??
Gobert - 1-2 million

I would be fine with all of that. There would be a problem when Gobert and Burke come due for raises, but DL can cross that bridge when he gets there as far as I'm concerned. That gives the Jazz 3 years with this team to see what they have.

I would be fine with all of that. There would be a problem when Gobert and Burke come due for raises, but DL can cross that bridge when he gets there as far as I'm concerned. That gives the Jazz 3 years with this team to see what they have.

<sigh> My sarcasm needs some work.

This is a tuff spot for DL. You can't blame him for trying. I guess he should have known what was coming with the cap. I didn't. But he should. But even with that, he attempted to pay him for what he is worth. At least he tried. I'm not down on DL for this. He guessed he wouldn't get it. That's all you can do.

I think DL matches. And we hope Hayward can get a lot better. And there is a sliver of hope that it's possible, that he ends up playing well enough to earn 15 per.

This is a tuff spot for DL. You can't blame him for trying. I guess he should have known what was coming with the cap. I didn't. But he should. But even with that, he attempted to pay him for what he is worth. At least he tried. I'm not down on DL for this. He guessed he wouldn't get it. That's all you can do.

I think DL matches. And we hope Hayward can get a lot better. And there is a sliver of hope that it's possible, that he ends up playing well enough to earn 15 per.

And maybe the horse will learn to sing.

Crazy Eddie.

Hayward 15 million
Favors - 12 million
Burks - 12.5 million
Kanter - 13.75 Million
Trey - 2.5 Million
Exum - Exum 4 million??
Gobert - 1-2 million

without exum, wasn't this team the 5th worst in the league?