What's new

Hayward hasn't talked to Snyder, vague on future

Never been that high on him. I don't know. But I'd still like to keep him. He's definitely a nice player.

Hayward just had a tweet that said something to the effect of he 'admires or like how the Spurs have done it with Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan sticking together staying on the same team', I think that's pretty big if you read between the lines. I will find the tweet and post later...

https://twitter.com/gordonhayward/status/479015670286262272

u3ypanar.jpg

This means nothing to me unless he puts his money where his mouth is and takes a substantial pay cut (for him, say 8M?) for the better of the team like those Spurs' players did.

When a player changes his behavior just before free agency it says something. It says even more if it is doing things that his current team has asked him to do but he never did before.

GorDON is gone. Let's all hope for a sign and trade.

Until he signs or gets offer from a team, he won't speak to Jazz. He is not that stupid. He knows that his agent will take care of him. and... if he doesn't want to be with jazz, we can always sign and trade.

Last edited:
It Hayward was impressed by the Spurs then I suggest he do 2 things:

1. Actually develop a game. That might require breaking away from video games this summer and doing that whole practice thing. The evolution that I've seen from the Big 3 is amazing. Tony now has a consistent outside shot, Manu just has a crazy sick game, and Timmy has completely changed his body and game.

2. Take the ball to the rack next year and play hard on defense. I don't recall the Spurs making it easy on anyone on defense. Unlike Hayward last year, who made it sooo easy for defenses to defend him.

Lastly, folks, it's the offseason. I know everyone thinks that these guys are constantly calling and texting each other. They don't.

It's the offseason. Just because Snyder hasn't talked to Hayward doesn't mean the jazz are planning to get rid of him. It doesn't mean Snyder has it in for him. Nor does a simple tweet mean that he's bailing to Boston.

Relax.

Damn guys, Hayward didn't do good in a year where management purposely made the team ****ty and didn't fire a coach who clearly didn't belong. It's all Hayward's fault and now he should suck up to us and beg for us to match his contract and apologize for not extending when he had the chance.

I agree that last year may not have been the best year for measuring GH's worth. However I look at the previous years and I don't think he was that good those years. Every year we had to wait until near midseason for GH to find his game, then when it came to the playoffs or games to get us into the playoffs (crunch time) GH totally faded.

Jealousy. If I was in the same position as Hayward I would try to get the most money I could too. It is a business and the owners are making money so why not the players? Would anyone turn down a few extra million so they could stay with a team? If would they say Yes then they are lying or dumb.

I really don't buy that it's jealousy. I think the main reason is roster construction. If we overpay Hayward it can hurt us down the road. Look at what AKs contract did for years. I know the dollars will be very different but the point is the same. If we overpay Hayward it affects our whole team. Imagine if AK was living up to that contract, we would have been a champ contender no doubt. Problem is he was playing like a $10-12 M player, not a $16-18 player.

I don't think anyone here wants Hayward gone, he's an asset IF we don't overpay him. The minute we overpay him that evaporates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think something is going down with Hayward. Of course, the Jazz can't do anything until after the draft. But as one poster said, when the Jazz didn't sign Hayward to the extension, that was a sign of things to come. I think there were signs that he didn't want to come back around midseason judging by his attitude on the court, and I think he's angling to get back with his college coach in Boston and that the Celtics are working on it. Maybe it will be a sign and trade like someone else on here suggested for Boston's pick. Just because they can't trade him before the draft doesn't mean they can't talk privately about signing and trading him after the draft with another team, does it? And what's to stop Hayward from having private conversations with his old coach?

Physically nothing. If Stevens is caught talking to Hayward as a RFA before Free Agency, then the NBA would penalize the Celtics. It would probably be a substantial fine. And if the Celtics then signed him the NBA might void the contract and forbid Hayward signing with them. See Joe Smith Minnesota Timberwolves.

I really don't buy that it's jealousy. I think the main reason is roster construction. If we overpay Hayward it can hurt us down the road. Look at what AKs contract did for years. I know the dollars will be very different but the point is the same. If we overpay Hayward it affects our whole team. Imagine if AK was living up to that contract, we would have been a champ contender no doubt. Problem is he was playing like a $10-12 M player, not a $16-18 player.

I don't think anyone here wants Hayward gone, he's an asset IF we don't overpay him. The minute we overpay him that evaporates.

The AK example is very different. He way paid a lot more than I expect Hayward to get--I expect about 12 mil per. And the salary cap was much lower.

The AK example is very different. He way paid a lot more than I expect Hayward to get--I expect about 12 mil per. And the salary cap was much lower.

The issue is the same. When you have a player on your roster not living up to his contract it hurts your team.

If Hayward is paid $15 M but plays like an $8-10 M we won't be as good of a team.

Say we have $10 M in cap after signing Hayward for $15 M. Instead of us getting a $15 M FA to help our team we would get a $10 M player.

Hayward better be good enough he makes up for us not getting that more expensive player or we are worse.

Seems pretty straightforward...

AKs last several years he was one of the highest paid in the league. He was up there with KG and co. Can you imagine if AK was on the level of KG during that run with Deron, Booz, and Okur?

Give the guy a break. It's not like he's been sitting on a beach and reading Russian novels. He went to the Philippines to coach for a couple of days. He got married. He's scheduled to do a youth basketball clinic in Midvale in early July. If I were him, I'd be wanting a little time off to myself right now...well, maybe I should rephrase that as time away from teammates/coaches and time with my hot new wife.

Give the guy a break. It's not like he's been sitting on a beach and reading Russian novels. He went to the Philippines to coach for a couple of days. He got married. He's scheduled to do a youth basketball clinic in Midvale in early July. If I were him, I'd be wanting a little time off to myself right now (and spending as much time as possible with my hot new wife).

You obviously haven't seen her. She's not hot.

She's a cute grade school chick. But she isn't hot.

Want to see hot women?

Go to UVU or UoU campuses. Check out Belmont condos in Provo. Hit up university Golds. Visit Vivint. Go to a jazz game. The girls working the cash registers are hotter.

Want to see hot women?

Go to UVU or UoU campuses. Check out Belmont condos in Provo. Hit up university Golds. Visit Vivint.

To Gordon, she's "hot." He calls her the love of his life. So in the first month or two after marriage, I'm sure he wants to spend time working up a sweat with her instead of with a coach and some of his teammates from last year.

Nice try on the recovery but you were obviously being a smart ***, not taking a "shot in the dark." .

Why was it not a shot in the dark? I wondered the same thing myself. Thought as a FA the Jazz FO couldn't make contact with him before July 1st. It's really a gray area. So they can make contact, but can't speak about a contract. A little awkward, IMO. Besides, if Hayward showed up to work out with Synder, it would be a media circus. Every Jazz reporter would be asking him, Snyder and DL about their plans, which neither the Jazz nor Hayward could address. From the Jazz' side, it's better to just have Hayward keep his distance until July 1st; that's only a few weeks away. And from Hayward's, it's MUCH better to stay away; cozy up to Snyder and other teams won't want to make an offer. Also, Gordo will want to make 100% sure he doesn't injure himself before the ink dries on a new contract. Practice some shooting, increase cardio by "working out" with the new wife, but do NOT participate in any drills where an ACL, MCL or anything in "H-L" can go wrong.

Wrong...Gordon Hayward is under contract with the Utah Jazz until July 1, 2014.

According to Wikipedia:

July moratorium
Players on a team's season-ending roster remain under contract with their respective team until the start of free agency on July 1.[32] During a period in the beginning of July, teams may begin negotiating with free agents, but trades cannot be made and most free agents cannot be signed. The salary cap for the upcoming year is not set until the league's audit is completed by the end of the period.

See above...Why can't a coach talk to his own player that is still under contract (and vice versa)?

Even though he is officially with the Jazz, realistically he is not. In less than two weeks he has no ties to any team, and does not know what is in his future. The same happened with Mathews and Miles. Mathews made it known he wanted to stay, but he had no ties with the team after the season.

We are so busy trying to read between the lines. Sometimes there is nothing to read. The Jazz like it that way

Want to see hot women?

Go to UVU or UoU campuses. Check out Belmont condos in Provo. Hit up university Golds. Visit Vivint. Go to a jazz game. The girls working the cash registers are hotter.

lol

Want to see hot women?

what is this