What's new

Hayward & Jazz - not close to agreement (Hayward leaving 4/40 on the table)

They will not match. Too cheap. As locke said (who was way to involved in this), if they decide they would match any offer, he would have been signed tonite.

I don't agree with this logic. If it turns out that the Jazz are really forced to pay max or close-to-max to keep Hayward, they can still do it this coming off-season. They don't lose anything by passing on that offer for the time being. There's no reason for the Jazz to flinch or to bid against themselves at this stage. Make Hayward and the rest of the league prove that Hayward is a max contract, and match then if desired.

It's pretty obvious where the Jazz made the call on this. Teams know the Jazz are interested in keeping him and not for mere chump change either. The Jazz are also substantially under the cap this offseason, so there are no IMMEDIATE punitive ramifications for matching a big offer. So a team basically needs to be prepared to go all-in on grabbing Hayward, at which point, the Jazz can just shrug and move on.

With front offices becoming smarter and the new CBA doing it's job, I am currently not terribly concerned about the situation. Hayward will leave when a team offers a completely ridiculous offer or the Jazz get him for something close to fair value and that's how it should be.

The Jazz are going for it on 4th and short just past field goal range and just inside punting range.

It's pretty obvious where the Jazz made the call on this. Teams know the Jazz are interested in keeping him and not for mere chump change either. The Jazz are also substantially under the cap this offseason, so there are no IMMEDIATE punitive ramifications for matching a big offer. So a team basically needs to be prepared to go all-in on grabbing Hayward, at which point, the Jazz can just shrug and move on.

With front offices becoming smarter and the new CBA doing it's job, I am currently not terribly concerned about the situation. Hayward will leave when a team offers a completely ridiculous offer or the Jazz get him for something close to fair value and that's how it should be.

The Jazz are going for it on 4th and short just past field goal range and just inside punting range.

We're playing basketball bro, not football.

Lindsey is a boss. I really like Hayward and I really hope he stays with the Jazz. That being said, if the two sides were several millions apart as it is being reported, Hayward is asking for too much money and Lindsey won't screw up his plans by locking him up for more money than he's worth. He locked up Favors because he knows how important it is to have a big who can anchor a team on the defensive end. No reason to give Hayward 12+million unless he proves he deserves it first. Plus, it's not likely that another team will offer more money than he's asking right now next summer. Smart move IMO.

Hayward is going to earn his several million this season with stellar play. Good move by both sides. Hayward obviously believes in himself, and the jazz want him to prove his worth. Win-win-win. Best of all situations.

@Jazz1600AM: 2014 max for GH: Jazz can offer 4y/61M (and change) or 5/78.8M. Best another team can offer is 4/57M. No 5-year offer for other teams.

From Woj article:

"The sides never came close on a deal, remaining several million dollars apart, league sources told Yahoo. Hayward had been seeking a deal in the four-year, $50-million plus range, sources said. "

So it sounds like he wanted 13 per totaling 52. Max any team can offer him (if they are bat**** crazy) is 57 which we can match.

Jazz had ZERO incentive to meet his demand.

Smart move.

Hayward is going to earn his several million this season with stellar play. Good move by both sides. Hayward obviously believes in himself, and the jazz want him to prove his worth. Win-win-win. Best of all situations.

Quite the risk.

He gets hurt and he's looking at 8 per.

I'm just surprised he didn't think he had anything to lose.

Welp. W/ever.

Per ESPN, Jazz offered $50M but wouldn't move past that number.

Wow. If that's true, Gordo and his agent need to put down the bubbler. Well played by Lindsey. Hayward thinks very, very highly of himself.

Per ESPN, Jazz offered $50M but wouldn't move past that number.

Wow. If that's true, Gordo and his agent need to put down the bubbler. Well played by Lindsey. Hayward thinks very, very highly of himself.

If we really offered 4/50 then not well played Lindsey.

Going away from 4/50 expecting 4/52 means only one thing - he would be happy to move out of Utah provided reports are legit. There is no business sense what so ever in such decision. 50m gives him longer dick than Favors' if he was after that. I am genuinely puzzled by all this.

There is no way Hayward said no to 4/50...unless he wants out.

BUT, I don't think that is the case, because I don't think the Jazz would be dumb enough to offer Hayward 4/50. I bet they offered him 4/32 or 4/36 and Hayward said he wanted 4/48. Jazz say prove it and Hayward said ok.

No biggie.